You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest simon

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wouldn't be the 1st liverpool player to do that, so I don't see how that's a stick to beat him with. Personally I find it depressing our players do it, but they have done for years. We just have to accept it's a 1 publication boycott and be happy that's respected.

Pretty sure the Support Group had help from the paper with publicity etc for the Justice Concert and CD 13 years ago. HJC weren't quite so tolerant, it's a long time ago to recollect fully but it might have been one of the (many) divisive issues that created two groups in the first place.

Always been a grey area, since there are no quotes from the paper indicating any kind of Hillsborough smear.

All the Sunday Sun stuff has conveniently for some ignored the elephant in the room ie that Murdoch is the biggest connection between the papers. Personally I could claim to 'boycott' the NOTW since I always found it a foul scandal sheet that ruined people's lives for others' smutty peccadillos (sp?) but it's just a matter of good taste actually.

Murdoch's other branches, the Times and Sky for example, not so much of a big skweam when Liverpool players and fans use them. I cynically suspect that if Bascombe had backed Rafa to the hilt in the maniacal one-eyed way others have, it wouldn't have become quite such a divisive issue. Getting the message out there, using the biggest platform etc.

Yossi would have been better advised to keep low, but signing for Chelsea will probably have done for him anyway. I think Hodgson might have used him a bit more, certainly.

As rome 84 says, good scoop I suppose.

Guest Pistonbroke
Yossi moans about lack of first team oppurtunities, about being dropped for games when he wanted to play etc. Then he goes and joins Chelsea.........Loses all credibility. Classless act to sell his story to the 'Sunday S*n', no doubt he'll be in for a booing upon return next season.

Yossi explained all that in the interview and said he knows he'll have to fight to get a game. He was just miffed at being dropped by Rafa after having a good game etc. Not saying i agree with him coming out with all of this now but he isn't the first and he certainly won't be the last player to do this.

Yossi explained all that in the interview and said he knows he'll have to fight to get a game. He was just miffed at being dropped by Rafa after having a good game etc. Not saying i agree with him coming out with all of this now but he isn't the first and he certainly won't be the last player to do this.

Yes I did read the interview, the bit about Chelsea seemed like he said it as more of an afterthought so he didn't look like a complete idiot. The fact remains, he'll get less playing time at Chelsea, definitely less starts, be shunted out in different positions and be dropped after playing well. He's not gonna keep Malouda, Lampard, Anelka and Kalou out of the side when the superior Joe Cole couldn't.

I thought it was already stated on here, from Mr Usher, that he wasn't paid for the interview.

It shows how eager Bascombe would have been for the story. If it was pro-Rafa in any way, from Yossi, would Bascombe have ran with it?

I wouldn't have thought so.

It shows how eager Bascombe would have been for the story. If it was pro-Rafa in any way, from Yossi, would Bascombe have ran with it?

Because then it wouldn't have been of any fucking interest to anyone, would it?

Great back-page that:

"Yossi Says Rafa Was OK"

Read our exclusive inside as Benayoun lifts the lid on the Anfield dressing room and reveals how everything was "pretty alright, really"

You can imagine the clamour of people all scrambling to the shops to read that exclusive.

It's a fucking newspaper.

Guest Pistonbroke
Yes I did read the interview, the bit about Chelsea seemed like he said it as more of an afterthought so he didn't look like a complete idiot. The fact remains, he'll get less playing time at Chelsea, definitely less starts, be shunted out in different positions and be dropped after playing well. He's not gonna keep Malouda, Lampard, Anelka and Kalou out of the side when the superior Joe Cole couldn't.

Then again he might, we won't know until he starts playing for them. He was one of our best players when played in a position which suited his game.

I don't know the industry, but I'm guessing any sports journalist from any newspaper would have wanted and ran the same story.

And as I stated on this thread previously, there have been examples of Bascombe interviewing people who have praised Rafa. One that springs to mind was a piece with Sammy Lee, where he compares Rafa to Shankly.

I like Chris but this is funny!

