You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

I voted 'no' based on what I want us to be. I could easily have voted 'yes' based on what G&H has made us into though. It was never an option to hire a world class manager anyway, so from the segment we are looking in, Hodgson is actually not bad at all, ultra defensive hoofing tactics or not.

I voted 'no' based on what I want us to be. I could easily have voted 'yes' based on what G&H has made us into though. It was never an option to hire a world class manager anyway, so from the segment we are looking in, Hodgson is actually not bad at all, ultra defensive hoofing tactics or not.

I don't think we're quite dead yet kop. I didn't expect any world class managers to be quitting their current jobs in droves for us, they're all probably fairly sorted. When you learn that the likes of Pellegrini, Rijkaard, Eriksson (no I don't want him) are all biting though, then it's not clear we have to scrape the very bottom of the barrel.

I have voted no however I do think he is a decent manager in comparison to Allaydyce, Mcleish, Bruce and a more likable guy than O'Neil however with over 30 years of management behind him he has not excelled.

A few people towards the end of Rafas reign suggested after Rafa and Houllier if we can't win shit at least try and get a man who plays football the right way, I do not think Hodgson is that man.

At least we will be good from corners and set pieces in attack though and we may finish with a record number of corners.

Just been on radio city news @ 11:00 am Roy is flying home from South Africa today expected to hold talks with LFC over the weekend and could be announced by early next week,don't know were they got the info from,If its Roy i'd back him has Liverpool manager but i think its a step/jump in the wrong direction rather have Rijkarrd,kenny,pellagrini before Roy, no disrespect to Roy he seems like a nice honest bloke but it feels like /looks like our club is sinking deeper and deeper into the shit.i was holding out for a take over by the start of the season(i know,i know was being far to optimistic but now it feels like there wont be much of a club left to sell) hope Gerrard and Torres stay otherwise 7th place will seem like a mile away next season

Guest ian garro

Thing is, there's been a lot of players who have been brought to the club over the last couple of years, who were written off before a ball was even kicked, by some of the "luminaries" on this site. They weren't even given a chance, and they were constantly slagged off in every game they played.

Now, a lot of it was proven to be right - fair enough - and the holders of those views have not held back in telling everyone that they were right on every single occasion. Those people are now peddling the "if you don't support them, fuck off" line.

So how does that differ then ? Did those people give those players every chance ? Did they support them as soon as they put the red shirt on ? No, they didn't. Wouldn't it be pure hipocrisy for those people to be telling people on here to give people (Hodgson) a chance ?

I've got to the stage where I'm becoming indifferent to it all now. If Hodgson comes in, good luck to him, but I won't be lectured on "supporting", by those people. The old manager has gone, and suddenly everything is the owners' fault, as all the lies and misinformation are getting blown out the water.

Hipocrisy beyond belief at times.

I keep reading a lot of people speak about resources and doing the best with limited resources etc

Yes that may be true, Fulham are not expected to win the league, nor win any trophies. But that still doesn't provide any evidence at all that he can do a job at Liverpool!

You don't look to strikers who are scoring 10 goals a season and think, they will be do, they can't be expected to score goals as they are at a poor side, and this is more relevant if that player is older.

Roy is 63 and the best argument that people can put forward for him is that he is a nice bloke and he has done well at a club with limited resources!

Maybe if you can ask why he is being appointed you can understand why a lot of us are not just underwhelmed but angry!

It isn't anti Liverpool way at all, we just feel angry that our support is taken for granted, and seems to be treated with contempt by the board.

They are appointing an average manager to maintain average expectations and yet they want high end prices for their tickets, and a top level price for the club. Accepting Roy is one thing, accepting the decision to appoint him based on his benefits to the board is another.

Our board have history of lying to the fans and feeding misinformation, and it is a genuine and feasible worry that they know full well Roy will not keep the players, and in fact they are hoping that is the case. Roy might be intelligent but this is also his last stab at a big job and that tempation is maybe a bit more desperate than a younger manager starting out, or a top level manager who would not find themselves out of a job for too long.[/quote

Exactly what I fear.....

His first job is keeping the stars who are tempted away, if he can do that and play good football he's good enough in Liverpools current situation. Seems a nice chap too so good luck to him.

And he's English . . . paisley3.gif . . . he'll always be my favourite LFC boss.

I don't like to call people naive, but did you really, I mean really think we could do any better in the shape we are in? In that case I might have to call you just that.

I really do think we could do a lot better than Hodgson yes and thats not being naive at all.

The only reason he is mentioned is Fulhams run in the Euro League, a competition most clubs dont really take serious and if they did we probably would have seen more English clubs reach the final.

There are other superior candidates already making their interest known as we all know.

If Roy Hodgson is confirmed as the next manager of LFC it will not be a long-term appointment.

You may not agree with the appointment of Hodgson, but people need to realise that we will not be able to attract a category A manager or world class players in our current predicament. We may be a global institution with a great history and tradition, but sadly we are not an attractive proposition to outsiders at present.

Liverpool FC will not be able to move forward until Hicks and Gillett are away from the club & whilst we spend all summer debating about the merits of Roy Hodgson as manager, and whether Rafa Benitez should still be manager of LFC, the owners and the banks are getting off scot-free.

It is time that we all put our differences aside and focus on the main issue which is to get our football club back. Lets up the ante and put pressure on the banks to force Hicks and Gillett to sell the club now.

Can you explain why this post wasn't made at this time last year (or when it became obvious we weren't spending what we were bringing in)?

Only 9 away wins in 3 full seasons in the PL tells me he is not good enough.

39 goals scored in both his last two seasons for Fulham tells me his football is boring and defensive.

No he is not good enough to take us forward and compete for honours in the PL.

Not got that Friday feeling have you Codey.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's not the man I wanted. He's not the man most of us wanted. But, as long as he's our man, I'll support him.

His first job is keeping the stars who are tempted away

If the stars leave though Roy can't be blamed.

Mascherano was going to leave anyway, given his ho of a wife hates Liverpool.

Gerrard and Torres are probably fucked off given the owner situation and we finished 7th last season.

Hodgson won't be blamed if they do leave - but if he can make two out of the three stay (Gerrard and Torres) then he'll have a good chance of being a success, as if they do leave he won't be guaranteed all the funds they raise to reinvest in the team.

If Souness was deemed good enough, then Hodgson is in my eyes.

And before someone jumps on that, I KNOW Souness played for us, but he wasn't a great manager before he came to us. So on that basis yes. Will Roy take us forward and make us a force again? Probably not. But I'd love him to prove every doubter wrong, that is of course if he defo gets the job.