You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Spending money on big capital projects like roads and schools is generally a good idea irrespective of what everyone else is doing, if you want to stimulate your economy.

Doesn't happen often, but yeah. Agree.

Westminster council to draft 'civic contracts' for benefit recipients | Society | The Guardian

the imposition of full council tax rates on its 9,000 second homeowners

Dare i ask why this hasn't been done already?

And whilst i'm here, do those on Downing street pay a rent or is it a perk of the job, i mean if they're capping housing benefit it may need to be looked into.

Westminster council to draft 'civic contracts' for benefit recipients | Society | The Guardian

Dare i ask why this hasn't been done already?

And whilst i'm here, do those on Downing street pay a rent or is it a perk of the job, i mean if they're capping housing benefit it may need to be looked into.

Heh

Giving priority access to borough's 22,000 social homes to groups such as volunteer police officers, Territorial Army members, nurses and ex-service personnel.

Thought the Tories weren't into state engineering? This is some Robert Heinlein-style shit.

We ought definitely ask why Labour didn't abolish the second home tax discount in 13 years of government.

We did it in Gwynedd a fair few years ago, it's a local council decision. I doubt any government would be brave enough to take on those that can afford second/holiday homes. Local council here would of had a sure seat, the holiday homes wouldn't have brought a vote for them so why not piss them off, and possibly free up more local properties?

"Due to compound interest, the public’s debts are now greater than all the money that exists in the economy. According to Bank of England figures, if the UK public collectively took all the money in our bank accounts and used it to pay down our debts, we would end up with no money at all and still owe £306billion (plus interest) to the banks."

What's Wrong with Banking Today?

"Due to compound interest, the public’s debts are now greater than all the money that exists in the economy. According to Bank of England figures, if the UK public collectively took all the money in our bank accounts and used it to pay down our debts, we would end up with no money at all and still owe £306billion (plus interest) to the banks."

What's Wrong with Banking Today?

Is this all unsecured debt or are there assets against which the debt is secured? The author is unclear on that.

Tories take poll lead after UK veto - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 14, 2011

Britain's Conservatives have overtaken the Labour opposition in an opinion poll for the first time this year, enjoying a bounce from prime minister David Cameron's veto of a new European Union treaty, the latest Reuters/Ipsos MORI poll showed today.

The rise in support for Mr Cameron's Conservatives is all the more remarkable given Britons' increasing pessimism on the economy, with only 12 per cent expecting it to improve in the next year, the lowest figure since the credit crunch began to bite in September 2008.

Support for the Conservatives rose by seven percentage points to 41 per cent, while backing for centre-left Labour slipped two points to 39 per cent.

A YouGov poll for the Sun newspaper also put the Conservatives two points ahead of Labour, while the two largest parties were tied on 38 percent according to a survey by ComRes for the Independent newspaper.

The polls could worry Labour leader Ed Miliband, whose party is defending a parliamentary seat in a by-election in a west London suburban constituency tomorrow.

Mr Cameron insisted today he would “make no apology for standing up for Britain” by deploying the UK’s veto at last week's EU summit.

But Mr Cameron was accused of making a “catastrophic mistake” by Labour leader Ed Miliband, who urged him to re-enter negotiations with the other 26 EU states to try to get a better deal for Britain.

The clash came in the final session of prime minister’s questions in the House of Commons before Christmas, at which Mr Cameron was flanked on the government frontbench by his Liberal Democrat deputy Nick Clegg.

Labour MPs mocked Mr Clegg for exposing coalition rifts over Europe by staying away from the chamber on Monday for the Prime Minister’s statement on the Brussels summit.

Mr Miliband, who welcomed the deputy prime minister back to his seat, said that Mr Cameron had promised the coalition government would operate in a “collegiate” way, and asked: “What’s gone wrong?”

But Mr Cameron retorted: “No one in this House is going to be surprised that Conservatives and Liberal Democrats don’t always agree about Europe...I make no apology for standing up for Britain.”

Mr Miliband told Mr Cameron that negotiations on the implementation of last week’s inter-governmental agreement on a new fiscal compact for the eurozone would continue until March and it was not too late for the UK to rejoin discussions.

“In the cold light of day, with other countries spending the weeks and months ahead trying to see if they can get a better deal for themselves, isn’t the sensible thing to do to re-enter the negotiations and try to get a better deal for Britain?” asked the Labour leader.

Mr Miliband offered his sympathy to Mr Clegg, who was woken in the early hours of last Friday to be told that Mr Cameron had used the veto to block EU treaty changes designed to impose new fiscal disciplines on eurozone states.

“I think our sympathy is with the deputy prime minister,” said the Labour leader. “His partner goes on a

business trip, he is left waiting by the phone and he hears nothing until a rambling phone call at 4am

confessing to a terrible mistake.”

