You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Two points

1) David Cameron blatantly lied in PMQ's yesterday by saying the that Royal Mail was making a loss and costing tax payers money. How the fuck can he get away with blatant and unabashed lies?

2) Zero hours contracts are complex. If a care agency is getting their hours from NHS or social services, they are effectively - as a company - on a zero hours contract. How can they pay their staff if the hours suddenly drop?

3) Everyone is a cunt

Looking around these days it feels like everyone has been brain washed. The Labour party is virtually as right wing as the Tory scum, people like Alan Johnson are sat next to Portilo on television couches in blag Ben Sherman shirts laughing and joking, even before his death you got the feeling Tony Benn had kind of given up.

The left in this country now basically consists of Owen Jones and a couple of ex Ford's factory workers called Stan.

Reading an article in the i that reckons nearly a million crimes unrecorded. Incredible scenes. Its almost as if what people are seeing with their eyes, rather than the horseshit spouted by the govt, is true.

What people actually experience is covered in the British Crime Survey (or whatever it's called now), which also shows a fall in crime.

And given the dramatic fall in the murder rate, where do you suppose they're hiding all those missing dead people? You know, since the stats are fake and everything.

He'll be along shortly to tell you what labour did that was much worse. Because that'll make it OK.

Crime fell under Labour. It's falling under this government too. Credit should be given to everyone involved. This is not a party political issue.

What people actually experience is covered in the British Crime Survey (or whatever it's called now), which also shows a fall in crime.

And given the dramatic fall in the murder rate, where do you suppose they're hiding all those missing dead people? You know, since the stats are fake and everything.

You do know the report on under-reporting comes from the HMIC, don't you?

Or are you suggesting they're making things up?

Crime fell under Labour. It's falling under this government too. Credit should be given to everyone involved. This is not a party political issue.

It's only falling under this government because 20% of crimes are not recorded. Which therefore justifies the cuts made to public services like the police.

Duh!

I am more disgusted by Help To Work.

I am disgusted by all of it. To me it is all related.

They can lose the "hard working" tax payer £750 million in one day, plus make millions for their friends and call it a successful privatisation. Successful for whom?

At the same time they can willingly destroy the lives of the poorest in our society, which may cost the tax payer more in the long term, to save paying £72 a week.  

If you are going to rob the country for the benefits of your friends, you need someone to blame when people notice the money is missing.

You do know the report on under-reporting comes from the HMIC, don't you?

Or are you suggesting they're making things up?

No, I can well believe crime is under-reported, but that doesn't mean crime isn't falling, because it's almost certainly been under-reported for decades.

Like I say, I have a hard time believing that the murder rate can fall by as near as dammit 50%, but that other serious crimes are all soaring. It doesn't make any logical sense.

Going by personal and anecdotal opinion, I reckon murder has probably fallen as a result of high profile cases leading to serious crackdows on things like gun and gang violence, especially in cities like Manchester. I imagine town centre violence peaked but has tailed off as people stopped going out as much.

I reckon the crimes which impact most people though, the stolen car, the mugging, the burglary, the brick through the window etc have risen massively simply because of the police's attitude to them.

My family and friends have been the victim of all of the above over the last few years and the attitude tended to be 'here's a crime number for a claim' or you'd get a letter simply saying they'd had a look at your complaint but didn't like the looks of it so weren't going to investigate.

When I was a kid getting something stolen would bring a police car to your home and it would be seen by your neighbours, it seemed a 'big deal', these days you just feel like you're a nuisance.

I'd be amazed if a hell of a lot of people bothered reporting crimes at all to be honest. If someone lifted my wallet in town and I wasn't insured or didn't think there were any cameras around I personally probably wouldn't bother.

Back in the day you might have had a copper on the beat who'd know who all the local shoplifters and shitbags were, but not these days. It's basically a career for university graduates who've had a quarter life crisis after ending up working in a Barclay's call centre.

Labour's proposed zero hours reforms appear to be an anticipation of stuff the government is likely to bring in anyway. Are people going to be fooled? Probably.

The jist of what I got over labours reforms is they are full of shit. 12 months then offered a job but what happens then is they let you go 11 months in. You said you were against banning them and it made me ponder and think maybe banning them is extreme but now I absolutely one hundred percent believe they should banned. Agency work should be used instead and only a small percentage of the work force as a whole should be allowed to be agency work. The thing with agency work is the company has to pay a much higher hourly rate in order to have the flexibility and the agency provides the worker with their rights, this means that when a company has a good employee they will be inclined to take that person on full time when the time comes as it will save them paying the huge premium to the agency. As it is now company's have no responsibility why on earth would they take on anybody full time when they don't need too anymore. They are an abuse in a society that functions like ours. Its going backwards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27239172

Judge halts trial in 'landmark ruling' amid legal aid row

3 hours ago

A judge has halted a fraud trial claiming the government's changes to the way barristers are paid is undermining the legal system.

Barristers had refused to take on the case because their fees for such long and complex trials have been cut by 30%.

