You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We're all in this together

Antynwa

Guest Numero Veinticinco

''Everybody is going to have to contribute''. Yeah, the poor are going to get arse fucked, whilst the rich are going to only be able to afford six ponies. What the fuck are they going to do on a Sunday? They're going to have to ride on of the horses twice in one week.

Ed Byrne talked abit of sense!

A few times he brought things up that had them pulling on the collar.

I thought this was going to be a thread about High School Musical.

Ngog We Trust struggled to hide his disappointment....

I'm tempted to neg you for HSM knowledge there.

How is s/he going to end up on the street? Housing benefit isn't being abolished, jobseekers' allowance isn't being abolished... the unfortunate and the feckless will still have a roof over their heads and food on the table. Genuinely confused.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
How is s/he going to end up on the street? Housing benefit isn't being abolished, jobseekers' allowance isn't being abolished... the unfortunate and the feckless will still have a roof over their heads and food on the table. Genuinely confused.

I think she's saying with the reduction in her benefits that she won't be able to continue paying through the nose for her rat-infested tarts boudoir.

Housing benefit doesn't always pay the levels of housing benefit you like to quote about. They have a maximum benefit cap for the type property a person is in. If they cut the maximum by 15% which was mentioned last night and the property a person is in is on that limit then it's going to mean she can't afford it.

What i mean is if the rent is £100pw and housing benefit value the property as only being worth £90 then the person living in there makes up the difference. If they reduce it by 15% then its going to mean the person is now forking out not only the £10 but another £13 odd. So £23 out of £45 a week will mean a person either starves or gets evicted.

edit, i heard 15% last night, apologies.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The 10% cut in housing benefit for long-term JSA claimants, if it's ever brought in (and I have my doubts), isn't coming in until Spring 2013.

That toothy, overreacting, teenage-boy looking bitch.

• 2 years later...

UK GDP: Economy shrank at end of 2012

The UK economy shrank by 0.3% in the last three months of 2012, further fuelling fears that the economy could re-enter recession.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the fall in output was largely due to a drop in mining and quarrying, after maintenance delays at the UK's largest North Sea oil field.

The economy had grown by 0.9% in the previous quarter, boosted by the London 2012 Olympic Games.

For the whole year, growth was flat.

The ONS said that the "bumpy economy" was on a "sluggish trend".

Manufacturing fell by 1.5% in the fourth quarter, the services sector was flat, but construction output rose by 0.3%.

Within the manufacturing sector, mining and quarrying output fell by 10.2%, the biggest decline since records began in 1997, driven by disruption to North Sea oil and gas fields.

The Buzzard oil field, about 100 kilometres north east of Aberdeen, was shut in early September for maintenance work that was expected to take about 28 days, according to reports.

But Buzzard resumed production in early November, and it was not until the end of that month that full capacity was reached.

Buzzard, run by Nexen and with BG Group a 21.7% shareholder, is one of the biggest North Sea fields to be developed in 10 years.

The field holds enough crude potentially to deliver about 10% of the UK's annual forecast oil demand.

Nexen declined to comment on the maintenance work's impact on the GDP figures, but added: "The shutdowns occur every five years, are planned, and are required in order to comply with regulatory requirements. The shutdowns enable us to repair and upgrade equipment that cannot be accessed when the facilities are operating."

If oil and gas extraction were excluded from the overall gross domestic product (GDP) calculations, then the data would have shown that the economy shrank by only 0.1% in the fourth quarter, the ONS said.

GDP is the sum of all goods and services made in the economy.

This is the first estimate of how the economy performed in the fourth quarter, and is subject to at least two further revisions as more data is collected.

Chancellor George Osborne said the figures were a reminder that the UK faces "a very difficult economic situation".

He described them as "a reminder that last year was particularly difficult, that we face problems at home with the debts built up over many years, and problems abroad with the eurozone, where we export many of our products, deep in recession".

"Now we can either run away from those problems or we can confront them. And I'm determined to confront them so we can go on creating jobs for the people of this country," Mr Osborne said.

But Labour's shadow chancellor Ed Balls said: "Today's news confirms what business leaders, retailers and families have known for many months - that depressed confidence and a chronic shortage of demand mean our economy continues to flat line.

"This government's failing plan has now seen our economy stagnate for over two years and borrowing is now rising as a result."

Frances O'Grady, general secretary of the TUC, said: "We are now mid-way through the coalition's term of office and its economic strategy has been a complete disaster.

"The economy has grown by just 1%, real wages have fallen, and the manufacturing and construction sectors have shrunk. We remain as dependent on the City as we did before the financial crash."

If the economy were to also shrink in the first three months of 2013, then the UK would re-enter recession, defined as two consecutive quarters of contraction.

The CBI business group said it expected growth "to continue to be fairly flat through the winter but momentum will gradually build later in the year, as the global economy picks up a little and confidence lifts".

Capital Economics believes another contraction in the first quarter is "quite possible... especially given the snow disruption".

However, the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) said that while the economy was struggling to maintain momentum, its research showed that small firms were slightly more confident going into 2013 than they were going into 2012.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), the government's independent financial watchdog, has forecast growth of 1.2% this year, slightly above most other independent forecasts.

Earlier this week the International Monetary Fund (IMF) cut its growth forecast for the UK to 1% from 1.1%, but this is a rosier picture compared with its outlook for the eurozone, which it expects to shrink by 0.1% this year.

The ONS data for the fourth quarter showed the drop-off in activity in the services sector following the end of the Olympics and Paralympics.