But Mr Cameron said Mr Miliband had failed to make clear whether he would have signed the proposed treaty, taunting him: “This leader of the Labour Party makes weakness and indecision into an art form.”

TSFS.jpg

Britain's Conservatives have overtaken the Labour opposition in an opinion poll for the first time this year, enjoying a bounce from prime minister David Cameron's veto of a new European Union treaty, the latest Reuters/Ipsos MORI poll showed today.

The rise in support for Mr Cameron's Conservatives is all the more remarkable given Britons' increasing pessimism on the economy, with only 12 per cent expecting it to improve in the next year, the lowest figure since the credit crunch began to bite in September 2008.

Support for the Conservatives rose by seven percentage points to 41 per cent, while backing for centre-left Labour slipped two points to 39 per cent.

A YouGov poll for the Sun newspaper also put the Conservatives two points ahead of Labour, while the two largest parties were tied on 38 percent according to a survey by ComRes for the Independent newspaper.

The polls could worry Labour leader Ed Miliband, whose party is defending a parliamentary seat in a by-election in a west London suburban constituency tomorrow.

Mr Cameron insisted today he would “make no apology for standing up for Britain” by deploying the UK’s veto at last week's EU summit.

But Mr Cameron was accused of making a “catastrophic mistake” by Labour leader Ed Miliband, who urged him to re-enter negotiations with the other 26 EU states to try to get a better deal for Britain.

The clash came in the final session of prime minister’s questions in the House of Commons before Christmas, at which Mr Cameron was flanked on the government frontbench by his Liberal Democrat deputy Nick Clegg.

Labour MPs mocked Mr Clegg for exposing coalition rifts over Europe by staying away from the chamber on Monday for the Prime Minister’s statement on the Brussels summit.

Mr Miliband, who welcomed the deputy prime minister back to his seat, said that Mr Cameron had promised the coalition government would operate in a “collegiate” way, and asked: “What’s gone wrong?”

But Mr Cameron retorted: “No one in this House is going to be surprised that Conservatives and Liberal Democrats don’t always agree about Europe...I make no apology for standing up for Britain.”

Mr Miliband told Mr Cameron that negotiations on the implementation of last week’s inter-governmental agreement on a new fiscal compact for the eurozone would continue until March and it was not too late for the UK to rejoin discussions.

“In the cold light of day, with other countries spending the weeks and months ahead trying to see if they can get a better deal for themselves, isn’t the sensible thing to do to re-enter the negotiations and try to get a better deal for Britain?” asked the Labour leader.

Mr Miliband offered his sympathy to Mr Clegg, who was woken in the early hours of last Friday to be told that Mr Cameron had used the veto to block EU treaty changes designed to impose new fiscal disciplines on eurozone states.

“I think our sympathy is with the deputy prime minister,” said the Labour leader. “His partner goes on a

business trip, he is left waiting by the phone and he hears nothing until a rambling phone call at 4am

confessing to a terrible mistake.”

But Mr Cameron said Mr Miliband had failed to make clear whether he would have signed the proposed treaty, taunting him: “This leader of the Labour Party makes weakness and indecision into an art form.”

No vested interest there is there?

I never saw it, you telling me Ed "the beast" Miliband failed to put Cameron to the sword? I'm shocked.

He threw Cameron a gentle lob asking what's gone wrong in his relationship with clegg. Cameron said it wasn't too bad as it's not like they're brothers or anything.

I never saw it, you telling me Ed "the beast" Miliband failed to put Cameron to the sword? I'm shocked.

Indeed. I found it embarrassing. Miliband just tries to come out with quotable lines which just sound over-rehearsed. Rather than actually attempting to spar with the guy, he just tries to shoehorn in his own jokes, which end up sounding shit because they don't quite match up to what Cameron just said.

To an extent whichever Labour leader is going to have to deal with the same 'Yeah but Labour' response that's clearly got mileage in it yet, and that's going to hamper whoever is in charge, but Miliband should have had Cameron on the ropes for cowtowing to his Eurosceptic party members and for the continuing bad news on the economy. Instead he just continuously set himself up for failiure. If I were Cameron I'd be going a bit easier on Miliband as him being in charge of Labour is probably only going to help the Tories in the long-run.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yesterday was a fucking shambles. All laughing at each other's jokes. Probably went and shared a bottle of some overpriced grape juice afterwards. It's like a den of fucking thieves, is Parliament.

That's PMQs, though, isn't it? Nothing's changed, despite the idea that the coalition was going to usher in new politics. It's the same parliament, the same voting system, the same behaviour in PMQs. As much as I want to hold the government solely responsible, Miliband and Labour could be rising above it, but there's Ed Balls in the front row shouting and goading at every opportunity.