You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I dunno, I'd thought about it briefly. I guess it depends on who the leader is. If Clegg is running again, it won't be a very popular choice. If it's somebody else, I don't see any reason why Labour shouldn't consider it.

I made no secret of my desire to see a Labour-Liberal Democrat coalition (when they were both polling about the same, just a week or two before the election), with Brown as PM an Vince Cable as Chancellor. IF that'd happened, it'd all have been so different, in my opinion.

It would have really pushed the Tories into a dark place. Cameron gone, sensible policies with a left and liberal stance... it could have been much better for Liberal Democrats than it has turned out.

Instead, what we have is a pseudo-Tory government, with policies that would make any real democrat or liberal wince, and a group of Etonians running amok with ideologically driven cuts.

Other than a few untouchables, there's no winners here at all, least of all the LDs.

The general public have lost so much faith in politicians that it seems a series of coalitions is the future of UK politics.

Labour needs to be cosying up to the big independents as we speak.

I disagree mate, I said at the time the libs had fucked themselves over and it appears Stronts is now at least starting to admit it.

We are heading for 2 main political parties both trying to appeal to those on the centre and neither being honest about their intentions.

I dunno, I'd thought about it briefly. I guess it depends on who the leader is. If Clegg is running again, it won't be a very popular choice. If it's somebody else, I don't see any reason why Labour shouldn't consider it.

I made no secret of my desire to see a Labour-Liberal Democrat coalition (when they were both polling about the same, just a week or two before the election), with Brown as PM an Vince Cable as Chancellor. IF that'd happened, it'd all have been so different, in my opinion.

It would have really pushed the Tories into a dark place. Cameron gone, sensible policies with a left and liberal stance... it could have been much better for Liberal Democrats than it has turned out.

Instead, what we have is a pseudo-Tory government, with policies that would make any real democrat or liberal wince, and a group of Etonians running amok with ideologically driven cuts.

Other than a few untouchables, there's no winners here at all, least of all the LDs.

I'd have been more happy with a lab/lib coalition at the last election instead of a lab majority believe it or not mate.

I want politicians of conviction and integrity, I'd have to see massive changes to be in favour of it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Oh shut up.

The shallow content of your response speaks volumes. You seem to still be in the delusionary stage. I was hoping you'd have shaken that off by now.

But, no, I won't shut up. What an illiberal thing to say.

The shallow content of your response speaks volumes.

And of course, your repeated passive aggressive digs at me are so much deeper.

You seem to still be in the delusionary stage. I was hoping you'd have shaken that off by now.

No, apparently I'm still under the delusion that rolling back the omnipresent state was a liberal thing to do. Clearly, to be a true democrat and liberal, I should be supporting more authoritarianism rather than less.

But, no, I won't shut up. What an illiberal thing to say.

I meant shut up with the petty jibes, which was obvious, but since when were you interested in the truth.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
And of course, your repeated passive aggressive digs at me are so much deeper.

I was having a conversation with somebody else, and actually being quite supportive of the Lib Dems. Then you chime in and tell me to shut up. In what way are you some sort of victim here?

No, apparently I'm still under the delusion that rolling back the omnipresent state was a liberal thing to do. Clearly, to be a true democrat and liberal, I should be supporting more authoritarianism rather than less.

Now with the hyperbole. Omnipresent state? Fucking hell, you've become a parody of yourself.

The delusion comes in when you consciously blank out the illiberal and anti-democratic things this government is doing. As a democrat and a liberal, I wince at those things. That's not to say everything they've done is illiberal (although, many of the liberal measures they said they'd take haven't actually happened). Then again, despite your lies, it's not like the last government didn't do liberal things either. Didn't stop me from damning them for the illiberal things they did, though.

That's the difference between you and I. I'm willing to praise the good and denounce the bad. You'll praise the good and defend the bad of one government, but ignore the good and denounce the bad of another.

I meant shut up with the petty jibes, which was obvious, but since when were you interested in the truth.

What petty jibe? I was in a conversation with another poster. It quite literally had nothing to do with you at all. It's quite conceited for you to think it had.

As for the truth, well, that's something you're always very liberal with. You consistently tell half-truths (and often much less than half), and at times repeat - like a parrot - complete untruths.

I disagree mate, I said at the time the libs had fucked themselves over and it appears Stronts is now at least starting to admit it.

We are heading for 2 main political parties both trying to appeal to those on the centre and neither being honest about their intentions.

I'd like to agree with that but I'm very sceptical currently but I do agree that a Cleggless Lib Dems could be a proposition again.

I do think its important to have a good relationship with the SNP and perhaps Plaid Cymru considering the depth of hatred of the Tories outside of the south and rural areas.

As we've often discussed its unbelievable that England is generally such a right wing country outside of the inner cities.

I was having a conversation with somebody else, and actually being quite supportive of the Lib Dems. Then you chime in and tell me to shut up. In what way are you some sort of victim here?

