You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Priority Position......

WhiskeyJar

Which position should Roy look at first to sign players for??  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which position should Roy look at first to sign players for??

• Left Back
    • Center Back
    • Attacking Midfielder (Center or Wing)
    • Defensive Midfielder
    • Foward (Stiker or in the hole)
    • Other, Please specify.....

Which position do you think Roy should give more emphasis to sign players from the off???

I think he should be lookign first for a Left Back first and then a striker.

Also pending on The Chief leaving, a defensive midfielder third although I do actually think Lucas can fill that position.

A quick centre back, who's class in the air.

A quick, skilful left winger who isn't thick.

A left back.

In that order.

Dont we have Agger, Skrtel, Carragher and Kyrgiakos in first team alone to make up the numbers?? Surely thats overkill....

(Not counting any of the reserve players that are playing in that position too)

The rest I agree with although now with Aurellio gone and Dossena.....I hate to think Insua will be our starting Left Back next season.

Thats why its number one for me.

Dont we have Agger, Skrtel, Carragher and Kyrgiakos in first team alone to make up the numbers?? Surely thats overkill....(Not counting any of the reserve players that are playing in that position too)

The rest I agree with although now with Aurellio gone and Dossena.....I hate to think Insua will be our starting Left Back next season.

Thats why its number one for me.

None of them are quick and only one is very good in the air.

We need pace and someone aeriallt dominant at the back imo.

None of them are quick and only one is very good in the air.

We need pace and someone aeriallt dominant at the back imo.

I can just say that I do not think we need a Center Back that has pace. Not saying that you are wrong mind you just that some of the passes that Pigue pulled off against Germany set the tone for the rest of the game.

A solid Center Back with the vision to pull off long range passes will suit me just fine.

I though Agger was very average at left back last season, he's not a long term answer there.

The only thing that he is lacking to be a complete LB is pace. He has nearly everything to be in that position par that.

Ah but also I have never seen him cross the ball.........

The only thing that he is lacking to be a complete LB is pace. He has nearly everything to be in that position par that.

Its not right like but he looked like he didn't wanna play there too so that possibly made him worse.

Left back - can't have Insua as first choice next season.

Back up striker - can't have Ngog as back up to Torres next season.

Then he should look to upgrade left wing - as Babel and Riera haven't cut the mustard.

If he needs to replace Mascherano, then that will also have to be sorted.

figueroa for left back

Jovanovic and arda turan or mcgeady for the flanks

van der vaart or cole for the hole

really struggling to think of a decent forward. The one who has impressed me most from the world cup is forlan. suarez reminds me of baros. luis fabiano might struggle in england, higuain too expensive for all he does.

Also lacking any positional sense whatsoever. I honestly think Insua was better there. Danny was lucky not to be found out as often for me.

I've gone for left back because we have Kuyt, Babel, Jovanovic and Ngog who must surely be able to find some kind of partnership between them if Torres is out again, whereas we have literally no senior cover at left back, and that's also the biggest source of us leaking goals last season. After that I would go for a striker who can play target man.

If we were not strapped for cash, I would also want a pacy centre-back who is decent in the air, and a midfielder who can both tackle and pass. If we were rich, add two pacy wingers who can cross the ball.

I'd fuck Babel right off, Zig. And Ngog. I'd only keep Kuyt if he was going to play as a striker who stays in the 18 yard box.

I would too Ted if we were guaranteed to be able to spend the money. If not then I would give them a chance under Roy as fringe players. I agree about Kuyt, but I'd use him as backup on either flank at a push.

I don't want him anywhere near the flanks. I don't care how hard he works or whatever, he's a better player when he's pushed into being an out and out finisher.

He's obviously no Robbie Fowler, but he's excellent at putting the ball in the net when he's within 10 yards of it.

I don't want him slowing us down or losing possesion eight times out of ten with a bad touch and putting us in danger of counter attacks. In Laymans: The further he is form our own penalty area, the better.

Actually, that's all assuming we even sign someone for the right. Sanchez, hopefully.

There's the problem mate, it's impossible to assume what we can do because we're borassic. Hence I suppose the idea of a priority thread. It's all very well people saying they would sell half the squad, and I would too if I thought we could replace them, but it's more probable we will have to work with what we have to a great extent.

That's a given mate, let's hope it doesn't come with any reduction in depth or quality though. Must admit I'm slightly worried about the "Kevin Davies" factor with Roy. Having said that it would be hard to find worse players than a fair few of ours.