You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest TK-421

Again we can see inconsistencies with the club's approach this summer.

At the outset of the search for a new manager Cecil said he wanted a candidate with recent European experience.

Now we have the manager downplaying the importance of the Europa league, and publically stating that he needs clarification from his club as to how he should approach the competition.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again we can see inconsistencies with the club's approach this summer.

At the outset of the search for a new manager Cecil said he wanted a candidate with recent European experience.

Now we have the manager downplaying the importance of the Europa league, and publically stating that he needs clarification from his club as to how he should approach the competition.

Roy's mentioned a couple of times that our medical staff have advised against playing our top players, and to be honest if any decision other than following that advice is taken (by Roy or, as he may have suggested, anybody else at the club) I'd be pretty fucked off, especially given our problems with injuries last year.

Think we should give the two games to the youngsters and if they win, fair enough, bring a few more first teamers in as and when it's appropriate. If they lose then it's still good experience for them and we can crack on with our domestic campaign. As long as we don't go all out to win at the expense of our players' health.

Guest TK-421
Roy's mentioned a couple of times that our medical staff have advised against playing our top players, and to be honest if any decision other than following that advice is taken (by Roy or, as he may have suggested, anybody else at the club) I'd be pretty fucked off, especially given our problems with injuries last year.

Think we should give the two games to the youngsters and if they win, fair enough, bring a few more first teamers in as and when it's appropriate. If they lose then it's still good experience for them and we can crack on with our domestic campaign. As long as we don't go all out to win at the expense of our players' health.

It's crept up on us this Europa game, hasn't it?

The squad is not complete in terms of comings or goings and the upshot is Roy's interview above, practically admitting there's a good chance we won't make it through.

Yes, but the point I am trying to make, is 60 million pounds in our back pocket will probably have a big say on our transfer targets!

It could be Benzema and Eto'o, it could be Huntelar and VDF, or it could be Ozil and Benzema, but until we know what we have we can't really be expected to make decisions.

you think? i think it's more likely to be finding it's way out to a numbered account somewhere where a cunt with a head like a hamburger knows the number.

Did that include the TV money + gate receipts?

Wiki says this for last season :

* 1st qualifying round: 90.000 €

* 2nd qualifying round: 90.000 €

* 3rd qualifying round: 90.000 €

* Playoffs: 90.000 €

* Group stage: 1.000.000 €

* Group match victory: 140.000 €

* Group match draw: 70.000 €

* 1st knock out round: 200.000 €

* 2nd knock out round: 300.000 €

* Quarter-finals: 400.000 €

* Semi-finals: 700.000 €

* Final: 2.000.000 €

* Winning the final: 1.000.000 €

It's crept up on us this Europa game, hasn't it?

The squad is not complete in terms of comings or goings and the upshot is Roy's interview above, practically admitting there's a good chance we won't make it through.

I'm sure he'll be thinking they'll knock us out. Even going into the Al-Hilali game he was talking about how he hopes we won't be beaten too badly (I have no idea, on a comparative scale, how good Rabonicki or whatever are compared to Al-Hilali).

He doesn't seem to have a great opinion of our youngsters, but due to the proximity of the opening game of the world cup, the only players we could really play or have brought in would be those who did not feature at the WC. Whether we are targeting any such players, and whether their moves are predicated upon the sales of players with uncertain futures, such as Masch, I'm not sure.

I'm tempted not to be too critical if we go out. Best case scenario would have been identifying in advance, and signing, anybody who a) we can currently afford and b) was at a country not represented at the world cup, or who was not chosen to represent their country. That probably isn't a particularly long list, and I'm not sure the one or two players who fall into it would have made a huge difference to our starting lineup.

The only thing that would really attract my ire would be seeing the likes of Cole, Stevie and Carra thrust in too early - our team's 'spine' - with younger players built around it. Given the stakes of the competition, there's no real need for it. Hopefully whoever's calling the shots will realise that.

Like Luke Young as a player, reminds me of Finnan a bit, just a good solid player, nothing fancy. But surely a left back is more pressing and surely Kelly should be looked upon as our back-up RB anyway?

Do not want KJH. For what he'd cost, i'd rather get someone that has a bit more to their game than goal hanging.

I never get the whole clamour for Steve Clarke thing, why does anyone think he’s any good?

He’s a Chelsea goon.

The whole assistant coach thing is a bit daft, i just don't know how anyone can have much of an opinion on them as we've got pretty much fuck all of an idea of what they do. People were giving Pellegrino stick last season and for what? Holding a clip board?

Cheers with match day income in the region of 750K->1.5m I don't think we're in a position to turn our noses up at it personally.

Even if we win every game in the tournament (which we wont), we'll only win about 7 mio. euros.

In comparison you stand to get 5,4 mio. euros for just qualifying to the group stages of the CL and 600.000 for a win in the group.

I think we sure do our best to ignore this tournament. Field youngsters and give them valuable playing time and see where it takes us.

Finnan's technique, passing and crossing were a lot better than Yong's.

He was far better at defending too.

Crossing, I'll give you that. Don't think Young lacks in technique or passing though, he plays on the left pretty comfortably which requires some level of technique being naturally right footed. I don't think Finnan could have played on the left as well as Young has for Villa for instance. Young has more pace too.

Cheers with match day income in the region of 750K->1.5m I don't think we're in a position to turn our noses up at it personally.

Meaning if we had a good run (semi final) we could get €6m plus another £7m in gate revenue. Is it worth risking CL qualification for by playing a full team from start to finish? I don't know to be honest, but I would sway in favour of playing the kids, and if they qualify, improve the team depending on our opposition and league performance. But the one thing I am sure about is, our big players NEED a rest before the league kicks off.

Guest simon

I think the kids with a few first team players would cope in the Euro. I wouldnt sugest not trying to win it though play kids through groups and stuff an the finals play a proper team.