You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

In my opinion, no.

Disclaimer for our intellectually challenged bretheren. This does not mean :

1) I won't give him a chance/support him if appointed/encourage him/hope he does well etc etc etc

2) I am not aware of, and dismayed by, the ownership situation

3) Won't call him an owl

let's hope the intellectually challenged brethren follow your example if it happens.

I'm lucky in that I have the ability to think of more then one thing at a time and can dedicate time to more then one thing. Therefore, I can hate the owners and the mess they have created, and can question the appointment of any manager as to whether I think it's a good appointment or not.

Yes, I am being a bit of a smart arse, but the idea that we should only comment on how shite the owners are, and not anything else to do with the club is just bloody absurd. If a player makes a bad mistake during a game should we not comment because we have shite owners? Of course not.

It seems we are turning down Kenny and Pelegrini to get a substandard coach so we could do a lot better if we wanted, but the management at the club are chosing this manager so I wont just sit back and think "oh well, we're shite now so that's the best we can do" as it's not th ebest we can do., We are turning away better coaches and to ignore this and not comment on it seems daft to me.

Johnny, of course we should call it as we see it in terms of the manager and the performance of the team, but too many people (myself included) are taking their eye off the ball.

Have the i's been dotted and the t's crossed on the 12 month refinancing agreement with RBS? I'm not convinced that it has and this point was made in a recent article by Dave Maddock in the Mirror, and rather than us all be sucked in by takeover rumours I think we should all be looking to put pressure on the banks.

Not exactly. A manager who is sacked/leaves by mutual agreement etc has been because of a bad run of results. A new manager is hired to try and turn this around, whether this happens or not is purely guess work until he has been given a fair crack of the whip. He might improve on things which in all honesty won't be that hard given last seasons shite we were served up. He might do worse, but until such time it's just pure guess work to suggest he won't. Hodgson isn't exactly on my list of wanted managers for the club but he does have experience in the premier league and who knows what type of football he'll have us playing. On paper we have a far better squad than Fulham and some World class players to boot.

It’s not exactly guesswork though. Yes, there’s a chance things will perfectly click into place for him at Liverpool and he’ll become our new Shankly, but there is a very good reason that football clubs and businesses the world over look at a person’s record before appointing them and it’s because it gives you a very good idea of how they’re going to perform next.

Hodgson is in the twilight of his career now, and his CV is average. If he was a young 40-something manager I’d be all for us giving him a go on the chance that he’d develop into something special, but at this stage of his career there’s unlikely to be any surprises. Which means that he’ll probably be using the same training methods he’s always used, the same tactics he’s always used and the same style of football he’s always produced. None of which are any cause for excitement.

....we are all taking our eye off the ball and losing sight of the main issue.

That's been the case for the last 12 months though and anyone who mentioned it was told it was a separate issue and it was fine to undermine the manager because everyone knew the owners were cunts anyway.

Anyone who said we were sacking a "category A manager" and would probably down-grade was told not to spread scare stories because Mourinho, Hiddink or whoever would crawl over broken glass to manage us and even if they didn't Kenny would step into the breach.

And now everyone who is unhappy about the appointment is supposed to suppress their opinion and get behind Roy when I suspect I'm not the only one who thinks he's been appointed to keep his mouth shut and steady the team while the owners do their worst.

That's been the case for the last 12 months though and anyone who mentioned it was told it was a separate issue and it was fine to undermine the manager because everyone knew the owners were cunts anyway.

Anyone who said we were sacking a "category A manager" and would probably down-grade was told not to spread scare stories because Mourinho, Hiddink or whoever would crawl over broken glass to manage us and even if they didn't Kenny would step into the breach.

And now everyone who is unhappy about the appointment is supposed to suppress their opinion and get behind Roy when I suspect I'm not the only one who thinks he's been appointed to keep his mouth shut and steady the team while the owners do their worst.

And just to take it down a notch or two, I'd like to add to all the hypocrites.

Blow me fuck faces. Go to hell. I'm sick of you lot.

I've not been sure about more than half of the appointments in my lifetime. I actually shat myself when they appointed Shankly.

I'm tempted to do that now, in fact.

The most certainty I had was about Souness, the least Houllier, but they've nearly all made some sort of sense - even this one.

Pre internet you were oblivious to everyone's views apart from family, friends, journalists and Jimmy Hill but there's always caution whoever it is.

I'm curious and cautious about this one too.

