You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

No, you are right. Nothing wrong at all with that. I just don't think the "personal abuse" to the ex-manager was as widespread by regular posters was as bad as some are making it out to be. I have seen a few people to ask for names of these people. I asked Skidfingers myself the other day but he wouldn't name them. It really was a minority mate overall.

Still posing? You have been one of the most persistent Rafa scab pickers for more than two years even during the days when we were scoring more goals than any other team and more points than ever before in the Premier League while coming in the top four for five years and second last year. Whether or not you called him a fat Spanish waiter and said he was on the take and throwing games and threatening to do him physical harm - like some of your cronies on here - is not the point. But its noticeable that you never called any of them to account at the time. Some of us who did had our posts removed without explanation.

Your technique was to attempt to plead for Bascombe and his vindictive lies, to offer moral support to any of the gossips and nutcases who tried to undermine Rafa and to constantly favor the players, like Carragher, who fuel the journos with gossip in support of their own political agnedas. I've seen you repeatedly adopt your "reasonable critic" pose to defend the extremist anti-Rafa loonies who seem to have a specially protected status on here.

To meet you on your chosen ground - that of rational critic - your position is unreasonable that a manager should be forced out who has brought LFC back to international recognition, ensured a top four finish in his first five years, won prestigious cups, guided the team to score more goals and more points than any other in the club's history and exposed for the fans the true nature of the ownership while making a profit on transfers.

And before you carry on bleating about 7th place being justification enough, remember that you were on this Rafa scab picking campaign when we were in 1st and 2nd place last year and all through this season even when we were 4th and 5th.

As I have said, nobody begrudges you the right to waltz off on an anti Rafa campaign however petty it is, but at least admit it and stop claiming that it represent reasonable criticism and the Livepool Way.

Edited by diego

No, you are right. Nothing wrong at all with that. I just don't think the "personal abuse" to the ex-manager was as widespread by regular posters was as bad as some are making it out to be. I have seen a few people to ask for names of these people. I asked Skidfingers myself the other day but he wouldn't name them. It really was a minority mate overall.

Still posing? You have been one of the most persistent Rafa scab pickers for more than two years even during the days when we were scoring more goals than any other team and more points than ever before in the Premier League while coming in the top four for five years and second last year. Whether or not you called him a fat Spanish waiter and said he was on the take and throwing games and threatening to do him physical harm - like some of your cronies on here - is not the point. But its noticeable that you never called any of them to account at the time. Some of us who did had our posts removed without explanation.

Your technique was to attempt to plead for Bascombe and his vindictive lies, to offer moral support to any of the gossips and nutcases who tried to undermine Rafa and to constantly favor the players, like Carragher, who fuel the journos with gossip in support of their own political agnedas. I've seen you repeatedly adopt your "reasonable critic" pose to defend the extremist anti-Rafa loonies who seem to have a specially protected status on here.

To meet you on your chosen ground - that of rational critic - your position is unreasonable that a manager should be forced out who has brought LFC back to international recognition, ensured a top four finish in his first five years, won prestigious cups, guided the team to score more goals and more points than any other in the club's history and exposed for the fans the true nature of the ownership while making a profit on transfers.

And before you carry on bleating about 7th place being justification enough, remember that you were on this Rafa scab picking campaign when we were in 1st and 2nd place last year and and all through this season when we were in 4th and 5th.

As I have said, nobody begrudges you the right to waltz off on an anti Rafa campaign however petty it is, but at least admit it and stop claiming that it represent reasonable criticism and the Livepool Way.

And I stand by it all. It isn't personal abuse like name calling so apart from that, you are correct. I had nothing do do with the cunt post/s. I am entitled to have that opinion of him without name calling whether you like it or not sorry. I didn't overstep the mark with name calling or do you wish to sanitize the whole forum until it is clean of posts which are ANYTHING derogatory about Benitez? It isn't up to you to do that sadly.

He has gone anyway, get over it.

Juan, I am long since over it.

I said before he went that if the owners remain it would be best if Benitez leaves (and regarding the owners that sadly appears to be the case), I even argued for Roy's appointment. And I've used those same words myself "he's gone, get over it/move on" (oh and was called a Rafapologist for those very words).

As I say it's not only name calling that constitutes abuse, though I agree I can't ever recall you doing that. But to suggest that not many people either made it personal, or didn't use personal remarks or accusations against Benitez is a tad blinkered as it could be argued you were one of those people.

I'm not asking for a sanitised forum, I'm arguing that personal abuse/attacks were as inappropriate to Benitez as much as they are to Roy. People just need to consider what is deemed abusive, as I for one would much rather be called a "cunt" than have my honesty or integrity questionned.

