You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason you would need a bike like that would be for racing, there is absolutely no other reason why you would buy that bike as it would be a huge case of over kill. It would be like buying a sports car, has very little practical purpose apart from posing.

Not just that but if you do race and you show up on a bike like that you had better be good. I have heard many stories from people who race who say they have shown up to a race to see people on bikes that are worth 7K. These people fly for the very beggining of the race and then get spat out of the back of the group.

As I got told, it is your legs that make the wheels go round, so it is a waste of money spending more than about 2K on a bike unless you are shit hot. A 2K bike will be sufficient for everything from sportives to racing if it takes your fancy.

aye, its a lot cheaper and better for your times to lost half a stone from your gut than it is from the bike. Who really needs a £2000 electonic groupset?

Is the bike still in the shop next to the concept shop in Chester with the Electronic groupset, it cost £10,000. As I said to someone, what the fuck do you do if it breaks, you cant fix it yourself or put it in Quinns to get fixed. Even worse would be if you couldn't get home oin the fucker and you were about 60 miles away from home on it.

RobbieOR - Spot on, its a differnet race since Bertie went on the attack. Voeckler is hanging on to yellow by the skin of his teeth and I think we'll see Evans in yellow by tomorrow night and Contador and Sanchez to close the gap before the Alpe on Friday.

I hope the Schlecks get nothing from this tour, they lack the balls to risk everything and go all out for the win, and Andy is a cryarse "its not steep enough for us", "its too dangerous in the wet". Just do one you psuedo-kraut whinger.

RobbieOR - Spot on, its a differnet race since Bertie went on the attack. Voeckler is hanging on to yellow by the skin of his teeth and I think we'll see Evans in yellow by tomorrow night and Contador and Sanchez to close the gap before the Alpe on Friday.

I hope the Schlecks get nothing from this tour, they lack the balls to risk everything and go all out for the win, and Andy is a cryarse "its not steep enough for us", "its too dangerous in the wet". Just do one you psuedo-kraut whinger.

Yeah, Its amazing how Voeckler is still in mellow johnny. He's done really well so far, but, he's only really in it because Contador didnt have the legs in the Pyranees and becuase the Schlecks lacked the guts.

As Sean Kelly said today, every extra day that he's in Yellow, its a bonus.

looks like i was wrong about Schleck jr. He's putting in a hell of an attack on the Izoard today. Love to see riding like this instead of wheelsucking. every credit to the whinger
If it makes you feel better, it looks like I was wrong too. It's a great attack.

The question is, will he still have the legs for the Galibier?

a brilliant ride by Andy Schleck. Chapeau!

I'm not a big fan of his approach, but you have to admire that performance.

And massive credit to Cadel Evans and Tommy Voeckler as well for closing the gap by 2 minutes in those last 10km. 3000km of cycling and still only 72 seconds between the top 4 riders.

I'm don't think Frank can win it as his time trial is very weak, but any one of the other three could do it, and the way the time gaps are its almost impossible to call between the three of them. Cadel is the strongest on the ITT but he has the biggest gap to make up, Andy is the strongest climber but can he put some more time into them on the Alpe to make sure they cant get back at him? and Tommy Voeckler has been inspired by the yellow jersey. This tour has exploded into life this week.

A fantastic days cycling, Chapeau to Andy - to go that far out does take some guts - and Maxime Montfort got him down the descent of the Izoard, and pulled even more time out.

Big effort from Cadel to close the gap from 4 to 2 mins - and was expecting the other top contenders to jump him in the final kms. Seeing Bertie 'pop' was a bit unexpected - but hasn't really been himself this Tour.

He's halfway there. He'll still need to gain at least half a minute on Evans up Alpe d'Huez, but surely that is one of the greatest comebacks I've seen in a long time. Although Evans did a brilliant job trying to make it up again. Much stronger than I thought he'd be. Will be interesting to see whom of the three has the best legs on the next stage. I think Fränk got a nice ride so he'll be attacking. Although, the brothers will have to figure out this between themselves as well. Would be awesome if they both went at it together, though. They are the only two who's got a team mate that are about just as strong as the other so it might actually work.

its going to be a very interesting day.

Will Cadel attack on the descent from the Galibier like Pantani in 98? unlikely but I'd love to see it.

Will Frank take off at the bottom of the Alpe and force Cadel to work and tow Andy all the way to the top. Not sure of thats a wise move, I don't think Andy Schleck can leave it until the last couple of kms today to try and gap Evans. Its only about 3-4% at the very top of the Alpe when the road is meandering through the village but it hits 14% in places in the first long ramp from Bourg up to bend 21 and the first 4 bends from 21 to 17 average over 10%.

If Andy has recovered then for me he should attack at the foot of the alpe.

Such a dramatic final week to this tour, its been great viewing after a rather mediocre first 10 days when it was only really the green jersey and phillipe gilbert that was interesting.

i really hope so , but thinking about it more my guess would be we'll see frank attack at the foot of the Alpe and force Cadel to work at the front then andy to attack again with 3-4km to go. The huge descent works against the Schlecks attacking early as Cadel is a much better bike handler then both of them.

i really hope so , but thinking about it more my guess would be we'll see frank attack at the foot of the Alpe and force Cadel to work at the front then andy to attack again with 3-4km to go. The huge descent works against the Schlecks attacking early as Cadel is a much better bike handler then both of them.
Those are sound tactics. Evans can match any other rider one on one but a combined attack may be more than he can handle.

Watching now...Contador has attacked and Evans is staying with him.