You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

but you can't decide on the quality of life he wants for himself Gnasher.  He might have wanted a nicer house than he would have got for his 90 grand a year.  He left because he wants more money.  That's it.

I'm not sure it is, there were reports he is in a marginal seat and would have been booted out at the next election anyway.

He can live on that money, but he believes he can do better for him and his family by taking another job.  That's it.  All the opprobrium in the world doesn't change that simple fact.  No need to get up in arms about it.  

Stringers, do you not think that as a politician he should at least keep up the pretence that he's doing the job because he gives a fuck about the public, rather than just one that best suits the financial needs of his family? Especially at a time when his political party is making the poor considerably poorer, because of "austerity". 

I don't really care that much, he's a Tory, so its hardly coming as some great revelation that he's a crass, hateful, selfish, cunt. You'd think Shiny Dave would ensure his gang keep quiet though. He's taken his mask off a bit, no?

Stringers, do you not think that as a politician he should at least keep up the pretence that he's doing the job because he gives a fuck about the public, rather than just one that best suits the financial needs of his family? Especially at a time when his political party is making the poor considerably poorer? 

I don't really care that much, he's a Tory, so its hardly coming as some great revelation that he's a crass, hateful, selfish, cunt. You'd think Shiny Dave would ensure his gang keep quiet though. He's taken his mask off a bit, no?

No-one believes that politicians are in the game because they give a fuck about the public J.  Tories in particular.  He won't give a fuck.  Cameron is probably embarrassed by all the fuss, but he knows the guy is probably a bit shit as well.  

It's the getting rich off taxpayers money that annoys me. Compounded by the complaint that he can't do it anymore

I know that he and his ilk are twats but he could at least have the decency not to rub it in the country's faces

And when your behaviour is getting slated by the Torygraph, then you've probably gone a bit too far

• Upvote 1

It's the getting rich off taxpayers money that annoys me. Compounded by the complaint that he can't do it anymore

I know that he and his ilk are twats but he could at least have the decency not to rub it in the country's faces

And when your behaviour is getting slated by the Torygraph, then you've probably gone a bit too far

because the Torygraph wants to perpetuate the fallacy that politicians are in it for us.  It's bollocks.  The whole political system in this country and in the US is as corrupt as it is in any third world state.  We're just slightly more sophisticated in the way we do it.  At every level.  

And there's also consequences from the shift in attitude. Politicians have always claimed that they serve for the public good and the public have rarely believed them. However if we get to the point where politicians can openly say that it's about the money and the public don't care, then we're open to all sorts of abuse. There is actually a point to the pretence

• Upvote 1

And there's also consequences from the shift in attitude. Politicians have always claimed that they serve for the public good and the public have rarely believed them. However if we get to the point where politicians can openly say that it's about the money and the public don't care, then we're open to all sorts of abuse. There is actually a point to the pretence

That's why there are rules.  The rules are there precisely because it is accepted that these cunts are in it for themselves.  

True, but who makes the rules and votes them through?

To be honest I find the whole thing depressing. You rarely see politicians resigning when they've been caught out and very few ever bother to go on a point of principle anymore. We just accept how shit it is.

The PM over here has spent the last few years eroding as much democracy as he can. A week or so ago he made a speech declaring liberal democracy to have failed and that the country should look towards the Russian and Chinese models of democracy for the future. No real outcry, no one gives a shit. And since he rewrote the constitution and election processes, you can't even get rid of him or change the legislation if you do. So it all gets accepted. Sooner or later, that shit is headed towards the UK

True, but who makes the rules and votes them through?

To be honest I find the whole thing depressing. You rarely see politicians resigning when they've been caught out and very few ever bother to go on a point of principle anymore. We just accept how shit it is.

The PM over here has spent the last few years eroding as much democracy as he can. A week or so ago he made a speech declaring liberal democracy to have failed and that the country should look towards the Russian and Chinese models of democracy for the future. No real outcry, no one gives a shit. And since he rewrote the constitution and election processes, you can't even get rid of him. So it all gets accepted. Sooner or later, that shit is headed towards the UK

We've already got it.  The casual abuse of power, deconstruction of democracy and the ever increasing corruption and corporatism.  All sails serenely through as long as there's another series of Call The Midwife to salve the fevered brow and get us ready for the Monday morning drudge. 

• Upvote 1

He should have just shut up and gone, saying something like he wanted to spend more time with his family.  In the current climate whining about your income makes you a target, especially when you've been part of a government which has overseen the measures this one has.

because the Torygraph wants to perpetuate the fallacy that politicians are in it for us.  It's bollocks.  The whole political system in this country and in the US is as corrupt as it is in any third world state.  We're just slightly more sophisticated in the way we do it.  At every level.

True.

I think that one of the biggest problems now though for politics, and politicians, is how little they control in an era of globalisation and mass communication. And there seems to be an absence of big ideas, generally, people have given up.

Fuck me, so he could find a flat for himself, but if he wanted his family there he couldn't. Therefore the way he WANTED to live couldn't work.

My position is clear and I've said it loads of times, reduce the number of MPs, pay them a decent wage comparable to a senior manager in business so about £150k plus unlimited expenses that are transparent as they are claimed.

There are loads on here that earn more than an MP, if say the low wages are a barrier to decent people applying.

The thing is there is a contradiction. You'll get private enterprise explaining that government can never have decent people on account of it being government; at the same time, government uses the 'good business people' argument to justify high salaries in State run business.

I dont care what they are paid provided there is accountability.

Economics is surely more science than philosophy. If Party X promises low inflation and a high standard of living for all, and the goal reached in 4 yrs - with full transparency, then it makes sense to have a contract which rewards for success, and boots them out for failure.

just to remove any and all ambiguity - you clearly chose not to apologise for it as well, you little shit.

You want me to apologise to someone who negged me, then leapt to conclusions and insulted me?

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

When people can be civil to me, I'll be civil to them.

Not enough for you?

Could I ask why you wouldn't want to be in that amount?

Not sufficiently motivated by money to chase a job that almost certainly includes being a cunt in some way. Not trying to be all "look at me not being materialistic", just genuinely not bothered by it. I enjoy not working very hard, and having plenty of time to spend with friends and family, and doing other stuff that I actually like.

• Upvote 1

Not sufficiently motivated by money to chase a job that almost certainly includes being a cunt in some way. Not trying to be all "look at me not being materialistic", just genuinely not bothered by it. I enjoy not working very hard, and having plenty of time to spend with friends and family, and doing other stuff that I actually like.

I don't think they are mutually exclusive, but fair enough.