You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Mark Simmonds, Tory Minister in the Foreign Office has quit because expenses are impossible to live on. In particular he cannot rent a flat big enough for his 3 children to visit him in Central London and will not commute. He earns 90k a year, gets a rental allowance of 28k plus an extra 7.5k for his children, he hires his wife with 25k of public money and claimed a total of over £170k in expenses last year.

My heart bleeds

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/11/tory-foreign-office-minister-quits-intolerable-expenses-rules

The fucking cheek of this guy. The money he has took from the taxpayer the shit he's claimed and yet he's in a party that pushes people further and further into poverty. Unless you are seriously wealthy you must be fucking insane to vote Tory, absolutely insane.

This guy has had a damn good life for 13 years with a great salary for himself, 25k a year to his wife for part-time work, expenses at 170k a year, adding up to millions over the years. He has also probably made himself a millionaire with 537k profit on a house that he couldn't afford without taxpayer assistance, plus many consultancy fees including a number of years at £50k salary from a medical company.

Now he finds that the gravy train is drying up and he's off - no doubt to a well paid job from the connections he made at our expense. And his parting shot is a complaint that he can't make enough money or afford to be a public servant anymore. I also notice that none of the political obituaries from either the left or right have managed to provide a single thing he has done in 12 years that makes the millions he has cost us worth it. We've got literally nothing in return. Fuck him and all his kind

• Upvote 6

Honest he's had over 500 grand in expenses from the taxpayer. He had the taxpayer pay the interest on a mortgage to a house which he then made half a million profit from. Benefits and expenses to these pricks yet they condemn people for having a tiny house with a spare room. Iain Duncan smith and his fucking mob stated time after time they want rid of this something for nothing culture. Iain Duncan smith is just unbelievable, he has to be ill in the head. I cannot believe this guy is crying poverty, yeah London is fucking expensive I wonder if politicians had a role in that.

The guy isn't honest he's just a massive prick, he boarded the gravy train and now he sees the end he will use his political career to join the corporate gravy train, he's eased the path for. I hope he goes fucking bankrupt ends up in 3 bedroom council house.

• Upvote 1

Haha!!!

I genuinely just burst out laughing at that.

Literally laughable.

Can't do his job unless he lives in Westminster.

Can't afford to have his family with him if he lives in Westminster.

Those are the facts. Sorry if they're not convenient.

The guy is choosing his family over his job. Good luck to him.

• Upvote 1

Strontium Dog. 

A man who revenge negs someone by going back to a post about their dad telling them they have cancer and negs it.

You are an absolute fucking scumbag cunt.

I negged a random post in something called "the drunk thread".

Apparently not scrolling back up through the thread on the offchance you were using this thread to talk about family members getting ill makes me a "fucking scumbag cunt". Go figure.

Just to remove any and all ambiguity: it wasn't intentional.

A man who cannot live on £120k a year, plus expenses, and who has claimed, legitimately, £500k in expenses since 2001, may not be the best person to be in a position of Governmental responsibility right now.

Is it fuck a fact. He doesn't want to live below a certain standard, that's very different. Don't distort the facts Stronts. 

• Upvote 1

I totally disagree. I reckon he could and so could almost all of the population of the UK.

With the 500k profit from the house sale he could even live in a nearby hotel until weekends were spent with family.

Another scumbag politician falling off one gravy train onto another.

How would that work if you have two parties in coalition?

I'm not really clever at these things, but I imagine it would go something like

1. Nationwide petition overwhelmingly asks for a binding referendum which overwhelmingly supports a new constitution which lays out in black and white that elected parties ( including any coalition) are absolutely ACCOUNTABLE for all pre-election policy. Siad policy to have the greater good at its heart including empathetic economic and social policy.

Like I said, I'm a dreamer.