You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Broughton responds to criticism of Rafa’s departure

StevieH

I do hope I never have to deal with some of you in a business capacity.

He is the chairman of the board, the board (and the owners, I suspect) decided to dispense with his services. We have no idea whether the final decision on that came from Broughton or whoever.

He has a duty and responsibility to put his name to it.

Would we have this discussion if the meetings between himself and Rafa about transfer funding had gone well?

Did we have them when he said that, as far as he is concerned, Rafa would be in charge?

Would we fuck.

Is right

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A non executive chairman makes a very executive decision whilst seemingly all too concious of the watching media.

I hope Broughton is as concious of the fans desire to see Kenny Dalglish appointed the next manager of this club.

Sometimes it pays to understand board structures and mechanics before sticking your foot in your mouth. Because one is non exec does not mean you have no influence on exec matters. If anything the media comment was rather ignorant and gives the angry ones a reason to vent.

Edited by 2pak

Guest TK-421

The club is run by self-serving parasites without its best interests at heart.

It's ok though because they got rid of Rafa.

John at times your so fuckin naive!!!

Whats Broughton doing at the Club in the 1st Place?

Wasn't Purslows job to sell/find investment?

This is same Purslow that told us he'd have investment by Easter.

The Club being run are by FINANCE MEN,who haven't a fuckin clue about football,Dalglish is now reported to be at odds with Purslow.

Purslow will favour Hodgson over Dalgish,because Dalglish will stand up to him and that little poisonous Cunt couldn't handle another Rafa situation.

Get your head out of the sand,Purslow would sell Torres and Gerrard in a heartbeat for a £100m and give Hodgson £50m to go and find replacements, and then try and convince the masses that we spent OUT usual budget.

I know your a decent Red, banter aside WAKE FUCKIN UP !!!!!!

Agreed, Broughton was very composed and assured when unveiled as Chairman. But one thing for sure is that although he was specific about his role 'selling the club' he is now saying that it is his primary role. I thought Christian was in charge of footballing matters? Then why comment on the parting of ways.

THe guy is a fucking whopping size 6 WANKER and the sooner this chav and the rest of the board are removed the better it will be. I DON'T trust a word any of the fuckers say.

It doesn't give people a reason to vent because they are 'angry' ones, people vent because they think we're stupid and are going to believe every word they say. Insult peoples intelligence then they'll come back harder, faster and with more venom then ever before.

I think you're misinterpreting his statement. He's not saying he took notice of the press to sack Rafa.

I think he's saying that the press do not agree that sacking Rafa was the wrong decision and that the sender of the e-mail was one of a minority who thought that it was wrong and he's using the press reaction to enforce that point.

Press reaction is of no consequence to a supporter who knows what he is talking about. Quoting media reaction merely reinforces Broughton's own inability to defend his actions to supporters. The man's a twat.

Press reaction is of no consequence to a supporter who knows what he is talking about. Quoting media reaction merely reinforces Broughton's own inability to defend his actions to supporters. The man's a twat.

Or have the ability to put his point across in a simple and effective manner.

I'm very concerned with the decison to get rid of Benitez at the time we have. I would very much like to know how we are better off, especially during a transfer window where our best players are vulnerable to be snatched away, with no manager at all. Whether I wanted Benitez to stay, or whether I wanted him to leave is not the issue I have.

Benitez leaving may or may not be the best for the club, and as long as decisions are made in the clubs best interests, that's all I can ask for. But why haven't we had someone lined up already, as this departure was never a quick decision, to take over the footballing matters once Benitez has gone?

This period of being managerless could be very damaging if some of our fears are made reality.

From the limited amount of Liverpool supporters i've either spoken to or read comments from, there seems a roughly 50/50 split on whether they wanted Benitez to stay or go. But, I would have thought it would be a much smaller percentage who would like us to be without a manager at this time.

I'm questioning the logic of getting rid of Plan A (Benitez here), when Plan B (which has to be an improvement on Benitez) either can't be realised right now, or worse, hasn't even been decided upon.

So whats wrong with a Chairman sacking a manager again?

Absolutely nothing, especially if the manager in question has been underperforming. Which he had.

So let's ask another question: what's wrong with a manager wanting to sell an underperforming player?

Cos when our ex-manager did that once, this place went into atomic fucking meltdown.

Now imagine that manager was a self-proclaimed Chelsea fan who liked to attend Chelsea functions while still managing Liverpool football club. I think some people may have had a problem with this.

Agreed, Broughton was very composed and assured when unveiled as Chairman. But one thing for sure is that although he was specific about his role 'selling the club' he is now saying that it is his primary role.

I took the liberty of bolding the part of your post that explains why he would put his name to a board decision.