And I stand by it all. It isn't personal abuse like name calling so apart from that, you are correct. I had nothing do do with the cunt post/s. I am entitled to have that opinion of him without name calling whether you like it or not sorry. I didn't overstep the mark with name calling or do you wish to sanitize the whole forum until it is clean of posts which are ANYTHING derogatory about Benitez? It isn't up to you to do that sadly.

He has gone anyway, get over it.

To me the examples of your posts constitute personal abuse. E.g. "I hate the man" is purely subjective, with the object of the hatred being a person, and the opinion purely personal. If someone told me that he hated me, it would be difficult to take it any other way except personally.

Rafa has gone, which is good for both the club and especially himself. His going will never stop the division in the opinions regarding him. However with time the importance of those opinions becomes less and less. I believe that people are desperate for good news about the club and will unite behind the new manager. It is what the club is about, and as long as we do that, we can deal with he owners and Purslow, we have to keep the trinity intact.

As we know though, all too well, belief doesn't erode slowly over time. It evaporates. Puff! and it's gone. And at exactly the time when because of the new UEFA rules that we can't afford to take a breather outside the top 4.

If we allow this lot to prioritize the management of their capital structure ahead of getting the most competitive manager we can, then we can look forward to an extended stay in the wilderness, an entirely avoidable scenario IMO.

Again, I agree with your general point. However, how do we stop them? No protest seems able to shift the brass necked cunts.

To me the examples of your posts constitute personal abuse. E.g. "I hate the man" is purely subjective, with the object of the hatred being a person, and the opinion purely personal. If someone told me that he hated me, it would be difficult to take it any other way except personally.

Rafa has gone, which is good for both the club and especially himself. His going will never stop the division in the opinions regarding him. However with time the importance of those opinions becomes less and less. I believe that people are desperate for good news about the club and will unite behind the new manager. It is what the club is about, and as long as we do that, we can deal with he owners and Purslow, we have to keep the trinity intact.

Yeah fair point. In hindsight I should have said I hate the man-ager.

I stand by everything else I said although I was playing TLW footy the night he was sacked I think so I wasn't out partying. That was plainly in jest.

I just think the people who dismiss his detractors posts as blatant lies may actually be wrong from time to time and there could, just could be something in it from time to time.

These things which people said about him and what they heard, how do people know that the posters who started the threads were lying about it like they seem to imply?

They just presume they are lying for effect when the reality may be so much different every so often.

Anyway, considering the title thread I still reckon it will be Hodgson despite all the Deschamps stuff this morning and I hope he proves to be a success here. Whatever happened over the years with the previous manager he was well recieved when he first took over (even when Istanbul seemed a lifetime away in the January that season when we were losing to Burnley, Man United and Southampton in the space of a week, the support for Rafa was admirable then) as was GH, Evans, Souness even, so it would be pleasant if Roy was offered the same goodwill as well like his predecessors were originally.

Edited by Juan Galonso

That's a fair point John, and they may also be passing something on which was told to them as the truth from a source they trust. There's so much bullshit being generated by nearly everyone connected to the club that it's hard to see the wood for the trees. It's fairly obvious in the cold light of day that some of the things said about him were untrue though.

Thats the crux of the matter where R*** is concerned. So much insinuated stuff in the last 2 years, to try to paint him in a bad manner, which I've never seen any actual proof of said things. And now he's gone it actually transpires that some of it may not have been true after all. Some quality climbdowns going on the last week. It stinks really.

What is Code's post in reference to?

It was just another perspective to Moo`s post where he quoted several statements.

He used it to back up some awkward point and I tried to show that a few of those qoutes might not be far off.

It was just another perspective to Moo`s post where he quoted several statements.

He used it to back up some awkward point and I tried to show that a few of those qoutes might not be far off.

It wasn't to back up some awkward point at all.

It was to show that some of Benitez's biggest detractors who are now telling people not to abuse Hodgson while claiming they never got personal with Benitez were as personally abusive, if not more so, towards the previous manager. When challenged, "name names" was the repeated request, eventually someone had to.

I agree with John though, I dont think many actually were abusive towards Rafa even if there was a few, personally I think some of Rafa`s biggest defenders are more abusive towards Hodgson at the moment so I dont understand the high horse someone is jumping on.

Personally I`m happy Rafa is gone but I dont want Hodgson either, that does not mean I do not respect the stance people like John is taking at the moment, especially since we have not seen a player kicked a ball under Hodgson yet.

