You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

*Economic theory as it exists increasingly resembles a shed full of broken tools. This is not to say there are no useful insights here, but fundamentally the existing discipline is designed to solve another century’s problems. The problem of how to determine the optimal distribution of work and resources to create high levels of economic growth is simply not the same problem we are now facing: i.e., how to deal with increasing technological productivity, decreasing real demand for labor, and the effective management of care work, without also destroying the Earth. This demands a different science. The “microfoundations” of current economics are precisely what is standing in the way of this. Any new, viable science will either have to draw on the accumulated knowledge of feminism, behavioral economics, psychology, and even anthropology to come up with theories based on how people actually behave, or once again embrace the notion of emergent levels of complexity—or, most likely, both.

Intellectually, this won’t be easy. Politically, it will be even more difficult. Breaking through neoclassical economics’ lock on major institutions, and its near-theological hold over the media—not to mention all the subtle ways it has come to define our conceptions of human motivations and the horizons of human possibility—is a daunting prospect. Presumably, some kind of shock would be required. What might it take? Another 2008-style collapse? Some radical political shift in a major world government? A global youth rebellion? However it will come about, books like this—and quite possibly this book—will play a crucial part.*

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2019/12/05/against-economics/?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits&fbclid=IwAR0P2qAXg7Cxq9lSfUIYBfanwnGfKz48ay7qUxsFYpq30mNMYzdJ7gJTuQk

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

*Economic theory as it exists increasingly resembles a shed full of broken tools. This is not to say there are no useful insights here, but fundamentally the existing discipline is designed to solve another century’s problems. The problem of how to determine the optimal distribution of work and resources to create high levels of economic growth is simply not the same problem we are now facing: i.e., how to deal with increasing technological productivity, decreasing real demand for labor, and the effective management of care work, without also destroying the Earth. This demands a different science. The “microfoundations” of current economics are precisely what is standing in the way of this. Any new, viable science will either have to draw on the accumulated knowledge of feminism, behavioral economics, psychology, and even anthropology to come up with theories based on how people actually behave, or once again embrace the notion of emergent levels of complexity—or, most likely, both.

Intellectually, this won’t be easy. Politically, it will be even more difficult. Breaking through neoclassical economics’ lock on major institutions, and its near-theological hold over the media—not to mention all the subtle ways it has come to define our conceptions of human motivations and the horizons of human possibility—is a daunting prospect. Presumably, some kind of shock would be required. What might it take? Another 2008-style collapse? Some radical political shift in a major world government? A global youth rebellion? However it will come about, books like this—and quite possibly this book—will play a crucial part.*

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2019/12/05/against-economics/?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits&fbclid=IwAR0P2qAXg7Cxq9lSfUIYBfanwnGfKz48ay7qUxsFYpq30mNMYzdJ7gJTuQk

It was probably a shepherds hut.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a coincidence I am sure;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51619608

Life expectancy among women living in the poorest communities in England has declined since 2011, says a report warning of growing health inequalities.

Overall, life expectancy growth has stalled over the past decade - for the first time in 100 years.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said there was "still much more to do".

The largest decreases were seen in the most deprived areas of north-east England, while the biggest increases were in the richest parts of London.

Similar trends can be seen right across the UK, the report said.

The report, by Prof Sir Michael Marmot, one of the country's leading experts on health inequalities, comes 10 years after he first published data on the growing gap between rich and poor, and between north and south, in England.

"England has lost a decade," Prof Marmot said, calling the damage to the nation's health "shocking".

"If health has stopped improving, that means society has stopped improving."

His follow-up report, after a decade of austerity, finds the picture has got worse.

It highlights:

stalling life expectancy for men and women in England since 2010

the more deprived the area, the shorter the life expectancy

among women in the poorest 10% of areas, life expectancy fell between 2010-12 and 2016-18

people in poorer areas spend more of their lives in ill health than those in affluent areas

the amount of time people spend in poor health has gone up across England since 2010

cuts in funding in deprived areas and areas outside London were larger and affected those areas more

The report says some local authorities and communities have been good at tackling health inequalities, and the government now needs to build on these successful examples.

Its other recommendations include:

developing a national strategy for reducing inequalities in health, led by the prime minister

early intervention in children's lives to reduce child poverty

reduce low-paid and insecure work

ensure a healthy standard of living for all

invest more in deprived and 'ignored' areas

"The evidence is clear and the solutions are there - what is needed is the will to act," said the chief executive of the Health Foundation, Dr Jennifer Dixon.

She said child poverty, Sure Start Children's centres and in-work poverty, were areas that needed immediate investment.

Shirley Cramer CBE, chief executive of the Royal Society for Public Health, said: "If the new government wants to show it can walk the talk on 'levelling up' for the regions and groups that have been left behind, it must begin by paying more than mere lip service to the reality of the deep and entrenched health inequalities across the UK."

• 8 months later...

I liked Obama's description of Cameron in his new book. 