You're a complete disgrace. Don't play the innocent. It was an obvious dig at me. You'd have to be a complete moron not to notice it.

That's the difference between you and I. I'm willing to praise the good and denounce the bad. You'll praise the good and defend the bad of one government, but ignore the good and denounce the bad of another.

Absolute nonsense. And the cheek of you in (again) accusing me of being a tribalist. Not only am I extremely magnanimous, I'm also completely open about the extent of my party affiliation. Whereas, who are you and what do you do? Nobody knows. You keep that deliberately murky so you can pretend to be more objective than you are.

As for the truth, well, that's something you're always very liberal with. You consistently tell half-truths (and often much less than half), and at times repeat - like a parrot - complete untruths.

More lies. The truth is something you always get from me. The proof is in the pudding because you make these claims and never back them up.

I'd like to agree with that but I'm very sceptical currently but I do agree that a Cleggless Lib Dems could be a proposition again.

I do think its important to have a good relationship with the SNP and perhaps Plaid Cymru considering the depth of hatred of the Tories outside of the south and rural areas.

As we've often discussed its unbelievable that England is generally such a right wing country outside of the inner cities.

Fair point, I'd add the greens to that too. However, the numbers are nigh on impossible to ever make that work in a general election.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Not only am I extremely magnanimous

The truth is something you always get from me.

No, what you are is an egotistical, self-absorbed cunt who thinks he's much smarter than he actually is. It's funny that you consistently feel the need to tell everybody how objective, factual, magnanimous, truthful, [insert other oft-repeated, untrue, self-attributed virtue here], you are. You're none of those things. I'd wager you've no idea what 'truth' actually means, much less have the intellect or authority to speak it.

The proof is in the pudding because you make these claims and never back them up.

Anybody who has read any of our disagreements will see how many times I pick you up on things, then provide the information. Last time out was your hypocrisy, where I showed you exactly where you'd been a hypocrite. You ignored it. Again. Like always. You're a fucking flake and you do nothing but pay yourself undeserved compliments. I guess it's because nobody else does it for you.

And, just for the record, what I said was a general comment. Still, if the cap fits...

Keep aiming those baseless attacks at me, because we can all see that I'm a vicarious target for the government you detest so much, and every few weeks you need to blow off steam. Go on, let all of that impotent rage out, then you can get back to your proper job of defending that hapless buffoon you (or should I say, the unions) elected as Labour leader.

In the meantime, I will keep defending the truth against the lies and smears. Fairness, freedom and truth are the only things that matter to me.

it is incredibly depressing. To think, these tiffs could all acted out over PM. The descent into the sort of squabble and behaviour that would make 14 year olds blush on recollection. SD does on occasion tell the unalloyed truth - usually though he will obfuscate, slant, load, spin, jaundice etc., but he is to all intents an apparatchik, so we can expect it. It is unclear what NV 'does. Is he in research? A policy adviser? These rows do nothing for his standing on this forum. Now you need intellect and authority to speak the truth, apparently. NV you are chatting bollocks. And that is the truth.

Back to work. Carry on, but play nicely.

While I don't like seeing them rant at each other over and over, I will say though that SD and NV are two of the best posters on the GF and among the main reasons I enjoy these kinds of threads.

I agree with that, but the bickering is painful. Both should be sent to their rooms. And no PS3 either.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
it is incredibly depressing. To think, these tiffs could all acted out over PM. The descent into the sort of squabble and behaviour that would make 14 year olds blush on recollection.

Thanks for joining the debate, stingvest. Terrific. The more people that get embroiled in this, the merrier it's bound to be. Although, couldn't you have taken your own advice and said it via PM? Just here to preach, I assume.

It is unclear what NV 'does. Is he in research? A policy adviser? These rows do nothing for his standing on this forum. Now you need intellect and authority to speak the truth, apparently. NV you are chatting bollocks. And that is the truth.

It's reassuring to know there's somebody else who thinks they can talk in truths. Still, if you say I'm talking bollocks, it must be true. That's how truth works, isn't it; you say something is bollocks, without even pointing out what or countering what I've said, but because you've said it, it becomes true.

Intellect and authority are, in my opinion, required to 'speak truth'. I certainly don't have it. I don't speak 'truths', shit I'm not even sure I understand all the theories on what truth actually is. I'm not sure anybody can claim to speak truths. Other than you and SD, that is. It's truth because you're the one who said it.

As for my standing on this forum, are you under the impression I give two cocks what my standing is on a forum? If you do, you're sadly mistaken. I couldn't give a bollock.

Back to work. Carry on, but play nicely.

It was finished before you decided to stick your nose in. Grateful for the permission to carry on, though.

Could we just back to the debate and let the posters say what they think?

I havent been on the forum long enough to know how SD was pre election but since it his views must have swung massively to the right.

It is a shame that it turns personal from time to time but thats no different to many other threads really.