You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Benitez: The Final Word.

Magic Sponge

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the usual suspects arguing between themselves.

I haven't heard the interview yet, but from what I've seen posted on here it appears to be exactly what I expected.

He has spoken of the good times, and he has had a dig at Purslow, not as much I wanted him to, granted, but I understand why he has acted the way he has. And that is with decorum.

Yes you could argue he didn't show that in his battle with the owners, but upon leaving the club, it's the best way to act.

For those wanting him to come and slag the owners off while he is in a new job, have a think about it for one moment. Stop throwing your toys out the pram and throwing a tantrum, yes that's you Ant and Trucker Paddy.

Rafa Benitez is the manager of Inter Milan, how do you think his new boss would feel about him bemoaning his previous clubs owners on how they didn't do this or do that.

It's pretty obvious to me has been paid some hush hush money, and so what if he has. Phil Thomson was paid hush hush money about Souness. I'm sure every other manager who has been sacked/mutually agreed to leave has been paid money to keep quiet. And it appears he has donated a large sum of that to charity, so what's the problem? No seriously what is the problem.

I remember some posters coming on here and saying he's gone get over it, and now those very same people are crying because he's not said anything.

So enjoy the mediocrity that is going to happen, you know the one you bemoaned last season, under Roy Hodgson (who I like as a fella by the way, and isn't a bad manager) because your throwing of tantrums and chucking of toys is going to get much much worse.

This isn't a pop at all the Rafa doubters, just a pop at the crying little girlies on this thread, who seem to think they are owed something by our previous manager. Your owed the square root of fuck all. You got a European Cup and an FA cup, yes we wanted more, but you can't always get what you want can you.

I'm going to sit back and support whoever comes in, but with expectations that are lower than I've ever wanted for this club. Then maybe I'll just keep my sanity.

Guest simon

He has given to charity again this time a care home in wirral and the Rhys Jones fund what a guy i take back everything i said about him and apologise to everyone for what i said i was wrong and i hold my hands up i think its clear to see he holds Liverpool in a warm place in his heart. What a true gent for this as a mark sorry i will have a nice happy Avatar of him in memory.

Is correct

Not correct.

He was entitled to 14 million (not 16) but agreed to accept only 6. His compensation is not affected by his starting a new job straight away although he knew that there were offers from Inter and other teams.

Rafa was finished by the time he finally left, a year to late for me. There was a picture near the end of last season & the man just looked worn out.

He was a good european manager & i'll always be grateful for some of the best nights of my life.

Pity he never got to grips with the prem.

Yeah we should have sacked him right after we finished in our best position for 20 years and came within a whisker of winning the league...don't you have a baseball to find?

warren.jpg

It's shocking to look back at how much he aged physically over the six years with us.

He brought us some brilliant times and made a some mistakes along the way. Thing is, I can't think of another manager who could have done much better with such an absolute shambles of a club.

I reckon he'll be brilliant with Inter, a properly run football club with some real leaders on the pitch.

It's shocking to look back at how much he aged physically over the six years with us.

Bizarrely i said on here about 8 or so months ago that Rafa got too involved with that day to day running of the club. He never had an escape option. I;'d just read an interview with Hodgson an that he liked to go for walks or read books as an escape from football. it cleared his mind and kept him fresh from the day to day chores a modern manager has. Rafa imo had emersed himseldf too much into it and didn't give himself enough rest/time off to recharge hsi batteries.

Its not the right thread for it but every single time i've heard hogdson speak in hte last 10 or so years i've been nothing but impressed with either his viewpoint, opinion/insight into a particular game or just his vast knowlege of the game. Few days ago he talked about a book... something about pressing opponents in their own half.... it was fascinating. the rest of the panel just nodded and you could see they knew they were out of their depth.

In conclusion, Rafa's single mindedness and attention to detail was possibly his downfall.

For anyone who missed it, City FM have been in touch to ask me to let you know that it will be repeated tomorrow between 2-3pm.

Dave Usher: friend of local commercial radio staff.

(Ta, by the way).

He brought us some brilliant times and made a some mistakes along the way. Thing is, I can't think of another manager who could have done much better with such an absolute shambles of a club.

I reckon he'll be brilliant with Inter, a properly run football club with some real leaders on the pitch.

I don't think his heart is in it sadly.

I see the usual suspects arguing between themselves.

I haven't heard the interview yet, but from what I've seen posted on here it appears to be exactly what I expected.

He has spoken of the good times, and he has had a dig at Purslow, not as much I wanted him to, granted, but I understand why he has acted the way he has. And that is with decorum.

Yes you could argue he didn't show that in his battle with the owners, but upon leaving the club, it's the best way to act.

For those wanting him to come and slag the owners off while he is in a new job, have a think about it for one moment. Stop throwing your toys out the pram and throwing a tantrum, yes that's you Ant and Trucker Paddy.

Rafa Benitez is the manager of Inter Milan, how do you think his new boss would feel about him bemoaning his previous clubs owners on how they didn't do this or do that.

It's pretty obvious to me has been paid some hush hush money, and so what if he has. Phil Thomson was paid hush hush money about Souness. I'm sure every other manager who has been sacked/mutually agreed to leave has been paid money to keep quiet. And it appears he has donated a large sum of that to charity, so what's the problem? No seriously what is the problem.

I remember some posters coming on here and saying he's gone get over it, and now those very same people are crying because he's not said anything.

So enjoy the mediocrity that is going to happen, you know the one you bemoaned last season, under Roy Hodgson (who I like as a fella by the way, and isn't a bad manager) because your throwing of tantrums and chucking of toys is going to get much much worse.

This isn't a pop at all the Rafa doubters, just a pop at the crying little girlies on this thread, who seem to think they are owed something by our previous manager. Your owed the square root of fuck all. You got a European Cup and an FA cup, yes we wanted more, but you can't always get what you want can you.

I'm going to sit back and support whoever comes in, but with expectations that are lower than I've ever wanted for this club. Then maybe I'll just keep my sanity.

Top post.

Guest PurpleNose
Did he mention money? or to keep it brief, did he mention anything else apart from money?

He spent most of the hour counting his millions. Occasionally stopping to say things like, "I spit in the face of you fools".

He then blamed the fans for us finishing 7th, before finally admitting he'd thrown the odd game just for a laugh, like.