We won't know until he takes up the job. He's had great success at most of his clubs but not had a chance at a big club. It's a big gamble.

Unlike you not to have an opinion Hermes. I'm not asking people to stake money on it. I was just wondering how many people think it's a good idea and how many not. We've had plenty of discussion and mong fighting about it. Seems it's splitting about two thirds against at the moment, which is less than I expected to be honest.

Guest Pistonbroke
It’s not exactly guesswork though. Yes, there’s a chance things will perfectly click into place for him at Liverpool and he’ll become our new Shankly, but there is a very good reason that football clubs and businesses the world over look at a person’s record before appointing them and it’s because it gives you a very good idea of how they’re going to perform next.

Hodgson is in the twilight of his career now, and his CV is average. If he was a young 40-something manager I’d be all for us giving him a go on the chance that he’d develop into something special, but at this stage of his career there’s unlikely to be any surprises. Which means that he’ll probably be using the same training methods he’s always used, the same tactics he’s always used and the same style of football he’s always produced. None of which are any cause for excitement.

Until the cancers are gone it will only be as an interim manager imo. Do we employ a top notch manager now only to see him fail under the circumstances ? Ir do we employ someone with experience who will keep things ticking over until those two cunts fuck off ? I know which one i would go for.

People are saying it's because of asset stripping and employing a yes man. I doubt very much that Hodgson is the type of person to knowingly walk into such a situation or stay on if it should arise ( because believe it or not it might not happen ). I wouldn't be so sure about a foreign manager who was a yes man and had no previous feelings towards English clubs and most importantly ours.

In my opinion, no.

Disclaimer for our intellectually challenged bretheren. This does not mean :

1) I won't give him a chance/support him if appointed/encourage him/hope he does well etc etc etc

2) I am not aware of, and dismayed by, the ownership situation

3) Won't call him an owl

Exactly how i feel as well.

Both "sides" have used the owners as a card to downgrade other people's opinions on the managerial front. There are very few people who've trod a completely unhypocritical line on here, if any. We can keep lashing out at each other, that's fine. We're not going to shift the owners until they're ready to go or the bank forces their hand anyway. They've proved beyond doubt that they will do whatever the fuck they like because the vast majority of fans don't give a flying fuck.

Unlike you not to have an opinion Hermes. I'm not asking people to stake money on it. I was just wondering how many people think it's a good idea and how many not. We've had plenty of discussion and mong fighting about it. Seems it's splitting about two thirds against at the moment, which is less than I expected to be honest.

You didn't ask if it was a good idea, you asked if he was good enough.

Would I give him the job if it was my decision? No, but I don't know the reasons behind it. Maybe others won't take it because of the uncertainty surrounding the club and he's a short term fix.

Guest PurpleNose

If we finish 14th this season do we employ someone who can simply improve on 14th?

Hodgson clearly isn't good enough for the club. But for the owners, he's perfect.

I'll back him whilst he's here, which probably won't be for very long.

Only 9 away wins in 3 full seasons in the PL tells me he is not good enough.

39 goals scored in both his last two seasons for Fulham tells me his football is boring and defensive.

No he is not good enough to take us forward and compete for honours in the PL.

It really shows how far we've fallen by making this appointment. Very, very disappointing. It's almost as if the brass has accepted we will not be challenging for the top prizes so they've hired a man who will keep us challenging for a UEFA Cup place, and no more. Does Purslow really think Woy will lead us to the title? Fuck sake, this club truly is in the pits. And don't expect Torres to hang around either, or Gerrard for that matter. Woy already has Zamora lined up to replace Torres.

Would it be too much to ask for that one of the journalist actually reading and writing on this forum took the time to write a piece on Hodgson maybe analysing his away record in the PL, like I`ve shown before he`s got 9 away wins in his 3 full seasons with Blackburn and Fulham in 57 games.

He has averaged less points in the league with Fulham and Blackburn than the likes of Roeder at Newcastle, Allardyce at Bolton and Blackburn, Curbishley at West Ham, Souness at Blackburn, Strachan at Soton, Hughes ay Blackburn, Royle and Moyes at Everton among with loads of others.

Hodgsons appointment is almost like an insult to Liverpool fans and maybe its time the Liverpool fans points to a few of these facts so they can open the eyes of those in the process making this mistake.

I don't like to call people naive, but did you really, I mean really think we could do any better in the shape we are in? In that case I might have to call you just that.