Football365 | Mediawatch | The Page That Will Probably Have To Start Talking To Its Friends Now

Tweet tweet

The News Of The World head honcho Paul McCarthy looked a little bleary-eyed in his usual slot on Sky Sports News this morning and a quick visit to his Twitter feed offers one possible reason.

'30 more minutes of this dross? Shoot me now. Just glad of BBQ and copious amount of Pimms and Stella this afternoon in 85 degrees. Quality' waheyed McCarthy.

We also suspect he may have been on the pop when writing this one too: 'Is there a more cynical player than MvBommel...somebody should just top him and have done with it. No right-minded jury would convict.'

Draconian.

However, our favourite tweet from yesterday came with his usual policy of tooting the NOTW horn.

'BTW, before I forget, big up to my man Bascombe for Yossi piece today. Good old-fashioned NOTW stuff at its best.'

The piece in question was the article on Benayoun's dissing (if McCarthy can use inappropriate ghetto talk, then so can we) of Rafa Benitez, 968 words in length, of which author Chris Bascombe wrote 160 - the rest being Yossi's words.

So by 'good old-fashioned NOTW stuff' he presumably means 'not doing much'.

As Brian Clough once said..."that's not writing, son, that's typing".

Guest PurpleNose
Were people really scrambling to buy the NOTW because of Yossi's interview?

I was just thinking that.

NOTW can print anything. Spastics will continue buying it regardless.

It must be galling for all the anti-Rafa obsessives on here - as well as their representative at the NoW and their soul-mate Purslow - that far from hurting Rafa's reputation, the Yossi rant has increased respect for him.

In a nutshell - Rafa acquired Yossi as a decent journeyman squad-player and coaxed better performances from him than Yossi had ever achieved before. He supported him against fan criticism and offered him a pay raise and contract extension last season. When Yossi became too big for his boots, and wanted to become first choice, belittling other players in the process, Rafa reminded him of his role as a squad player and when Yossi started talking to other clubs, told him thanks and goodbye. That's good management. As usual Rafa insisted on making a profit from the sale. But since Rafa has gone Purslow has kept the actual sale price secret. I bet even Hodgson doesn't know it.

A different spin on the whole 'It just fell into his lap' explanation for the story.

Again, from Football 365:

Correspondence

On Monday morning, this column made a few gentle mentions of The News Of The World's Paul McCarthy Twittering. Or twittering Twittering, even.

Well, the man himself has been in touch.

He writes:

'You're absolutely right, bedraggled and suffering from that hideous pre-sleep hangover best describes my viewing state for Sunday night's match.

'And, yes, 'inappropriate ghetto talk' is hugely embarrassing...but not as embarrassing as it is for my teenage daughter to read knowing all her friends think her dad's a prat.

'But that was a bit harsh on Chris Bascombe. He worked tirelessly to speak to Benayoun and was rewarded by a call back on Friday night.

'In a newspaper world where we're spoon-fed sanitised quotes, to have a top player speaking as honestly as Benayoun and happy not to pull any punches verges on the remarkable. Which is precisely why we ran the Yossi quotes at such length.'

So he basically begged someone, anyone, to say nasty words about Rafa.

That's the way I see it.

Yossi makes some fair points and seems a decent lad, but the article was clearly set up by the journalist solely to take a swipe at Benitez. Pretty petty and pathetic stuff.

I'm looking forward to his world exclusive interview with Patrice Luzi next week on how Houllier destroyed his confidence. It'll be about as relevant to our current situation as that Yossi piece is.

Guest TK-421

Yossi makes some fair points and seems a decent lad, but the article was clearly set up by the journalist solely to take a swipe at Benitez. Pretty petty and pathetic stuff.

Yep, Rafa's gone. Bascombe should get over it.

Considering the fact that you've changed your avatar to an Inter logo, I'd say you still think Benitez is relevant.

Of course I do. I still like the guy a lot and I'm looking forward to seeing how he fares in Italy.

I'd just rather the media highlighted the acute problems currently destroying the club. Pretty unlikely with the NOTW though.