“In his early forties, with a youthful appearance and a studied informality (at every international summit, the first thing he’d do was take off his jacket and loosen his tie), the Eton-educated Cameron possessed an impressive command of the issues, a facility with language, and the easy confidence of someone who’d never been pressed too hard by life.

“On economic policy though, Cameron hewed closely to free-market orthodoxy, having promised voters that his platform of deficit reduction and cuts to government services – along with regulatory reform and expanded trade – would usher in a new era of British competitiveness.

“Instead, predictably, the British economy would fall deeper into a recession.”

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Bump.

Austerity 2.0, incoming....

I see you’re fluent in Tory speak and have kindly translated the words of our esteemed Chancellor who, just this morning, promised no return to austerity to confirm for us what he really means, which is that austerity is returning. 

19 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Interesting when you go back to page 1 and see who supported austerity.

It's almost like some kind of pattern.

My rampant pro-Tory agenda on display from the off, but it really kicks in around page 5. 

Austerity is a cunts trick then and it’s a cunts trick now. I fucking hate these Tory cunts and it’s why, in spite of my own beliefs, as willing to bend so much and be pragmatic enough to just win an election to stop the rot. 

9 minutes ago, Numero said:

My rampant pro-Tory agenda on display from the off, but it really kicks in around page 5. 

Austerity is a cunts trick then and it’s a cunts trick now. I fucking hate these Tory cunts and it’s why, in spite of my own beliefs, as willing to bend so much and be pragmatic enough to just win an election to stop the rot. 

TORY!

• Upvote 1

When somebody explained to me that his austerity wasn’t about saving money, but not spending it I saw through Osbourne as the charlatan he was, it’s a subtle distinction, but profoundly important.

Before this rabble I’d hated him more than any other for his feckless inability to empathise with any other living thing, a proper risible, entitled cunt.

Don’t think he’s in my top five most despised living Tories now, which is quite remarkable really.

I suppose we have the problem of wanting to make life better for everyone, they only have to make life better for themselves and that’s much easier in the grand scheme of things.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

When somebody explained to me that austerity wasn’t about saving money, but not spending it I saw through Osbourne as the charlatan he was.

Before this rabble I’d hated him more than any other for his feckless inability to empathise with any other living thing, proper cunt.

Don’t think he’s in my top five most despised living Tories now, which is quite remarkable really.

I suppose we have the problem of wanting to make life better for everyone, they only have to make life better for themselves and that’s much easier. 

Austerity was grand theft, nothing less. 

Banks lose loads of their own money 

We bail them out 

We take on their debt 

We have to do without and have our assets sold off to 'balance OUR books'. 

Ten years later, banks are still thriving, bonuses still being paid, Cameron and Osborne are still minted

Sure Start Centres are closed, libraries are closed, volunteers are maintaining cemeteries, people are ending up in prison because they've got mental health problems and there's no early intervention teams left. 

My signature basically sums it up. Cameron and Osborne are no masterminds though, they just implemented the wider plan. Same is happening with Covid, massive contracts handed out to mates, austerity 2.0 will be disaster capitalism on an epic scale. 

What can you do  though? People love it. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Austerity was grand theft, nothing less. 

Banks lose loads of their own money 

We bail them out 

We take on their debt 

We have to do without and have our assets sold off to 'balance OUR books'. 

Ten years later, banks are still thriving, bonuses still being paid, Cameron and Osborne are still minted

Sure Start Centres are closed, libraries are closed, volunteers are maintaining cemeteries, people are ending up in prison because they've got mental health problems and there's no early intervention teams left. 

My signature basically sums it up. Cameron and Osborne are no masterminds though, they just implemented the wider plan. Same is happening with Covid, massive contracts handed out to mates, austerity 2.0 will be disaster capitalism on an epic scale. 

What can you do  though? People love it. 

We can rejoice in the fact that corporate welfare is on the way and austerity and ropey PPE contracts will seem quaint and we’ll look back on them as the halcyon days? 

I have no idea how anybody, with only the faintest of knowledge of any of this, could not be angry to the point of open revolt, let alone vote for the cunts and legitimate it.

They’ll fucking cheer and fight for it as well, madness.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We can rejoice in the fact that corporate welfare is on the way and austerity and ropey PPE contracts will seem quaint and we’ll look back on them as the halcyon days? 

I have no idea how anybody, with only the faintest of knowledge of any of this, could not be angry to the point of open revolt, let alone vote for the cunts and legitimate it.

Because most people are doing okay, and as long as they are they don't care about anyone else.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think the media is the biggest culprit in this, they frame the news, decide what's worthy of attention and what's not. I think it's always been thus to an extent too. 

Was watching The Crown with the Mrs yesterday, there was an episode about the London killer smog which offed about 11,000 people in two days. Basically Churchill didn't prepare for it despite being warned, the Tories built the inner city power stations which contributed to it, but he went to visit the hospital and called the press for a photo opp. He came out smelling of roses and Attlee is back at Labour HQ holding his dick. Sounds familiar. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Because most people are doing okay, and as long as they are they don't care about anyone else.

