You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

'I want to stay at Liverpool' - Lucas

Guest Deadbeat

Guest Deadbeat

Sorry, I meant Lucas.

With the friendly action kicking off tonight in Austria, we spoke to Lucas Leiva - one of the most experienced players in the travelling party - about pre-season, his new boss and his future.

How are you finding the early days in our pre-season training camp?

It's a lovely place, we were here last season and it's a nice place to work and rest. It's a nice place to relax when we have time, but the important thing is having a good pre-season and making sure we have a better season than last year.

How was your summer?

It was really good. Of course I would have liked to be at the World Cup but it wasn't possible. Unfortunately, Brazil went out in the quarter-final, but I was happy for my teammates - Dirk and Ryan - after that game. I spent time in Brazil with family and friends and now I am back looking forward to having a good season and to helping Liverpool.

Are you happy to be back?

Yes, of course. A lot of changes have taken place over the last few weeks. I wish Rafa all the best because he was really important for me here, but now we're with Roy and I hope everybody can be happy and have a better season.

What are your early impressions of our new manager?

Really good. He seems to be very good as a coach, good with the tactical side of the game. We just want to make sure we have a better season. If everyone gets their fitness as soon as possible and the players on holiday come back and get themselves ready, then I think we will have a big chance.

Roy is obviously very experienced in the game, how much do you feel he can help a youngster like yourself to develop?

He will help everyone but for me he has a lot of experience, he has worked with big players at big clubs so his experience will help in giving me advice to help improve my game. I am feeling better every season and I hope that this season will be better again.

How different is he compared to other managers you have worked for?

I have only had three managers as a professional but I think he is similar to my first manager in Brazil. He likes to work on the shape of the team a lot, he is aware of all the small details, so we have to listen to the information he gives us and do what he wants us to do. Hopefully it will be successful.

As we know, it's a very young squad here in Switzerland - so you are one of the most experienced players. Do you help the younger lads and give them advice?

I feel old here because most of the senior lads are away. We have a lot of youngsters with us so I try to help them with the experience I have picked up from working with senior players. If I can help then it will be really good for them in the future.

Video: Lucas on his future>>

What sort of advice do you give?

In training sessions I talk to them about positions and things like that. I like to talk to everyone so if someone wants to ask me a question I try to help and give him the information I have learnt. It's good to have different players here, young players who will be important in the future.

Like many players at this stage of the summer, there has been some speculation about your future. What can you tell us?

At the moment we don't know what is going to happen. I'm happy in Liverpool and looking forward to my fourth season. I hope I stay. I'm happy to play for Liverpool and to improve my performances, as I did last season. We don't know too much. There is a lot of speculation but we will see when the players all come back what will happen.

You proved a lot of people wrong with your performances last season - how confident are you that you can take another step forward this year?

My target at Liverpool always is to be positive with myself. I'm not here to try to prove critics wrong. I'm here to prove myself to the manager and my teammates. That's the most important thing. I don't know why people criticise me so much, but I just try to be positive and be strong. I know I had a good season last season and hope it will be even better this season. I have to keep going.

Are you strong-minded and take much notice of any criticism which may come your way?

I try not to read the papers because I don't see too many good things about me. I have to be strong in my mind. My only target is to be strong for myself, to feel good, feel that my performances are getting better and show the manager that I can play and have the quality that he expects. I think the fans have changed towards me.

What is your personal target for this season?

I'd like to play every game. We don't know the team Roy is thinking about starting with, but we have to show him we have the quality to be in his side.

I am confident we will have a better season. When there are lots of changes new motivation comes through and I think we can do better. We will do better.

Do you have a message for Liverpool fans?

Keep supporting us as you have always done. Believe in us and try to give us the confidence to go and win games. We will try one hundred per cent all the time in a Liverpool shirt.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get either the joke of this article, nor the venom in the attacking responses. Isn't this just an article posted of one of our lads' interviews? Not sure the poster is trying to wind anyone up. Or am I missing something?

I don't care if the lad stays or goes personally. At this point he isn't good enough, but I feel with the right mentoring he could eventually make the grade. The lad's attitude is spot on, just not quite there ability wise at the minute in my very humble opinion. Wouldn't be a great loss, but wouldn't roll my eyes if he's in the squad come the Arsenal game. I would if he was starting though.

They're my thoughts on it, for what it's worth.

Guest PurpleNose
Thats cus Brazils new manager is Lucas old boss from Gremio.

Expect lucas to take felipe melos place in that side

I am. He's better than Melo.

I am a little bit embarrassed that we have a young player on our books who seemingly loves the club & never gives less than 100% , but has to avoid reading the press as he is constantly slammed. Even worse is that the best fans in the world fight with each other to outdo the vitriol that the press can come up with.

Guest PurpleNose
I am a little bit embarrassed that we have a young player on our books who seemingly loves the club & never gives less than 100% , but has to avoid reading the press as he is constantly slammed. Even worse is that the best fans in the world fight with each other to outdo the vitriol that the press can come up with.

Says a lot about the player's character, and unfortunately that of many of our fans.

Agreed.

Guest davelfc

He will look better and better in the team as our squad quickly loses more and more quality.

I don't think he is shit though. I was going to say that he isn't good enough for Liverpool but that bar sinks by the day.