You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First came the French and then the Spanish. Now?

Anny Road

I'd care very much if it meant we had players like Drogba, Toure, Eboue and Keita. It'd be cunt overload!

Not that I'm generalising about a whole country of course. Ivorians clearly aren't all cunts, but 99% of them are.

Probably wasn't the greatest country to use as an example.

I dont think it makes a difference all the time but I do remember our must successfull period under Houllier we had Stevie,Carra,Fowler,Murphy and Judas in our team who were all local lads

I also remember another period when we had lots of English players;

David James

Jason McAteer (Irish, but born local)

Paul Ince

Jamie Redknapp

Steve McManaman

Robbie Fowler

Stan Collymore

The Spice boys no less, more interested in themselves than the club (Robbie being the exception), I could also throw in Chunky Razor

David James

Paul Ince

Jamie Redknapp

Steve McManaman

Robbie Fowler

Stan Collymore

The Spice boys no less, more interested in themselves than the club (Robbie being the exception), I could also throw in Chunky Razor

And yet they still managed a title challenge.

The Spice Boys is pretty uselss evidence that we shouldn't try to have a British core to the squad. It's not like it is a choice between British players and discipline.

Lots of teams have had a British core recently and achieved good results (Chelsea and Mancs for instance).

David James

Paul Ince

Jamie Redknapp

Steve McManaman

Robbie Fowler

Stan Collymore

Sorry to be a pedant but Collymore and Ince never played together.

I am not saying that going for British players is not a good idea, just replying to the point of the success under Ged, the fact we had British/local players does not in itself mean success.

I am of the firm believe we should have players who want to play for us, irresspective of nationality.

And yet they still managed a title challenge.

Hmmm, I think it is more pertinent that they only managed to win a Littlewoods Cup! The title challenge faded in 97, the moment, they had an ounce of pressure put on them.

They were predominantly British, and predmoninantly underachieved because essentially they couldn't give a fuck!

And, we were more or less alongside United the biggest club at the time, and the bigger draw, talking of a title challenge with that side at that time simply emphasises the dissapointment.

They took advantage of Roy and abused his trust in them. To this day I can't abide Ruddock.

Not particularly slagging Ged or Rafa or the signings they made but both obviously had a knowledge of their homeland when it can to players.

One worry I had with Roy was that we would be trawling the Finnish and Swiss league for bargains.

To say it is refreshing to see us going for British lads is an understatement.

Much as the Spanish lads are crackers a hard core of British lads will be tremendous.

Sorry for the new thread but rum makes me positive.

I don't think we signed Cole primarily because he's a Brit. If he was French or Spanish or Italian, it wouldn't matter - he's here cos he is cheap.

I don't expect any more from Cole than I did when Fowler resigned. Past his best, and he's a fill-in. A 'Temp'.

Wilson may be a good signing tho..the Scottish lad. He has investment written all over him.