Judge Anthony Leonard said there was no realistic prospect of the defendants getting a fair trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27239172

Judge halts trial in 'landmark ruling' amid legal aid row

3 hours ago

A judge has halted a fraud trial claiming the government's changes to the way barristers are paid is undermining the legal system.

Barristers had refused to take on the case because their fees for such long and complex trials have been cut by 30%.

Judge Anthony Leonard said there was no realistic prospect of the defendants getting a fair trial.

The barrister who successfully argued that it be stalled due to insufficient funding.... David Cameron's Brother.

Hahahahaha

Going by personal and anecdotal opinion, I reckon murder has probably fallen as a result of high profile cases leading to serious crackdows on things like gun and gang violence, especially in cities like Manchester. I imagine town centre violence peaked but has tailed off as people stopped going out as much.

I reckon the crimes which impact most people though, the stolen car, the mugging, the burglary, the brick through the window etc have risen massively simply because of the police's attitude to them.

My family and friends have been the victim of all of the above over the last few years and the attitude tended to be 'here's a crime number for a claim' or you'd get a letter simply saying they'd had a look at your complaint but didn't like the looks of it so weren't going to investigate.

When I was a kid getting something stolen would bring a police car to your home and it would be seen by your neighbours, it seemed a 'big deal', these days you just feel like you're a nuisance.

I'd be amazed if a hell of a lot of people bothered reporting crimes at all to be honest. If someone lifted my wallet in town and I wasn't insured or didn't think there were any cameras around I personally probably wouldn't bother.

Back in the day you might have had a copper on the beat who'd know who all the local shoplifters and shitbags were, but not these days. It's basically a career for university graduates who've had a quarter life crisis after ending up working in a Barclay's call centre.

I think these are the crimes that are easiest to report and record and would guess that these numbers are not that far off. You are right that the police attitude to them has changed over the years but my view is that they have become "administrative" crimes rather than "real" crimes in the eyes of the police. The long suffering Mrs Razor suffered a couple of break-ins at work during April - both properly processed, SOCU attended, crime number issued etc. Nothing was taken and no-one got hurt although they caused hundreds of quids worth of damage and it left her with the feeling that the police just aren't interested in these sort of low level crimes. They have an easy admin process to follow and then they move on to the next thing.

She spoke to the bobby who attended and said that she reckoned they knew who was probably responsible and they half heartedly agreed (but wouldn't elaborate - which is just as well as the murder rate in Kirkby would have gone up this year) but it was the whole sausage factory attitude to the process that pissed her off. The second lot were seen running away and described as five little ninjas in black trackies with hoods - clearly kids - but what the fuck were they doing roaming the streets at 1:30 in the morning?  Feral little cunts.

• Upvote 1

Hold on, how are you measuring "living standards dropping" here?

You're right, I am a man who prizes evidence-based opinion, so naturally I'm going to go to the agreed measure for living standards, which is the UN Human Development Index, and what they say is:

Between 1980 and 2012, United Kingdom’s HDI value increased from 0.748 to 0.875, an increase of 17 percent or average annual increase of about 0.5 percent...

I'm not going to try to claim that this is the be-all and end-all of the matter, because as the UN themselves point out, comparing HDI scores between years is problematic; however it doesn't exactly bolster your claim of falling living standards, does it?

As to the discussion of my "utopian innovating society", which must surely be boring everyone else as much as it is me by now, then I'd say that we will all have to start caring much more about labour, because there will be so much less work available to be done.

Or, to put it another way, when we have half of all jobs being done by robots, I think it unlikely that any society could tolerate the resulting unemployment rate of 50%, whereas we have relatively little problem tolerating unemployment of 7%.

It depends on whether you think what the more likely scenario is: 50% of the people not working, or 100% of the people working 50% of the time.

Dog, where is this extreme of 50% of the population not working coming from? I'd be interested to hear what you think the levels of unemployment that this system would be able to keep a lid on are, though? Where are we at in Southern Europe at the moment with unemployment and where are the big swings towards redistribution?

You genuinely don't seem able to, or willing to, consider the fact that technological advances displacing labour has disproportionately benefited the few and as such the many (who even if they do manage to still work in new industries have their wages depressed) are not, as you were trying to make out, morons who buy into the "Luddite Fallacy".

The sharing of economic growth has become utterly broken. Technological advances, population increases and globalistaion have been major factors in this. If fewer people are required for the machinery to work then unfortunately capital is happy to see them die in the gutter. Wealth is concentrating and all the evidence on the matter is that it will continue to do so. The machinery available for redistributing wealth has not been used. There is no reason to think it would start to be used. Your income redistribution figures are as much use as a marzipan dildo here, they are proven to be irrelevant or ineffective in tackling wealth inequality.

You can't imagine 50% unemployment because people would rise up. Maybe so. Maybe you just keep the 50% on pennies and keep the pounds. You'd think that the bottom 50% would rise up if they held less wealth than the top 1% do wouldn't you? But they don't do they? You might want to stretch that imagination a little. Capital isn't sharing the benefits of tech with Labour any time soon and it'll need something more that your apparent lack of imagination to combat the facts.