You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest simon

Guest PurpleNose

This bit really pissed me off go fuck ya self because you clearly never played pro football and understand the pressures you face and if some manager is making you look like a muppet to your fans it really hurts it really really hurts and for him to sit on that to not upset the fans when he was there must have been hell.

Who do/did you play for?

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When?

Well I started at plymouth when Shilton was there at 15 played there till 16 and went to charlton played in under 18 for 1 year and things was going great went to visit my nan in hospital at 17 because she has bone cancer and one way home crossed road got hit and had my leg leg broken in 8 pieces and knee has heavy lig damage.

I never ever got to play agian and can hardly run nowa days due to the pain I get in my knee.

I also had 2 cuz that played for spurs I am from a footballing family my uncle was a scout for spurs in the 70s

Guest PurpleNose
Well I started at plymouth when Shilton was there at 15 played there till 16 and went to charlton played in under 18 for 1 year and things was going great went to visit my nan in hospital at 17 because she has bone cancer and one way home crossed road got hit and had my leg leg broken in 8 pieces and knee has heavy lig damage.

I never ever got to play agian and can hardly run nowa days due to the pain I get in my knee.

I also had 2 cuz that played for spurs I am from a footballing family my uncle was a scout for spurs in the 70s

You coach at all now?

So when did you play Pro?

You coach at all now?

No I am always told I should get into it but I have now along term illness to fight not had much luck in life since that day.

Well I say that I have a great mrs and just had my first child so I am happy enough.

If I can get over this illness I think I will go do those badges but its a big if.I miss playing tho feck all that pro stuff I wish I could just have a hour up the park with some mates every now and agian.

Surreal.

Is that Kevin Lisbie posting...

Rafa- good the first few years, not good the last years. Full Stop.

When you hand the keys over to a mechanic for your Ferrari and get it back with a smaller, sputtering engine (ie-Alonso model to Lucas Model) and then order a replacement that is always in the shop, you get some shiny expensive front end parts for 20m and then ship them off to London for 10m and it eventually ends up in a Scottish car park in Glasgow people are going to ask questions and form opinions.

And yes, of course, the fact that two idiots from the land that Columbus thought was India were allowed to purchase factors in.

So when did you play Pro?

Youth is pro just youth pro.Plus I Spoken to pro about pressures and demands on them as you do as an young player and its hard even at smaller clubs.

You not just playing for ya self well some players do I guess thats there way of dealing or lessening the pressure on them selfs.Thing is you need your manager to back you because if you are doubting ya self and you see the manager doubting you its a double negitive and that is never good idea in life.So I just ask you all to think about being in a pro footballers shoes Putting money aside they have alot to deal with.

It was at plymouth 92-93 ish

Sorry Graham, you didn't answer my point earlier on, maybe you genuinely missed it.

Why did SOS hail Chris's story as a significant dent in the American propaganda machine, but refuse to acknowledge Chris's involvement in it?

To me writing what he did, on the back page of a newspaper that is read by more than any other, shows he clearly isn't pandering to senior management. He resigned because of what Chris wrote, and the sterling work by StevieH.

I don't think we hailed any one person's story as significant other than Steve who was the subject of it, spoke to Bascombe I understand and then told us.

We backed up what Steve was doing by pushing it out to the media contacts we had but as Steve gave it to Bascombe first presumably he broke it first.

Paul Gardner will comment better than me as although I spent the weekend with a few others pushing out Steve's story as far and wide as we could I think it was Paul who had the major contact close to the story.

We didn't actually see any one journalist "push" this story much more than any other as although Bascombe may have got it first from Steve the deadlines were such that they all had it by the Sunday/Monday I think.

As no one person got ahead of this more than anyone else we didn't do a special round of applause for anyone - although Steve was the one who deserved it but understandably said pretty quickly he wasn't too keen on the spotlight to his credit.

Those stating that Bascombe did nothing wrong and even showed journalistic integrity in promoting Yossi's rant don't seem to understand journalism.

Its not to give uncritical publicity to anyone with a rant. A journalist is supposed to ask the ranter probing questions - and as this thread makes clear - there were many obvious question he could have asked in this case.

If he asked them he did report them. In fact, we don't even know if Yossi's rant was one long splurge or if it was a serious of replies in response to Bascombe leading questions and suggestions. After all we do know Bascombe has an anti-Rafa agenda.

Journalists are also supposed to check the ranter's facts and to check with the target of his rant. Bascombe never told us if he tried to get a comment from Rafa.

If Bascombe's defence is he just switched on the tape recorder and then transcribed what was said - why does he call himself a journalist?

