You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard for Ozil?

Gerrard or Ozil?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrard or Ozil?

• Ozil
    • Gerrard

We don't need him that badly at all, anyone remember

Alberto-Aquilani-Liverpool.jpg

We have positions with much higher priority than behind the hole. Also, he's 21, two years older than Pacheco, why go spend £20 million on Ozil when we Pacheco in the ranks developing. Would rather see Pacheco given the chance to develop and be our number 10, then go spunk a load of cash on Ozil that we DON'T have.

Guest Pistonbroke
Ozil has been impressing in Germany all season. I would love to have him here. At 21 it would be a good long term solution to the inevitable loss of Gerrard through transfer request or retirement.

I think if it was really on the cards, I would take the swap.

He had a great season at Bremen but they played attacking football which suited his game. Hid weakness is that he misses loads of chances but he does at least create loads for the players around him.

Never sign a player on the back of a good tournament. Arshavin the exception to that rule.
This is his second good tournament, was one of/if not the player of the Tournament in U21 World Cup, and he's been superb all season in Germany, the guy is a class act, not a hope in the world of us even comtemplating getting him...sigh

Would he be better than Gerrard?

No way !

Would I swap him?

Only on an age related thing yes.

Flavour of the month?

Diao Babel and Diouf anyone?

So just because you had not heard of him before the World Cup that makes him flavour of the month? :whatever:

Never sign a player on the back of a good tournament. Arshavin the exception to that rule.

What about two good tournaments and a shit hot season?

anyway, if Stevie wants to stay then there is no question. It's him. If not, Ozil is top of the list.

Is no-one acknowledging Pacheco? Isn't he a similar player to Ozil?

I'm only not considering him as I'm thinking of Gerrard in his much better midfield role. In my opinion Pacheco is the backup for Aquilani in the hole, which is where I want to see him next year.

Not my point, but they both play in the same position. So Ozil in the team, will keep Pacheco out, or vice versa right?

Yes, but Ozil is exceedingly promising, has dominated a couple of games in the World Cup and looks like developing further into one of the best attacking midfielders in the world.

Pacheco has had a few decent games in our reserves.

Gerrard is the most complete footballer ever to play the game; but he's thirty. For a club in our financial sitauation those nine years make a hell of a lot of difference. He'd also cost a lot less in wages, enough to probably pay another two players.

He'd also cost a lot less in wages, enough to probably pay another two players.

Depends, if Man City don't start using the Chelsea tactic of buying every player other teams move in for and offer huge wages for them so we have to offer a stupid amount of wages to land the said player or just settle for a second choice target who is most likely shit.

Gareth Barry gets paid more than Torres, it's that pathetic.

We don't need him that badly at all, anyone remember

Alberto-Aquilani-Liverpool.jpg

We have positions with much higher priority than behind the hole. Also, he's 21, two years older than Pacheco, why go spend £20 million on Ozil when we Pacheco in the ranks developing. Would rather see Pacheco given the chance to develop and be our number 10, then go spunk a load of cash on Ozil that we DON'T have.

Exactly!!! The only reason I voted for keeping Gerrard is that we've already got someone who plays like like Ozil in Aquilani, who if he stays fit will be brilliant I really believe that.

By the way to a lot of people, myself included, Ozil is not a player who has just burst on the scene in this world cup. Anyone who follows european football would've heard his name as before Diego left Werder for Juve Ozil was his understudy and was the reason they felt they could let Diego go. He is not a flash in the pan. He will be great.

Will he be better than Gerrard?? It depends I'm of the mind that if you prefer your attacking midfielders to be silky, intelligent, with a bit of skill and flair then you'll always take a Kaka type over a Gerrard type; sorry if that upsets some folks. But for me I will always prefer someone like Aquilani playing off the front man than someone like Gerrard. Gerrard playing behind a player like that is devastating.

Although I don't think he's as good at this moment by some margin, I'd probably take it based upon a concern for replacing him in a couple of years. Let's face it, if we don't sell him for 30m and use it to replace him then we'll not have anyone of his standard for years to come.

• 9 years later...