Services make up about three-quarters of the UK's economic activity. In the third quarter of the year - when the Olympics and Paralympics took place - the sector grew by 1.2%.

The ONS said there was some evidence of "fallback" in the fourth quarter, seen in the hotel and restaurant industries and in land transport.

The biggest impact, though, was in sports activities, amusement and recreation, which dropped 22.5%. This was mainly due to increased ticket sales for the Games in the third quarter, and contributed 0.2 percentage points to the fall in overall GDP in the fourth quarter.

Across the year as a whole, services grew by 1.2% , while total industrial production fell by 2.5% and construction dropped by 9.3%.

Lee Hopley, chief economist at EEF, the manufacturers' organisation, said there were "no positive takeaways" from the figures.

"Even assuming some unwinding of activity from the Olympics boost in the previous quarter, this still leaves no real signs of underlying growth in the economy.

"The news from industry was particularly weak, with November's sharp drop on output contributing to a rather grim fourth quarter and leaving the overall picture for manufacturing in 2012 the weakest since 2009."

Economists at IHS Global Insight noted that GDP in the fourth quarter of 2012 was 3.3% below the peak level seen in the first quarter of 2008. They estimate that it will not return to that level until the first half of 2015 - a gap of seven years.

The government's economic policies came under focus on Thursday when the chief economist at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) said that the chancellor should consider slowing down austerity measures in his March budget, because of their effect on growth.

"We think this would be a good time to take stock," Olivier Blanchard told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

But Mr Osborne later rebuffed Mr Blanchard's advice. Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, he said that spending cuts must continue if the government is to retain its credibility.

"We have a credible and flexible debt reduction plan. That credibility is very hard won and easily lost," he said.

However, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has said that the coalition made a mistake in cutting back capital spending when it came to office.

He told The House magazine that ministers had reassured themselves at the time that the reduction was in line with plans drawn up by Labour.

But they now realised investment in infrastructure was crucial for economic recovery, he added.

When asked about Mr Clegg's views, Mr Osborne responded: "What Nick Clegg has said is that capital investment is important and I agree with that, which is why we have added £20bn of capital investment to our plans over the last couple of years.

"But you can only do that if you have convinced the world that you can pay your way - that investors have confidence in the UK. We've got that confidence."

BBC News - UK GDP: Economy shrank at end of 2012

It's just more bleeding-heart lefty bullshit, from Commy propagandists like those in the DCLG and the Telegraph.

Welfare cuts 'could leave 40,000 families homeless', Eric Pickles' office warns - Telegraph

In the real world even people on benefits have to pay for gas,leccy and water for example and 70 quid a week simply doesnt cover them. Getting the money to pay for their own rent,previously it mainly went to their landlords,means they will be tempted or forced to divert that money to cover other debts. Thats even before they buy their ciggies,booze and smack!

The biggest knock on effect is that housing stock will lose money for maintainance and houses will fall into disrepair and more slums will ensue.

Councils or Housing Associations will try to stop this by asking for more money to try to stop this and if it is given out in some cases then the government needs to divert or lend more money as taxes wont be raised to help pay for it except in the case of the people who most need every penny the get.

And the wheel keeps turning.

I think that more and more people should be redirected towards debt management groups like Step Change. You have a right to a decent standard of living and these companies WILL bend and work with you as long as you aren't fucking them around.

I owed tons in credit cards and overdrafts and I eventually signed up and started the ball rolling. Wish I'd done it a couple of years ago now.

You have to work to a budget like, but I'm no longer throwing money up the wall in interest payments and late charges.

The first thing people need to grasp is the reality that we can't afford everything we want. Be that luxury food items or electrical goods, or going the footy every week. There are also charities helping with winter warmth bills and such like, people just need to swallow their pride and grasp the seriousness of their situation and do something to help themselves. We're on the edge of a triple-dip recession, reality-check time, this isn't a time to ignore your finances or presume you'll get credit.

With the internet cutting out the middle man in just about every line of work, it's not a problem that looks to be going away anytime soon.

It's just more bleeding-heart lefty bullshit, from Commy propagandists like those in the DCLG and the Telegraph.

Welfare cuts 'could leave 40,000 families homeless', Eric Pickles' office warns - Telegraph

Homeless =/= on the street

Oh, and good to see I was right again, this time about the 10% housing benefit cut for long term jobseekers not coming in. I heard it was stopped by the Lib Dems, but that can't be true as I have it on good authority that the Lib Dems aren't doing anything in government.

Homeless =/= on the street

Oh, and good to see I was right again, this time about the 10% housing benefit cut for long term jobseekers not coming in. I heard it was stopped by the Lib Dems, but that can't be true as I have it on good authority that the Lib Dems aren't doing anything in government.

'Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted' is the expression that springs to mind.

Homeless = Not having somewhere to live. Hostels, sofas, floors, etc. do not count as a home, you Tory twat.

I never said they "counted as a home", did I, you pitiful piece of shithouse vermin? I just said it's not the same as being on the street.

How fucking dare you call me a "Tory twat" for pointing out this simple FACT to you.

You're just a wannabe fascist, really.

I never said they "counted as a home", did I, you pitiful piece of shithouse vermin? I just said it's not the same as being on the street.

How fucking dare you call me a "Tory twat" for pointing out this simple FACT to you.

You're just a wannabe fascist, really.

"Homeless =/= on the street"

What the Hell is that supposed to mean then?

As for the rest of your nonsense - you're not worth negging.