You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British players Roy could sign

Cantrell20

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've heard all this before though when we were linked with Milner and others. They weren't good enough for us either according to many of the FM/CM experts on here...

So who do you suggest then? Don't say Milner either please. A small matter of around 25m -30m reasons why that wont happen

So who do you suggest then? Don't say Milner either please. A small matter of around 25m -30m reasons why that wont happen

To be fair I could well have been one of the ones saying Milner wasn't good enough myself. I doubt it like (I would probably have had more of a problem with the fee at the time), but there's been too many occasions in our recent history when people on here have been protesting that a player isn't good enough only for someone other time to buy them and have their value quadruple.

To be fair I could well have been one of the ones saying Milner wasn't good enough myself. I doubt it like (I would probably have had more of a problem with the fee at the time), but there's been too many occasions in our recent history when people on here have been protesting that a player isn't good enough only for someone other time to buy them and have their value quadruple.

Fair point.

Adam Johnson was the last British player I would have wanted, but that's too late now for obvious reasons.

I just don't think at this time there is anyone around good enough.

Fair point.

Adam Johnson was the last British player I would have wanted, but that's too late now for obvious reasons.

I just don't think at this time there is anyone around good enough.

Don't even get me started on Johnson!

I suggested Collison & Knightly on a similar thread last summer, immmediately plunging both players into an injury & personal nightmare, so after much pleading from the PFA I am not allowed to contribute.

My alter-ego however was massively impressed by Connor Wickham in the recent U-17's UEFA tourney( The nearest thing I've seen to Shearer since Alan was a teenager ) & if money was available I would buy him for £6/7m or so & loan him back to Ipswich for a year for further seasoning.

Bellamy? Murphy? Bent to replace Torres? Fuck me, already resigned to life in the mid-table? Remember Bent at Tottenham?

Bent scored 1 goal every second start for Spurs, he has come with a goal guarentee wherever ha has gone, but its difficult to score if you dont get playing time.

Bent scored 1 goal every second start for Spurs, he has come with a goal guarentee wherever ha has gone, but its difficult to score if you dont get playing time.

Did you see some of the chances he spurned!? He wasn't good enough for a struggling Spurs, yeah let's sign him....

I think if we're looking for a striker, Gieuseppe Rossi is a good option. And I think he counts as home grown

Did you see some of the chances he spurned!? He wasn't good enough for a struggling Spurs, yeah let's sign him....

I think if we're looking for a striker, Gieuseppe Rossi is a good option. And I think he counts as home grown

Bent is better than Rossi.

Only ones I'd consider of having the possibility of being good enough for us are Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Jack Rodwell, James McCarthy, James Milner, Graham Dorrans, Adam Johnson & possibly Matt Jarvis (I can't decide whether he's genuinely a good player or we were just that shit against Wolves). There's no chance of us getting Rodwell, Milner or Johnson and while the others would definitely improve our squad, they're, at best, only as good as what we've already got.

My alter-ego however was massively impressed by Connor Wickham in the recent U-17's UEFA tourney( The nearest thing I've seen to Shearer since Alan was a teenager ) & if money was available I would buy him for £6/7m or so & loan him back to Ipswich for a year for further seasoning.

Connor Wickham...

A Liverpool fan whose role model is Fernando Torres, Wickham spent four years on Reading’s books, living in Aldershot, before his father’s job in the Army led them to Colchester and trials with Ipswich. He made sure he studied sufficiently hard to gain eight A-C grade GCSEs before leaving Philip Morant School last summer.

“He’s a very level-headed young man,” Peacock said. “I think he’s at the right club and Roy’s done a really good job with him, steadily developing him. He’s a goalscorer but he’s matured a lot in his build-up play.

“Physically he’s a real specimen of a young man so it’s no surprise he’s dealing with the physical demands of Championship football. He’s had a lot of accolades this year but he’s dealt with it all in a very mature manner. Within this peer group, he’s just one of the 18. That can only be of benefit to the team.”

Well at least he is a Red thats a start.

The signings of Shelvey and Sterling have to be a bonus as they are probally two of the best young English player's around and they are already on board.

I think Tom Cairney (Hull City) and James McCarthy (Wigan) were two of the best young British midfielder's in the EPL last season.And Wilson (Rangers) and Kelly could be our future centre back partnership for years to come.

If we are to sign British player's i would stick to signing player's to form our back-bone and bring in foreigner's for there flair.