You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dirk Wants to Stay

Guest Kenny
Makes you wonder why Gerrard/Torres can't come out and say something similar.

Sneijder (sp?) came out yesterday saying he doesn't want to leave Inter. Why can't our "big boys" do the same?

Its not rocket science is it, they probably dont even know themselves yet. Why would they say "im staying" then see no players arrive in of any quality. They want assurances. They are both pissed off with the club for all the bolloxs this last 24 months.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will take you up on the bet that Kuyt does not score 20+ goals from at least 20 games up front.

I do however love Kuyt: superb player in the right side. So long as it's Snejder, Van Persie and Robben, or Gerrard, Torres and Maxi, buzzing around him rather than Eccleston, Dossena, Voronin, Riera etc. When he does leave the club, it will be having given as many great moments as almost any other player of the past two decades.

Have you seen the ball bobble off his foot as he tries to control it? Or the way every counter attack is forced to slow down and come back inside or backwards.

Like I said, can't fault his effort, but do not embellish reality to emphasise your point.

Can you provide some examples of all these great Dirk moments? I think I've missed them.

What you're really saying is, play Dirk with world superstars and he's good. Well, play me with the same world superstars and I'd look better, too. The really good players make others look better, not the other way around.

No he isn't.

Football's all about opinions and we differ on this issue. I think agree to disagree is the best course of action, as nothing you say could ever convince me that he has a first touch or attributes that aren't related to work, and I dare say that I would be unequally able to convince you of his faults.

Have you seen the ball bobble off his foot as he tries to control it? Or the way every counter attack is forced to slow down and come back inside or backwards.

Like I said, can't fault his effort, but do not embellish reality to emphasise your point.

Can you provide some examples of all these great Dirk moments? I think I've missed them.

What you're really saying is, play Dirk with world superstars and he's good. Well, play me with the same world superstars and I'd look better, too. The really good players make others look better, not the other way around.

[YOUTUBE]gPO48yW4B4w[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, manure has suffered terribly from ferguson's mistake of not selling all his old timers the last few years. Because we all know you can't play football at all once your 30th birthday kicks in ;)

Let's see if he manages to reclaim some of his previous form this season. That goes for Carra as well - if they deliver they can play until their 40 for my part :yes:

We can't afford to pass on large transfer fees for our senior citizens.

Like he did when he first joined and was played up front, you mean?

I admire Dirk's attitude and approach to the game, but he's a poor footballer.

14 goals in 48 appearances (12 in 34 in the league) as a striker in his first season in England wasn't too bad.

If he was played as a striker and was told to concentrate on doing his job in the opponents box rather than outside it, then he'd get 20 goals a season easily.

As an out and out striker he's a far better player than as a right sided forward/defender. Though his goals record in 08-9 was pretty much the same, but his best position is as a striker and that's what he was signed as in the first place.

Guest PurpleNose
Football's all about opinions and we differ on this issue. I think agree to disagree is the best course of action, as nothing you say could ever convince me that he has a first touch or attributes that aren't related to work, and I dare say that I would be unequally able to convince you of his faults.

Correct.

Although I think the fact he's about to play in a world cup final for one of the best International teams in the world suggests I may well be right here.

Correct.

Although I think the fact he's about to play in a world cup final for one of the best International teams in the world suggests I may well be right here.

Djimi Traore has a CL winners medal. Who is he keeping out of the Dutch team?

Its quite clear we are going to lose Torres for me.

Im just hoping he is trying to put pressure on the owners by being so non committal but it dont look good.

I'm not all together happy about this, but you have my word that I wont judge you until I see you play.

Guest PurpleNose
Djimi Traore has a CL winners medal. Who is he keeping out of the Dutch team?

This Dutch side is a million miles better than our side that won the Champions League.

VDV and Elia.

14 goals in 48 appearances (12 in 34 in the league) as a striker in his first season in England wasn't too bad.

If he was played as a striker and was told to concentrate on doing his job in the opponents box rather than outside it, then he'd get 20 goals a season easily.

As an out and out striker he's a far better player than as a right sided forward/defender. Though his goals record in 08-9 was pretty much the same, but his best position is as a striker and that's what he was signed as in the first place.

He's played wide loads in his career.

I don't think 14 in 48 appearances as a main striker is good enough for a team that was then a top 4 club and looking to push on. He cost £10 million, back when £10 million was a shit load of cash for us to be spending (not that it still isn't of course). I'm not slagging the guy off, because I thinks he gives his all every week. I just don't think his best is good enough for a club like ours, that's all.

Guest the boy

Goals in league and Europe against Arsenal & Chelsea. THAT goal against City. 4 against Everton. Goals in Europe against both Milan sides. Vital goals elsewhere in Europe. Superb strike at West Ham. Putting us into the seventh European Cup final in our history.

Have I jogged your memory, or should I go on?

'What I'm really saying is': Kuyt is a superbly battling player who was at the fulcrum of so many of the come-backs and last ditch wins in 08/09. Had we won the title that season, or the European Cup in 2007, he'd have been key to it. Mentally he's infallible, and like a Craig Johnston he will never stop going. The same cannot be said of some, apparently, more gifted players, and that has always been the way in football. His weaknesses are apparent, and made more so amongst the one paced dross he lined up aside much of last season.

He's played wide loads in his career.

And?

I don't think 14 in 48 appearances as a main striker is good enough for a team that was then a top 4 club and looking to push on.

It's not good enough for the main striker, like Torres, but it's not bad for the second man. And it was his first season in England.

Pleased with that. He'll have no shortage of suitors around Europe - including a certain hand-rubbing Spaniard with a big transfer budget - and he's got the match of his life in a few days, so for him to publically commit is a nice gesture.

Like others, I hope he sees more action as a striker next season.

Guest PurpleNose
Diomede is a world cup winner, too.

VDV is a central attacking mid player

Kuyt is a striker.

Both play out wide for Holland. Well Kuyt does usually, because he's better.