You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southland

Paisley Red

Just watched the first episode of this on More4. Quite enjoyed it, well produced and there are some potentially good characters in it ...but on the other hand it just reminded me how much I miss 'The Wire' (which it's obviously influenced by but not in the same class). Anyone else watch it?

Yep, stick with it, it's excellent. The intro is crap and the way the network bleep out the swearing is really annoying too. But once you get past that it's really good stuff; more comparable to the shield than the wire though.

Season 2 has already aired in the US and that was really good as well.

//edit, just found the thread I started about it HERE

• 11 months later...
Watched both series a while ago through a torrent download.

Series 1 is very good but the budget got cut for series 2 and it wasnt as good,still ok though.

There are no plans for a 3rd season I think.

Season 3 has already aired in the states mate, 10 episode season. They've commissioned a 10 episode fourth season as well.

Season 3 has already aired in the states mate, 10 episode season. They've commissioned a 10 episode fourth season as well.

It was bought by another network wasn't it?

I thought it was really good. I especially liked the way they revealed that the cop with the fucked back is gay, bit by bit, without any fanfare or fuss. It's like it's completely irrelevant to the plot (which is the way it should be).

Watched the first two-three episodes of this but just couldn't get into it for some reason. It's really good, well made, well filmed and stuff but it's almost too intense. The stuff The Shield does for short bursts towards the end of each episide, Southland tries to do for the whole show. It baffled me a bit to be honest.

It was bought by another network wasn't it?

I thought it was really good. I especially liked the way they revealed that the cop with the fucked back is gay, bit by bit, without any fanfare or fuss. It's like it's completely irrelevant to the plot (which is the way it should be).

Rawls.jpg

Nbc originally made the programme, but cancelled it after series 2 when TNT picked it up. From Wiki :

On November 2, 2009, TNT announced it has purchased the rights to Southland's original seven episodes, as well as six completed episodes from its second season. Southland began airing on TNT on January 12, 2010.[5][6] On April 26, 2010, TNT announced it had picked up Southland for a ten-episode third season to begin airing on January 4, 2011.[7] TNT's renewal of the show included a substantial budget cut and corresponding cast reduction.[8] Southland has been renewed for another ten-episode fourth season.[9]

I think it's ace, it's a bit lighter than the Shield. Like this scene from season 1.

Note : Bleeping is only on the Youtube clip; not the actual programme.

BX8ukHpNSu8

Fuckin' nice one mate,I didnt know that.

Last I read was an article saying the networks pulled it because of budget cuts and low ratings,guess not then!

• 1 year later...

Did anyone catch the first episode of Season 4 this week? It was fucking boss. Brian back in uniform is ace and there were some fantastic moments of tension: Brian in his car with the baby was mad but that was topped by what happened at the station. Lucy Liu and Lou Diamond Philips were also both ace. That scene John watches on the video was fucking mad.

Southland is ace. Get on it, telly heads.

Did anyone catch the first episode of Season 4 this week? It was fucking boss. Brian back in uniform is ace and there were some fantastic moments of tension: Brian in his car with the baby was mad but that was topped by what happened at the station. Lucy Liu and Lou Diamond Philips were also both ace. That scene John watches on the video was fucking mad.

Southland is ace. Get on it' date=' telly heads.[/quote']

I still haven't watched season 3 yet, what's it like with the budget and staff cuts? I'll have to catch up once I get a chance.

Southland is ace. Get on it, telly heads.

Just by chance noticed season 4 was back on when i was flicking through the freeview channels,

Ace show ,vitually all my mates in work who i have asked have never seen it so i have told them to get into it, a bit like third watch ,another ace series that not many people seem to have heard of !

This is a brilliant show - watched the first episode of the new series last night, for me it is better than the Shield, although I have only watched the first season of the Shield. This just seems a more rounded show. You get more on the Latino/Black American feud as well.

Lucy Liu is just so beautiful!

This is a brilliant show - watched the first episode of the new series last night' date=' for me it is better than the Shield, although I have only watched the first season of the Shield. This just seems a more rounded show. You get more on the Latino/Black American feud as well.

Lucy Liu is just so beautiful![/quote']

Deffo not better than The Shield, but it is ace.

Deffo not better than The Shield, but it is ace.

Impossible to beleive it could be. From what little I saw of Southland it was well made but unrelentingly grim and the characters were unmemorable, especially the detectives, I couldn't even tell you their names. The Shield was different class.

Well it's all subjective, but I will say this - I can believe that Southland is a decent representation of what it is like in LA, but I can't for one moment believe that the 'Strike Team' would exist anywhere.

I'll watch a few more series of the Sheild before making my mind up, as I believe it does get better, but at the moment I prefer Southland.

Well it's all subjective, but I will say this - I can believe that Southland is a decent representation of what it is like in LA, but I can't for one moment believe that the 'Strike Team' would exist anywhere.

I'll watch a few more series of the Sheild before making my mind up, as I believe it does get better, but at the moment I prefer Southland.

The Shield is based on the Rampart scandal, the Strike team itself on the CRASH team. Among its numerous crimes were robbing a bank, shooting and crippling an innocent man by mistake but then planting drugs on him to justify the shoot. The Strike team are actually relatievly reserved. I love anything to do with the LAPD, what an absolute shit hole.

Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 10 years later...