You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC Glastonbury Coverage

Vincent Vega

52 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Until this thread I'd not heard anything he's done. Great for anyone who likes it, but it's not music, is it?

Regardless of whether we like it or not, it's definitely music.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

Until this thread I'd not heard anything he's done. Great for anyone who likes it, but it's not music, is it? More performance poetry with a musical backing. (Kend)Rick the People's Poet, if you will.

I freely admit I just don't get it.

I believe its labelled 'an acquired taste' Stronts. Of which you're right it most certainly is.

There are loads of poets out there doing good stuff.  I'm not knocking Lamar's stuff, by the way, I really liked the album he brought out about 5 or 6 years ago with all the jazz/funk samples - I think that might have had the Isleys on it.  I can listen to his stuff in a way I can't with all the other misogynistic shite, and I get the macho posturing is part of the schtick, but that's a load of shite as well.  

The lyrics are nothing special, compared with a lot of songwriters, never mind poets.  And I don't hold sampling and producing, at least at this level, as any sort of creative high watermark. That said, I do get it - for years, most songwriting (just like Ed Sheehan) and rap, is high on literalism and low on literacy.  It's a phase, just like in the 60s and to a degree in the 70s when the best popular songwriters wrote in more 'poetic' terms, using more literary devices.    

As for songwriters writing about issues of the day in this country, I agree there aren't many that I know of - Sam Fender probably the obvious one, then you've got the old timers like Billy Bragg, and the Sleaford Mods, but there are rap artists like Stormzy knocking them out.  So while I can't agree with you that he's a genius, I do think he's really good at what he does, and the fact that by and large the stuff he does is so accessible means that he gets his message across to far more people than any other 'protest singer' today. 

Right, what did I do with my Des O'Connor record?

• Upvote 1

At the end of the day, they're all pantomime dames.  Look at Dylan, the Sex Pistols, Elvis Costello, who let's not forget wrote Tramp The Dirt Down about laughing while dancing on Thatcher's grave.  They all end up getting MBEs or OBEs or Hall of Fame shows or 'roasted' by celeb chums.  Kendrick will go the same route.  

The more protest songs the better. Get the youth rallied. I appreciate it's happened for years to little avail however the day it stops is the day the world ends. 

Tramp The Dirt Down and keep on tramping it down. Stand on it's head and drown it. 

11 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Yeah, if you're a middle aged white bloke and want to connect with some bloke shouting just listen to Sleaford Mods. 

Boss band to be fair. 

Jason’s succinct reaction on Twitter to the 2019 election result was my favourite.

”Gammon Mad Max”

16 hours ago, stringvest said:

At the end of the day, they're all pantomime dames.  Look at Dylan, the Sex Pistols, Elvis Costello, who let's not forget wrote Tramp The Dirt Down about laughing while dancing on Thatcher's grave.  They all end up getting MBEs or OBEs or Hall of Fame shows or 'roasted' by celeb chums.  Kendrick will go the same route.  

Probably, his lyrics suggests he knows it himself. I like him I think as an artist he's brave. On his latest he's accompanied by just a piano singing about child abuse in the poor community's and how it's affected loads of artists including himself and people like Whitney Houston. He's got (the unknown in America) Portisheads Beth Gibbons singing the chorus. You can just imagine what the record company executives thought when he played them that one! I don't think it'll hit the easy listening charts.

Isley brothers front man Harold Isley is definitely one of his mentors and has sung and done arrangements on a few of his records, sings the last verse on Lamars 'how much a dollar worth' and his voice sounds as gorgeous as ever. Marvin Gayes troubled man is often sampled and George Clinton often adds funk/jazz arrangements. He's definitely working with best musical talent in America. If he'd have brought the backing band that plays on his records to Glastonbury then bar Macca's band and Herbie Hancock they'd have musically blown the rest of that line up away, but like all music its a question of personal taste. 

This is a simple piano based tune off his latest album which i think you can hear the influence of Prince. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Probably, his lyrics suggests he knows it himself. I like him I think as an artist he's brave. On his latest he's accompanied by just a piano singing about child abuse in the poor community's and how it's affected loads of artists including himself and people like Whitney Houston. He's got (the unknown in America) Portisheads Beth Gibbons singing the chorus. You can just imagine what the record company executives thought when he played them that one! I don't think it'll hit the easy listening charts.

Isley brothers front man Harold Isley is definitely one of his mentors and has sung and done arrangements on a few of his records, sings the last verse on Lamars 'how much a dollar worth' and his voice sounds as gorgeous as ever. Marvin Gayes troubled man is often sampled and George Clinton often adds funk/jazz arrangements. He's definitely working with best musical talent in America. If he'd have brought the backing band that plays on his records to Glastonbury then bar Macca's band and Herbie Hancock they'd have musically blown the rest of that line up away, but like all music its a question of personal taste. 

This is a simple piano based tune off his latest album which i think you can hear the influence of Prince. 

Your earlier example spunds like he's using that autotune thing. It's not my thing anyway.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Your earlier example spunds like he's using that autotune thing. It's not my thing anyway.

Probably is Vlad. A lot of hip hop is in the production techniques and his team are the best in America. The track above ends where a girl sings with various voices around her over a couple of piano chords and to me its another small dose of understated brilliance.

The track below is the Isleys smashed over the top of cool funk George Clinton inspired jazz funk backing and imo the sound created is fantastic.

I understand he not everyone's cup of tea but i find his bravery to address the issues other artists shy away from refreshing. Although at face value this record is just a feel good hip hop anthem Lamars talking about going to therapy and battling suicidal thoughts... it's not often you hear it, especially coming from a rapper from Compton.

'I went to war last night, i went to war last night,.

.see been battling depression since adolescence..

the man say your world is worth more than suicide...but the ghettos full of big guns and picket signs'

"everybody lacks confidence, how many times i been anonymous? even miserable people need company, world worth more than suicide'

Not for everyone i know but I think he's the most interesting artist around at the moment.

Anyway let's spin the record..

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Pale Waves were fairly decent just now. Apparently "The Churnups" are The Foo Fighters, on before Royal Blood tonight. 

I've never been to Glastonbury. Used to go to V Fest and Reading / Leeds when they used to be good. I love the look of Glastonbury but it feels like it's absolutely rammed full of cunts.