See, I think stuff like that is a massive distraction. Criticize his performance in selling the club by all means, although it might be premature. Criticize him sending ill-advised and concerning emails regarding what he thinks was important in sacking Rafa (media response). Criticize the fact his other job isn't going too well and as a dyed-in-the-wool Chelsea fan his appointment might be a conflict of interests.

But critcizing him for doing exactly what a chairman does? I don't get it.

Guest TK-421
It always has been, its just when you are sweeping all before you people dont realise and just turn a blind eye.

It's never been as bad as this.

No investment in the team, decisions justified by media agenda, lies, lies, lies. Can't wait for the transfer window to open.

Fuck me, realred is now the voice of LFC and or its fans, is he? Just because he has a website called Anfield Road makes him 'qualified' to spout his verbose disenchantment?

Get to fuck.

Benitez has gone, deal with it.

Broughton replied, deal with it. Realred would no doubt have taken broughton to task for not replying if that had been the case. A classic head I win, tails you lose.

Move on for god's sake.

I do hope I never have to deal with some of you in a business capacity.

He is the chairman of the board, the board (and the owners, I suspect) decided to dispense with his services. We have no idea whether the final decision on that came from Broughton or whoever.

He has a duty and responsibility to put his name to it.

Would we have this discussion if the meetings between himself and Rafa about transfer funding had gone well?

Did we have them when he said that, as far as he is concerned, Rafa would be in charge?

Would we fuck.

Excellent post. realred is just on a shit stirring crusade because of benitez leaving.

People need to move on.

Absolutely nothing, especially if the manager in question has been underperforming. Which he had.

So let's ask another question: what's wrong with a manager wanting to sell an underperforming player?

Cos when our ex-manager did that once, this place went into atomic fucking meltdown.

Now imagine that manager was a self-proclaimed Chelsea fan who liked to attend Chelsea functions while still managing Liverpool football club. I think some people may have had a problem with this.

Ooh, I hope Hodgson suprises us all and has a decent season like Lucas.

John at times your so fuckin naive!!!

Whats Broughton doing at the Club in the 1st Place?

Wasn't Purslows job to sell/find investment?

This is same Purslow that told us he'd have investment by Easter.

The Club being run are by FINANCE MEN,who haven't a fuckin clue about football,Dalglish is now reported to be at odds with Purslow.

Purslow will favour Hodgson over Dalgish,because Dalglish will stand up to him and that little poisonous Cunt couldn't handle another Rafa situation.

Get your head out of the sand,Purslow would sell Torres and Gerrard in a heartbeat for a £100m and give Hodgson £50m to go and find replacements, and then try and convince the masses that we spent OUT usual budget.

I know your a decent Red, banter aside WAKE FUCKIN UP !!!!!!

You're just so fucking clueless, that you cant get basics right, can you?

Purslow's job was to find investment. I bolded that bit so you can construct the first part of an argument.

Purslow found investment and presented it to the owners. I bolded the second bit so you can add this to the construct.

The owners, for whatever reason turned down the investment. I bolded the third bit so you can now construct an argument which is ;

Purslow found investment, presented it to the owners who turned it down. Ergo, Purslow succeeded in his task of finding investment. His task was never to get the owners to accept unconditionally, that investment.

This proves you are incorrect.

As for how you think Purslow is 'now at odds with Dalglish,' one can only wonder at what marvellous argument you'll come up with.

Still, it fits your agenda, doesnt it.

So who is this underperforming player? Keane, Alonso? Who?

If you're pointing at Keane, no doubt the manager's constant subbing him on the hour had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

A few thoughts;

The Broughton-Chelsea link does really trouble me, but the reality is there are much wider issue here with how these businessmen interact with football clubs, which are of course anything but your generic business model. In days gone by owners/chairmen would often be rich business who were also clear football fans and, who had broadly altruistic aims for the club itself and acted in relatively good faith. Unfortunately we must accept Broughton is constrained largely by the owners, not by the fans. His sole remit is clearly to get the best price, althoguh you could argue that surely a quick sale would be the best way to achieve that, unless theres a decision been made that we should gamble on improving things next season. This is of course not only a nonsense business decision, but also a nonsense footballing decision. We just have to hope the two aims of football success and business acumen coincide, unfortunately with these two prats at the helm it seems unlikely.

Also @ Mr Mojo's point about not having a plan B. I completely agree. What kind of shit club sacks their manager without any thought as to who is going to replace them? Clubs mired in relegation battles is surely the only example. I think Broughton's reference to the media view is ridiculous, but he could have quite easily made a point by similar effect by just saying, 'look, there are also a lot of fans didn't think Rafa was doing a good job'. That said, if there is no-one any better out there then that changes the debate completely.

Which player was then then because I can think of more than one to be honest.