You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest simon

For instance I was told by someone close to Moores that Moores was due to come out much sooner than he did but the leaking of what he was going to do to Bascombe and Bascombe contacting Moores put him off.

Something Bascombe has vehemently denied.

Incidentally, Graham, do you know if SoS got any kind of membership bump from that 'coming out', because it appeared to some as a self-pitying train-wreck at the time.

Just curious.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something Bascombe has vehemently denied.

Just curious.

Where does Bascombe make these denials and comments? I thought he was a journalist working for the NoW. Surely he should explain himself on there? He seems to have a shadowy parallel existence on this forum - which also happens to have a core of vocal anti-Rafa wallahs, like himself.

That's never been said - the journalistic criticisms have always been based upon the journalists peddling the senior management and owner side of things, nothing about Benitez.

As will be proved now we have a new manager and we see what new dynamics emerge.

I hope so.

How is it a nothing story ? they are all quotes so Benny did say these things !

Its not nothing its massive its 3rd players to come out and say in so many words Rafa is a bully and asshole and I for one wanted to know this infomation due to fact I been banging on for a while that Rafa has been harming our clubs chances of winning any thing.

If there was no quotes I would agree and call it tosh , a nothing sotry bla bla but fact is there is quotes they paint a picture and I agree with it.

If you wanna put ya head in sand and think every thing Rafa touched turn to gold you go ahead lad but I perfer to know the truth.As more and more players speak out that truth should shape its self.

Btw

This bit really pissed me off go fuck ya self because you clearly never played pro football and understand the pressures you face and if some manager is making you look like a muppet to your fans it really hurts it really really hurts and for him to sit on that to not upset the fans when he was there must have been hell.

I know they're quotes, that's why the words are in quotation marks. But as I said ho cares?

As for "I've never played pro football, blah,blah" I assume you're looking for a bite, as it must be awful earnings millions a year and to be abused in such a way you only get 2 hours notice you've got to work. However, I would expect you to understand how tough it is to deal with that judging by the "pro" career you've had. You're claim to fame is knowing Peter shilton, hardly qualifies you to know how tough it is for a millionaire Chelsea mercenary.

There's always going to be a potential problem with hacks who have to cover a certain club indefinitely. Unless they're incredibly thick-skinned and/or saint-like, they'll end up being niggled by more and more things and people (see, for example, Brian Reade's memoir about his days covering the club). I've always had the impression Bascombe is an unusually thin-skinned character, and the pattern that develops is: a new manager arrives; Chris gives him a fair deal until he upsets Chris; Chris decides the manager isn't right for LFC; Chris gets negative. I just hope he takes a step back this time and tries a bit harder not to take things so personally.

What a load of tripe. How can somebody push you out of a club when they are no longer there?

Rafa has left yet still managed to push Yossi out of the club. If he loved the club so much he could have changed his mind and stayed put.

If anybody believes Yossi was pushed instead of chose togo they are crazier than an alligator in space.

And people say footballers are dumb. Well Yossi definitely seems to be. Unless he is busy earning some corn. Article, brand new contract, how else is he going to make some money?

He should stick to fashioning that jacket made from circumcised foreskins. He has gone down in my estimation.

To be fair to Bascombe, the reservations he's had about the last two managers have been proven to be correct haven't they?

Perhaps although I feel that his reservations are more akin to things that Benayoun has said than actually thinking of it in a footballing way.

Perhaps although I feel that his reservations are more akin to things that Benayoun has said than actually thinking of it in a footballing way.

Those things affect the football though; players who are unhappy, lacking in faith etc are less likely to play good football.

Those things affect the football though; players who are unhappy, lacking in faith etc are less likely to play good football.

True, although wasn't what I was meaning. What I meant was more to the fact that Bascombe felt 'left out' or 'unfairly targetted' by the previous 2 managers and that that had more bearing on his general opinions than the actual football, direction of the club etc, side of things. Similar to Benayoun, Riera etc.

True, although wasn't what I was meaning. What I meant was more to the fact that Bascombe felt 'left out' or 'unfairly targetted' by the previous 2 managers and that that had more bearing on his general opinions than the actual football, direction of the club etc, side of things. Similar to Benayoun, Riera etc.

Impossible to say, seeing as the football, direction of the club etc drastically deteriorated, much like under Houllier.

Impossible to say, seeing as the football, direction of the club etc drastically deteriorated, much like under Houllier.

It probably is impossible to say although I feel that Bascombe turned on Rafa before this happened. I really can't remember at what point it happened under the Houllier reign.