The next round of austerity can’t just attack the poor and vulnerable though as they’ve got fuck all left to take.

It has to start pinching the middle classes,  some of who’s offices/work places will be looking to move overseas with Brexit, or scale down due to ‘economic uncertainty and challenging conditions’.

We are going to have lower living standards, less cultural opportunity, closed services and industry, reduced town centres, restaurants not reopening etc. It’s going to be economically and socially bleak for a long time.

There’s a storm coming and I don’t think the double whammy of Brexit and austerity 2.0 can not significantly impact the day to day lives of all but the well insulated and protected.

I said it before, but the covid response and the reality of Brexit should make the Tories toxic for at least a generation if the message is handled correctly. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The next round of austerity can’t just attack the poor and vulnerable though as they’ve got fuck all left to take.

It has to start pinching the middle classes,  some of who’s offices/work places will be looking to move overseas with Brexit, or scale down due to ‘economic uncertainty and challenging conditions’.

We are going to have lower living standards, less cultural opportunity, closed services and industry, reduced town centres, restaurants not reopening etc. It’s going to be economically and socially bleak for a long time.

There’s a storm coming and I don’t think the double whammy of Brexit and austerity 2.0 can not significantly impact the day to day lives of all but the well insulated and protected.

I said it before, but the covid response and the reality of Brexit should make the Tories toxic for at least a generation if the message is handled correctly. 

The Tories are already maneuvering to save the country from themselves. The idea of bad Tories vs not as bad Tories. Johnson, Patel et al will be booted out once they've soaked up the bad karma and order will be restored by Jeremy Hunt or some such. 

We're entering a two party state, but both parties are the Tories. That's quite impressive to be fair. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The Tories are already maneuvering to save the country from themselves. The idea of bad Tories vs not as bad Tories. Johnson, Patel et al will be booted out once they've soaked up the bad karma and order will be restored by Jeremy Hunt or some such. 

We're entering a two party state, but both parties are the Tories. That's quite impressive to be fair. 

I keep saying it, the job ‘they’ve’ done on us, both here, the US and further afield is quite remarkable.

They have people actively cheering their own demise, astonishing.

Thankfully, I think we’re seeing the back of this rampant disaster politicking and we’ll return to a system where we’re only being screwed and not fucked. Like the welcome return of an abusive ex after the last one tried to murder you.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Brexit is a god-send for them in that sense. As they take more and more away from people they will accept it, as long as it means less immigration. Trust me, watch people accept less and less as long as it means there are less foreigners around.

There isn't going to be a big revolt. Not happening.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Brexit is a god-send for them in that sense. As they take more and more away from people they won't be bothered as long as it means less immigration. Trust me, watch people accept less and less as long as it means there are less foreigners around.

There isn't going to be a big revolt. Not happening.

There won’t be revolt, but they’ll be nationwide discontent, who that favours is a matter for who manages the message better.

2 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

Spoiler alert: It'll be the Tories.

I'm not so sure, I think for once we have the upper hand.

Covid response + Brexit realities should be catastrophic bedfellows that even this deplorable lot can't brush away as they caused both free from any other influences, they own this.

These are unprecedented and would bury most other major global powers.

It's reckless and has cost the lives of 60,000 and counting, you can't shug this shit off.

My glass is half full.

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

There won’t be revolt, but they’ll be nationwide discontent, who that favours is a matter for who manages the message better.

The Tories will ensure the media spin it all against remainers/labour/the left. 

The Mail have had Goves wife that cunt Sarah Vine in her column say this today:

SARAH VINE: Imagine if Priti Patel was a Labour Minister - the reaction to Sir Alex Allan's inquiry into her conduct at the Home Office would be very different. The entire liberal establishment, from The Guardian to Twitter to the BBC, would have ridden out in her defence, shutting down any objections with furious cries of 'racism'. Meanwhile, her accusers would have been dismissed as small-minded bigots, intimidated by the idea of not only a woman, but a woman of colour, the daughter of Ugandan-Indian immigrants, daring to tell them how to do their jobs.

Yet again deflect deflect deflect blame. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The Tories will ensure the media spin it all against remainers/labour/the left. 

The Mail have had Goves wife that cunt Sarah Vine in her column say this today:

SARAH VINE: Imagine if Priti Patel was a Labour Minister - the reaction to Sir Alex Allan's inquiry into her conduct at the Home Office would be very different. The entire liberal establishment, from The Guardian to Twitter to the BBC, would have ridden out in her defence, shutting down any objections with furious cries of 'racism'. Meanwhile, her accusers would have been dismissed as small-minded bigots, intimidated by the idea of not only a woman, but a woman of colour, the daughter of Ugandan-Indian immigrants, daring to tell them how to do their jobs.

Yet again deflect deflect deflect blame. 

It's a fight, but one that can be won.

Just stick on the side of a bus 'Rememeber when these cunts killed yer nan?' Vote Labour.