You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ex-Liverpool FC manager Rafa Benitez donates £96,000 to Hillsborough Family Support G

StevieH

Not really.

I was just wondering why you felt the need to make a snide comment about the fact the Benitez family are making charitable donations to a number of Merseyside charities.

My only conclusion was that your dislike of the man's management style is prejudicing your opinion of the man himself.

Either that or you just hate him.

Don't be too hard on him. One of the "pets" of TLW - part of the ruling clique on here - is on record on here as saying he "hates" Rafa and will physically attack him given the opportunity. The same guy also accused Rafa of taking kickbacks. More recently he said Rafa had told Gerrard that he could not be sacked because of what it would cost the club and he did this by rubbing his fingers together in the style of someone rolling a reefer - or in the style of a Spaniard talking about funny money to a guy from Whiston.

Its amazing what you could get away with on TLW in the last two years if your were anti-Rafa

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It yet again proves what I always believed a man who loved the club and the city.

Echo that statement wholeheartedly.

All the best in Italy Rafa. Looking forward to watching how the season pans out for you.

It's the local and therefore personal nature of these donations that is so poignant for me. Any multimillionaire could assuage his conscience by throwing money around. What Rafa and Montse have done is donate to causes they have had a personal connection with, in many cases ones without a very high local profile, never mind national one

I'll always regret what I saw as Rafa's flaws as a manager - and not just because I felt he had supreme talents in that regard too. No, it's because this stuff shows that, had he been able to avoid our implosion on the pitch, he had the potential as a man to match the esteem in which any of our legends is held.

Rafa Benitez: like all of us, a flawed human being but a fundamentally decent one, too.

It's the local and therefore personal nature of these donations that is so poignant for me. Any multimillionaire could assuage his conscience by throwing money around. What Rafa and Montse have done is donate to causes they have had a personal connection with, in many cases ones without a very high local profile, never mind national one

I'll always regret what I saw as Rafa's flaws as a manager - and not just because I felt he had supreme talents in that regard too. No, it's because this stuff shows that, had he been able to avoid our implosion on the pitch, he had the potential as a man to match the esteem in which any of our legends is held.

Rafa Benitez: like all of us, a flawed human being but a fundamentally decent one, too.

Nice post mate.

Rafa is not a flawed man. The implosion on the pitch you referred to was the result of sustained patches of poor form by Carragher, in the first 8 weeks of the season, the poor form and attitude of Gerrard throughout the season, the frequent absences of Torres, the lack of intestinal fortitude in a number of players and the extraordinary number of serious injuries to some 18 members of the first team.

Given the influence of the pusillanimous moaners in the team one can appreciate all the more the fighters and workers Rafa brought in such as Pepe, Kuyt , Mascherano (although he started poorly, too) and Leiva.

• 2 weeks later...
One day we are going to realise what we lost when we sacked Rafa.

I have been a bitter critic of his reign, but always from a professional point of view. He wasn't the right man to take us forward as a club, but Rafa the man always was courteous and generous to people and charities during his time in Liverpool. The donations he made will be welcomed and appreciated by those who received them for years to come.

I hope that in the past 6 years, he's also dispelled to some extent the negative image of Madridistas, the world over. They're not all Franco sympathisers, but just tolerant and hospitable people like everyone else.

Guest The Chimp
I have been a bitter critic of his reign, but always from a professional point of view. He wasn't the right man to take us forward as a club, but Rafa the man always was courteous and generous to people and charities during his time in Liverpool. The donations he made will be welcomed and appreciated by those who received them for years to come.

I hope that in the past 6 years, he's also dispelled to some extent the negative image of Madridistas, the world over. They're not all Franco sympathisers, but just tolerant and hospitable people like everyone else.

Fuck me, a bit of balance. More than happy to rep. As you've highlighted there mate, things simply aren't always (or let's be honest even mostly) black and white.

• 1 year later...

I know people will say it's easy for him, but fair play to Rafa. His heart is in the right place.

Former Liverpool FC boss Rafa Benitez gives additional financial donation to support Hillsborough familes - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

FORMER Liverpool FC boss Rafa Benitez made a further substantial donation to the Hillsborough Family Support Group (HFSG).

The Reds legend, who previously pledged £96,000 to the group when he left Merseyside for the Inter Milan job in the summer of 2010, handed over £2,800 to the cause through his wife’s charity the Montse Benitez Foundation.

The cash will help the group continue its campaign to fight for justice and seek the truth into what happened at the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

Rafa, who lives in West Kirby, Wirral, told the ECHO: “I regard Merseyside as my home because of the way my family have been accepted and treated by the people and I know that the group is such an important cause.

“I'm happy to be able to help.”

The cash was raised through ticket sales of a recent event at the Liverpool Empire Theatre where Rafa gave an interview to an audience of football fans.

HFSG chairwoman Margaret Aspinall accepted the cheque at the group's office at the Anfield Sports and Community Centre on Lower Breck Road.

She said: “What Rafa Benitez has donated through the Montse Benitez Foundation means a great deal to all of the families. It will help the group to get to the truth and justice that we deserve.

“The money will help us with running the group.

"It helps us for pay for the running costs such as phone lines, letters, stamps and organising transport for official meetings.

“Without that support our group would have collapsed. Rafa is doing this for the 96. He is a true gent.”

Various other Merseyside charities - including Rowan Park School, Wirral Autistic Society, and the Lily Centre - also benefited from donations made through the Montse Benitez Foundation.

The foundation was set up earlier this year to help raise funds. and lift the profile of the charities through the organisation's name.