You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Harry Potter Phenomenon.....

RedBrian84

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
11 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

If any of your kids are into HP you can convince them of your wizardimg skills by turning the torch on your iPhone by holding down the Siri button and saying ‘lumos’ saying ‘nox’ turns it off again. 

Yeah. Any of your kids.

22 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

If any of your kids are into HP you can convince them of your wizardimg skills by turning the torch on your iPhone by holding down the Siri button and saying ‘lumos’ saying ‘nox’ turns it off again. 

Not gonna work for me mate, I can’t fucking find the Siri button. Now I’m just look like a cunt as always.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Rowling getting grief for anti semitism now because of goblins with big noses or some shit. 

Bollocks innit. Jon Stewart looking for the arl anti-Semitism wherever he can for clicks. Emma Watson got labelled with it for a pro-Palestinian post the other day.

Never once have I watched those movies and thought "Jews are goblins" and even if the design does, by some mad reason, come from anti-Jewish tropes, it's not her who was the designer on the movies.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Jon Stewart looking for the arl anti-Semitism wherever he can for clicks.

I think it's the people who have misrepresented his comments who were looking for clicks.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/jon-stewart-clarifies-jk-rowling-antisemitism-1235147292/

“I do not think J.K. Rowling is antisemitic. I did not accuse her of being antisemitic,” Stewart said. “I do not think the ‘Harry Potter’ movies are antisemitic. I really love the ‘Harry Potter’ movies, probably too much for a gentleman of my considerable age.”

“I cannot stress this enough. I am not accusing J.K. Rowling of being antisemitic,” Stewart added. “She need not answer to any of it. I don’t want the ‘Harry Potter’ movies censored in any way. It was a lighthearted conversation. Get a fucking grip.”

Stewart clarified that his original discussion about the “Harry Potter” goblins was “a lighthearted conversation amongst colleagues and chums” about what it was like first watching the “Harry Potter” movies as a Jewish man. Stewart brought up the look of the goblins to talk about “how some tropes are so embedded in society that they’re basically invisible, even in a considered process like moviemaking.”

I have to admit when I first saw the hook-nosed bankers in, I think, the first Harry Potter film, I bristled a bit. At the same time, it didn't seem like a conscious thing, and of course they did cast a Jewish kid in the title role.

Edit: they also had a "banking clan" in the Star Wars prequels that seemed a bit that way too. These tropes are easy to miss if you're not attuned to them.