If he wants to give him a chance thats fine by me and it should be by anyone and I cant see the need to make an issue out of it.

If Hodgson proves to be dogshite and the stance stay the same then come back, but as it stands now I really dont understand the need for these posts.

Put your views on Hodgson forward based on his results and the football played under him so far, just like people, me included, did with Rafa a few weeks ago.

But until anyone is appointed I will post my reservations about Hodgson and if tis him I pray to God he proves me wrong, if he does not I will feel no need to have a go at those wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt before a ball is even kicked under his regime.

I agree with John though, I dont think many actually were abusive towards Rafa even if there was a few, personally I think some of Rafa`s biggest defenders are more abusive towards Hodgson at the moment so I dont understand the high horse someone is jumping on.

Personally I`m happy Rafa is gone but I dont want Hodgson either, that does not mean I do not respect the stance people like John is taking at the moment, especially since we have not seen a player kicked a ball under Hodgson yet.

If he wants to give him a chance thats fine by me and it should be by anyone and I cant see the need to make an issue out of it.

If Hodgson proves to be dogshite and the stance stay the same then come back, but as it stands now I really dont understand the need for these posts.

Put your views on Hodgson forward based on his results and the football played under him so far, just like people, me included, did with Rafa a few weeks ago.

But until anyone is appointed I will post my reservations about Hodgson and if tis him I pray to God he proves me wrong, if he does not I will feel no need to have a go at those wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt before a ball is even kicked under his regime.

So you don't think some of the comments I posted were personal in nature? Calling into question someone's (and not just someone, the manager of LFC) honesty and integrity, and saying you hate them sounds like personal abuse to me, and was widespread on this board. And it's far more personal and abusive than saying "Woy" (I haven't seen anything worse, not saying there hasn't been, I just haven't seen it).

There's sod all wrong with people questionning Hodgson's management credentials, especially before he has taken up a post with us. If we were thinking of appointing Bryan Robson I'd be up in arms if people weren't quesionning it.

If/ when Hodgson gets appointed manager of LFC and people therefore then have reason to support him, only then should their conduct towards him be judged (apart from any possible, and genuine, personal abuse, manager of LFC or not he doesn't deserve that).

Edited by Moo

So you don't think some of the comments I posted were personal in nature? Calling into question someone's (and not just someone, the manager of LFC) honesty and integrity, and saying you hate them sounds like personal abuse to me, and was widespread on this board. And it's far more personal and abusive than saying "Woy" (I haven't seen anything worse, not saying there hasn't been, I just haven't seen it).

There's sod all wrong with people questionning Hodgson's management credentials, especially before he has taken up a post with us. If we were thinking of appointing Bryan Robson I'd be up in arms if people weren't quesionning it.

If/ when Hodgson gets appointed manager of LFC and people therefore then have reason to support him, only then should their conduct towards him be judged (apart from any possible, and genuine, personal abuse, manager of LFC or not he doesn't deserve that).

Questioning Benitezs honesty and integrity was not "widespread" on these boards. A handful did, it was not "widespread"

I think he might just be a bit to old,for what the club needs.

We need to face the fact of,unless some billionaire wants to buy us and invest vast amounts of cash,we will need a younger guy to build us up again.

I would say at least half the 1st team will either want out or be sold.

Benny is going and I reckon the Chief is a cert to go and Babel.Nando will go either now or next season.

Kuyt and Agger maybes as well.

Roy is 63 in August and any new manager here,would need 5 to 7 years imo to do a rebuild here.

Thats unless some of the fringe players make it through.

ROY IS THE TOP BOY FOR KOP STARS

HODGSON: Reds stars agree with his appointment

By Chris Bascombe

ROY HODGSON'S appointment as Liverpool boss will get the thumbs-up from the Kop's stars.

Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher have their minds on the World Cup, but will back the arrival of the current Fulham manager.

Liverpool players not at the tournament return to pre-season training this Friday, by which time Hodgson's appointment should be formally announced.

But he will still face crunch talks with Torres and skipper Gerrard after the World Cup.

Both will want to know his transfer plans and how he intends to ensure that Liverpool become a major force again.

They have made it clear they will consider all their options when they return from South Africa next month.

The misery of the last 12 months, the failures of the last regime and the uncertainty at ownership level have made their futures uncertain.

But Hodgson's appointment will not add to their doubts - club sources believe he is as likely as anyone to retain the services of Gerrard and Torres.

The Merseysiders also want to restore some of the club's old-fashioned, dignified values after a turbulent few seasons.

And it is believed that will only happen when owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett sell up.