You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

I was around and there were questions raised about all three, though less so with Fagan than the other two. But I don't recall anyone telling them to fuck off.

No nor do I, and I wouldn't do that either. I'm all for raising questions about the appointment of Hodgson though, at least until he's in the job.

Sven could have done it,

Now you are just being silly.

By all means complain about Hodgson's teams being defensive, but you can't then bring Sven into the equation. You only need to see what he has done at Mexico and the Ivory Coast - both teams full of attacking players, both made to play with 10 men behind the ball. It's a horrendous, cautious form of anti-football.

Besides, the only reason he wants the job is because that secretary who shagged Ashley Cole came from the club.

Not that I'm keen on Hodgson - I think a younger coach is the way forward, especially as we crave entertainment after the last season - younger coaches are less set in their ways. I'd be tempted to try to get Blanc, who surely must be having second thoughts about France? Or what about Atletico's manager - he's 45 and there is somehting of the Mourinho about his character (the good side of Mourinho, not the attention-seeking tw*t!)

Edited by Royal Family

Defensive boring football it is then next season. Lurvley.

That's what, 10 years in a row interrupted by blips of freeflowing attacking football?

I'm sure we'll live through another couple of seasons, but fuck me it would be nice if playing good stuff was the rule rather than the exception.

There's nothing wrong with questioning Hodgson's appointment, he's not my first choice either, but to start slagging him off BEFORE he's even done anything, is just ridiculous.

He might be shite, he might be great, we don't know yet.

That's what, 10 years in a row interrupted by blips of freeflowing attacking football?

I'm sure we'll live through another couple of seasons, but fuck me it would be nice if playing good stuff was the rule rather than the exception.

If we were to win I wouldnt care. But I think with Hodgson it will be boring and we will be shite. If he gets the job I will give him time but I doubt others will.

Guest TK-421

I don't agree with this appointment, in fact I couldn't feel more underwhelmed, but it's all just small details.

The real problem still needs dealing with.

I think he can bring two things we have lacked and needed for a long time harmony and fight.

Dam right.

I am sure Hodgson could also improve our defending at set plays, threat at corners and pick players on form (sorry Kuyt).

All things which don't require money.

No top club with decent resources either present or right around the corner would appoint Hodgson. That makes me more worried than the appointment itself. As other have pointed out, this will likely lead to mediocrity for the foreseeable future. But as with Rafa towards the end, it will be hard to seperate the effect of management and lack of resources on our poor form.

Defensive boring football it is then next season. Lurvley.

Were Fulham that defensive?!

I don't think they were at home, they looked like they played a passing game to me.

Away from home they were more often than not, but then again he didn't have players such as Gerrard, Torres etc to play a more expansive game.

Hopefully he will be more adventurious if appointed.

If we were to win I wouldnt care. But I think with Hodgson it will be boring and we will be shite. If he gets the job I will give him time but I doubt others will.

I agree. If Hodgson gets us challenging by installing fighting spirit and getting close wins, noone will care.

Like you, I just find that hard to believe. Especially as I think he will have a hard time convincing Torres to stay.

Were Fulham that defensive?!

I don't think they were at home, they looked like they played a passing game to me.

Away from home they were more often than not, but then again he didn't have players such as Gerrard, Torres etc to play a more expansive game.

Hopefully he will be more adventurious if appointed.

Yeah, Away from home next season if we have Gerrard and Torres he will still be cautious.

I desperately don’t want Hodgson as manager. He has done an average job everywhere he has gone bar decades ago in a Mickey mouse league. If a manager with his record was been touted when Houllier was sacked, then every red would have been up in arms so it astounds me to see the people who, for reasons I can’t fathom, are backing his appointment. Actually, now I think about it, the people who are championing Hodgson have yet to give a proper reason why as far as I can tell. I will obviously dearly hope I am proved wrong as, but very much fear we will not only lose very important players with this appointment, but will have to settle for battles for a top 10 place in the league. Everton will finish above us every season, and that will be very hard to take.

Having said that, he will get my support in so much as I will want him to succeed, but if appointed, I can’t just flick some switch in my brain that will all of a sudden make me think he is a very good manager and the correct appointment, so my severe doubts will remain.

As an aside, I find it very weird that some Liverpool fans are having a go at other Liverpool fans for telling the Fulham manager to fuck off. He’s the Fulham manager with no link to Liverpool football club at all so if someone wants to tell him to fuck off then they can, just as much as they can tell Sven, O’Neill, Pellagrini, Hiddink, etc, to fuck off. However, if this thread was started AFTER he was appointed, then I would agree with the thread starter getting shit for it.

I love all this criticism of Roy's defensive football. It wouldn't be as bad if people had actually watched Fulham more than a handful of times, rather than just repeating this myth.

You play to your strengths for a start, and Fulham never had the players to play expansive football in every game. Just as Stoke don't and just as other mid-table clubs don't.

When Roy was at Blackburn they played some really good stuff in his first season, there is absolutely no reason for people to assume we'll play defensive football with him in charge.

Have doubts about his track record by all means, but keep it factual rather than just guessing.

Whether or not he's the right man for the job, it isn't right that he should be referred to as a 'gobshite'.

If he's appointed, he deserves time to prove everybody here right (or wrong, depending on your outlook), but whatever happens I don't think he should be personally abused, that's just bollocks.

He's a decent feller and an honest one too, he deserves our backing if he gets the job because fuck me it's one poisoned chalice our club at the minute. While those two helmets are here, I don't envy anybody taking the manager's post at Liverpool.