You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England v Slovenia

RedinSweden

Yeah, there's only 1.5 million people in the Merseyside area and look at the players it's produced: Gerrard, Rooney, Carragher and Warnock alone in the current England squad.

Slovenia are no mugs, if they were that shit why are England the only team in the group who managed to beat them?

England should have scored 4 or 5 today, it was a very good performance even if the hanging on for grim death at the end was typically England (and LFC for that matter).

Slovenia beat Algeria because of a gift from the goalkeeper and they got a draw against USA because USA got a goal wrongly disallowed.

They are a poor team, their captain and maybe best player is a Championship player and still England struggled to beat them and could easily have got a draw.

Englands best players have limited technical abilty compared to average players from most the other teams still in the WC, their defense is poor and their goalkeeper a clown.

They will most likely get knocked out in the next round, simply because they are not good enough mainly because the PL is filled with foreign players so the up and coming English players never really gets the chance to develop.

Thought England were good today, can play better and probably will need to in the last 16, but we've given ourselves an opportunity to go one better at the weekend. Should have won by at least 4, Defoe and Jughead in particular missed absolute sitters.

Was hoping to top the group, and we should have because the USA are nothing special, but we've won today, we've put in a good display with it, let's attack the Germans or whoever on Saturday and see what we can do.

No, his incompetence has nothing to do with his being Malian, his lack of exposure to top level football however may have played a big role in his lack of competency. Happy? When I called Obrero and Hansson incompetent Nordic ref, was I being racist too?

Okay, I may have misunderstood you, but I don't understand why you would refer to his nationality, which according to you has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Slovenia beat Algeria because of a gift from the goalkeeper and they got a draw against USA because USA got a goal wrongly disallowed.

They are a poor team, their captain and maybe best player is a Championship player and still England struggled to beat them and could easily have got a draw.

Englands best players have limited technical abilty compared to average players from most the other teams still in the WC, their defense is poor and their goalkeeper a clown.

They will most likely get knocked out in the next round, simply because they are not good enough mainly because the PL is filled with foreign players so the up and coming English players never really gets the chance to develop.

One goal due to Greens error.

James is a very good keeper.

Norway aren't in the World Cup.

Oh sorry, didn't mean to type the last bit.

England played well for 70 mins today and should have won 4-0.

Okay, I may have misunderstood you, but I don't understand why you would refer to his nationality, which according to you has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Well, it does insofar as the level of football that he's exposed to is probably very shit. Also, he could be white and Malian. Unlikely, but possible.

I don't think it's that simple though code. Lots of recent WC winners have had very slow starts, England under Capello have been impressive for my money, i can see us doing well now.We'll beat Germany, convinced of it.

Well, it does insofar as the level of football that he's exposed to is probably very shit. Also, he could be white and Malian. Unlikely, but possible.

Funny then that the two worst refereeing performances at this years WC have come from refs from the French and Spanish leagues. And the best ref so far has been the Japanese lad.

So for England to win the world cup they're probably going to have to beat Germany, then Argentina, then Spain then Brazil.

They're not gonna do it. Serbia, then Uruguay/ROK, Brazil/NL is a much easier route -- but they couldn't buy a goal, and had to send on anti-footballer Heskey to defend their slim lead. Amazing.

One goal due to Greens error.

James is a very good keeper.

Norway aren't in the World Cup.

Oh sorry, didn't mean to type the last bit.

England played well for 70 mins today and should have won 4-0.

England have played in a group including Algerie, Slovenia and USA, probably the easiest group seen at a WC.

Norway is not at the WC but still ahead of Slovenia in the FIFA rankings and to get you down from your hight horse, when did England beat Norway the last time?

England are a poor team, my prediction before the WC started was that they would get through from the group stage then be knocked out.

Just as an aside is there anything better than the World Cup? Wife went to pick up the kids from school before and they were all watching the game in the main hall. Massive cheer went up when we scored, said she knew England had scored before she got to the gates; that's what it's all about; come on England.

Fucking hell, I agree with Code.

England have played in a group including Algerie, Slovenia and USA, probably the easiest group seen at a WC.

Norway is not at the WC but still ahead of Slovenia in the FIFA rankings and to get you down from your hight horse, when did England beat Norway the last time?

England are a poor team, my prediction before the WC started was that they would get through from the group stage then be knocked out.

Code, you never take into account mistakes, slip us etc etc, your cold hard spock logic is always a bit skewed due to human being being unpredictable. Except for you.

I'm not very patriotic but why can't weenglish at least feel ok about getting through without bitters giving it their bitterest?

I don't think it's that simple though code. Lots of recent WC winners have had very slow starts, England under Capello have been impressive for my money, i can see us doing well now.We'll beat Germany, convinced of it.

I`m not so sure, I`ve never been a England fan though, but I simply think you need more pace and skill in your team to make it at this WC.

Now I have not followed England closely under Capello, but even if they did great in the qualifiers in a easy group I seem to remember that they have struggled a bit when up against decent opposition the friendlies.

I dont think they have the material to play 4-4-2 when it comes to midfielders, both Cole and Johnson are suspect defensively and the CB are slow and will be shown up against better opposition.

I'm not very patriotic but why can't weenglish at least feel ok about getting through without bitters giving it their bitterest?

No problem, enjoy it all you like.

You were never really in danger to not make it though from my point of view.

I`m just saying that this team is a bit too limited to really make it all the way.

I usually like Italy, but this year its too much grafters and they miss the players like Totti and Del Piero who can create things out of nothing.

I think they will be knocked out early as well if its any comfort.

• Upvote 1

The pitch was awful. The commentators didn't mention it, but there was a moment in the second half when part of the white line of the penalty area was up on a ridge as though a cleaner had just shoved some dust under the carpet.

Credit to England at the end, too: they actually ran down the time. It's been quite a while since I saw teams doing that (usually against us!).

As someone who, right from the first game, wanted Joe Cole on, I must say he deserved whatever shitkickingly severe bollocking he now gets from Capello for that naive display.

The disciplinary rules: they should wipe out the yellow cards after the group stage. The reffing is shite anyway, but, come on, get the players playing.