Player quotes are player quotes regardless of were they are from, jesus its splashed all over the internet,press and radios.

Mong

Good grief.

That level of ignorance is ban worthy.

Not one for saying things like that, but fucking hell.

Dan's a Koptalk refugee. They are less discerning about certain things I believe.

Why was George Costanza banned?

Anti-Semitic comments?

To be fair to Bascombe, the reservations he's had about the last two managers have been proven to be correct haven't they?

I wouldn't confuse a correlation with a causal relationship. He appeared to take a personal dislike of a succession of managers, who also failed to keep progressing as managers. The latter isn't necessarily the reason for the former. Never, ever, let it get personal when you're reporting, because if you do every aspect, every detail, every event gets processed through that biased perspective, and, crucially, you end up - without even realising it - being as chronically destructive as the likes of the 'Sunday Supplement' mob.

For fuck sakes this thread is embarrassing. I am in-different to Bascombe, I have spoke to him regarding a few things I have said but there is nothing wrong with the article. It is a platform for Yossi to speak of his time, it has NOTHING to do with Bascombe. I have slated his opinion pieces in which he can be judged for what he writes but here he is writing what Yossi has said. Just because it is Bascombe doesn't mean it should be dismissed because like it or not he does know his stuff.

I've slated a few of his articles but there isn't much wrong with what he has wrote and this thread is mental.

Yossi has gone. He's slated Rafa's man-management skills. Surely the 19 pages of crap should be debating the comments Yossi has made, not targetting the publisher of the comments?

I really don't get the obsession with Bascombe...

Yossi is a fucker for going to the press with his comments my opinion of him has gone well down. As someone said earlier in the thread he should save it for his book if he feels he must tell the world.

I'm getting a bit sick of these 'men' crying about the harsh treatment at the hand of there manager etc.

For fuck sakes this thread is embarrassing. I am in-different to Bascombe, I have spoke to him regarding a few things I have said but there is nothing wrong with the article. It is a platform for Yossi to speak of his time, it has NOTHING to do with Bascombe. I have slated his opinion pieces in which he can be judged for what he writes but here he is writing what Yossi has said. Just because it is Bascombe doesn't mean it should be dismissed because like it or not he does know his stuff.

I've slated a few of his articles but there isn't much wrong with what he has wrote and this thread is mental.

Yossi has gone. He's slated Rafa's man-management skills. Surely the 19 pages of crap should be debating the comments Yossi has made, not targetting the publisher of the comments?

I really don't get the obsession with Bascombe...

Well put

Yossi is a fucker for going to the press with his comments my opinion of him has gone well down. As someone said earlier in the thread he should save it for his book if he feels he must tell the world.

I'm getting a bit sick of these 'men' crying about the harsh treatment at the hand of there manager etc.

If he had done that then no doubt you would be slating him for keeping the story to himself for a book so he can profit from it.

I think the reason Bascombe may be being attacked is because this is a fairly propagandic article.

1) It reinforces the decision to sack Benitez and replace him with Hodgson, a man who is reputed to get the best out of his players and nobody really moans about.

2) It vindicates the ownership of the club for agreeing the sale of Benayoun in the absence of a manager.

That is essentially how I see the piece. Some will say that the above points both speak for themselves and there is truth behind them, others will be more skeptical. The fact remains that Bascombe's name is on an article that fulfils both of these functions, and both functions essentially serve to support the decisions of the owners/board.

Personally I think Yossi has had a problematic attitude for a long time and this piece does him no favours. He also wasn't that good a player. Decent dribbling but so many times he didn't shoot when he had a chance and he seldom impressed when he started a match - I think he was better as a substitute. Taking his words entirely at face value isn't, I don't believe, entirely fair on Rafa.

That said, for me - again - this piece isn't really about Rafa: he's not here anymore. It's about the unfolding of recent events and supporting the decisions and processes that have led to them.

The day us mere mortals who wanted him sacked can't voice our displeasure at 19 defeats a season and lower league cup losses and that is the tip of the iceberg then what is the point? Do we toe your party line and agree everything is rosy? I will be fucked if I am letting someone who lurked on here for God knows how long tell me what I can and can't post.

I wanted the manager out and I want the owners out. As I said earlier on, no law in wanting both.

Benitez's worse season is still miles ahead of Hodgson best.

Before you rip Benitez's last season,a word of warning,don't look up Hodgson stats at Fulham.

I as much as anyone want Hodgson to be a success at Liverpool,before you reply with one of your customary snide remarks.