However tacky this latest example of his journalism, the "quotes" from Yossi were an improvement over Bascombe's usual style of citing anonymous "senior sources" or "people close to the club" without any quotes.

I cannot see how most of his reports are more journalistic than fatty Oldham's.

I guess you won't have to do it when your spokesmen stop equating an anti-Benitez stance with a pro-management stance.

That's never been said - the journalistic criticisms have always been based upon the journalists peddling the senior management and owner side of things, nothing about Benitez.

As will be proved now we have a new manager and we see what new dynamics emerge.

I don't think we hailed any one person's story as significant other than Steve who was the subject of it, spoke to Bascombe I understand and then told us.

We backed up what Steve was doing by pushing it out to the media contacts we had but as Steve gave it to Bascombe first presumably he broke it first.

Paul Gardner will comment better than me as although I spent the weekend with a few others pushing out Steve's story as far and wide as we could I think it was Paul who had the major contact close to the story.

We didn't actually see any one journalist "push" this story much more than any other as although Bascombe may have got it first from Steve the deadlines were such that they all had it by the Sunday/Monday I think.

As no one person got ahead of this more than anyone else we didn't do a special round of applause for anyone - although Steve was the one who deserved it but understandably said pretty quickly he wasn't too keen on the spotlight to his credit.

Thanks for your reply Graham. My point really was not about individual journalists getting credit, it was more because you suggest Chris is too close to the Club and pandering to senior management, I say that couldn't be further from the truth, as the incident with Hick Jnr proved beyond doubt.

That's never been said - the journalistic criticisms have always been based upon the journalists peddling the senior management and owner side of things, nothing about Benitez.

As will be proved now we have a new manager and we see what new dynamics emerge.

Now he's gone, we can only hope Bascombe leaves Benitez alone now and concentrates on the owners. It's yet to happen.

Bascombe's staunch anti-Rafa agenda has annoyed the fuck out of me because as a journalist for Merseyside and England's best selling Sunday (shit rag that it is) paper, he's got a great back-page platform to mobilise the masses. Instead he let's his petty personal grievance cloud his supposed support of LFC and cloud any journalistic integrity he may have had.

Yet still people defend him.

Thanks for your reply Graham. My point really was not about individual journalists getting credit, it was more because you suggest Chris is too close to the Club and pandering to senior management, I say that couldn't be further from the truth, as the incident with Hick Jnr proved beyond doubt.

Would have been pretty tricky to dodge the approach from Steve and what was clearly a big story. Having said that I appreciate that from a critical view of journalists he can't win over the issue.

If he'd ignored it people would have been all over him, he didn't but some people still complain - he can't win from that perspective.

At the end of the day it wasn't just about one story, or one article or even being pro or anti Benitez, but a view taken over a period of time.

For instance I was told by someone close to Moores that Moores was due to come out much sooner than he did but the leaking of what he was going to do to Bascombe and Bascombe contacting Moores put him off.

I'm only passing on what I was told and this was also a view Tony Evans had as well.

Again you'll make your own judgement whether allowing the Times the story would have been better for the oppostion to the owners or whether all's fair in love and war between different correspondents.

For instance I was told by someone close to Moores that Moores was due to come out much sooner than he did but the leaking of what he was going to do to Bascombe and Bascombe contacting Moores put him off.

I know nothing about that one, so it wouldn't be right to get involved. However as The Times and the News of the World are owned by the same person, it wouldn't really matter who had the story. Although one is read by 12 million people, dunno about the other one.

If it is right about Moores, it's a shame he wasn't listening to Bascombe's warnings about the American back in his Echo days. Can't remember the piece exactly but I'm sure there was something in the Pink questioning Moores decision.

Until they are fringe players on £20-30,000 a week more.

Rafa has many, mant faults.

I am far too happy to point then out.

Lets not make extras up.

So you are saying that man-management of squad players wasn't a fault with Rafa? All I can say is that I disagree, and I use Benayoun's comments as a case in point.

So you are saying that man-management of squad players wasn't a fault with Rafa? All I can say is that I disagree, and I use Benayoun's comments as a case in point.

I think he managed Yossi very well. He brought him to the club and treated him very well - Yossi said "Benitez loves me". He then played him a lot in the highest point-scoring season, 2008-2009, and coaxed several good performances from him by playing him in positions nobody expected. He tried to reassure him last season by telling him he needed him as part of the squad and by extending his contract to 2013 and paying him more wages. When Yossi started to talk to other clubs and the media he told him "thanks for your three years service""and said he could go if he wanted.

What's wrong with that?