You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Don't you ever get tired of raising these strawmen, Stu? :whatever:

I get tired of not having any party in the running that doesn't want to privatise health and education. So then I have to either joke about it on here or go on a mad killing spree.

I think the first is healthier. Don't you?

• Downvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I fucking hope the cuts change our way of life.

Stop relying on the government to do everything for you you lazy cunts!

Aren't you a low paid public sector worker?

Just so Stu doesn't feel alone out there in the extremities.

I don't think we should make cuts. I think we should just carry on spending. Lets just get further and further into debt and everything will be fine and fucking dandy!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Just so Stu doesn't feel alone out there in the extremities.

I don't think we should make cuts. I think we should just carry on spending. Lets just get further and further into debt and everything will be fine and fucking dandy!

Not quite how it works, is it. Nobody is saying we shouldn't make any cuts at all, people are debating the way it is going to be done, when it is going and how it is going to effect the economy and the people of the country.

In 6 months, when we've slid back into recession and many, many, many thousands more people are out of work, taking money from the government instead of putting it in and having nothing to spend in the private sector, that's going be fine and dandy.

Let's not pretend here that the Conservative plan of savage cuts isn't an extreme measure.

I fucking hope the cuts change our way of life.

Stop relying on the government to do everything for you you lazy cunts!

Two ways of looking at this - our 5 year old has just been diagnosed with mild autism -we have been getting loads of help from the local council which are all schemes that are facing the axe. If we get help now, then there is every chance he will be able to lead a normal life when he is older, working and paying taxes, rather than claiming benefits. The cuts in the 80s created the benefit culture in many of these places, which we will be paying for with all our taxes for years to come.

I may have got the complete end of the stick.

But hadn't Labour got us out of recession, and slowly but surely on the up? And why do bitches be trippin when this was a global economic recession?

Because it means they can pull any kind of shit and blame Labour. The Tories love cutting - it's better then sex to them.

Aren't you a low paid public sector worker?

I am a modestly paid public sector worker in a self-funding department. Not sure of the relevance though, except insofar as I am acutely qualified to comment on public sector waste.

The problem is the entire culture in the public sector. Because public sector monopolies have a fixed customer base, there's no competition that would drive down prices. There's no need to justify spending to anyone. There's no incentive for any member of staff to do more work than the bare minimum, or for anyone to make efficency savings. And when efficiencies are identified, the first thought isn't "How can we make our service cheaper for the customer?" but "Where else can we spend these savings in our business?"; its money burning a hole in someone's pocket when it should be going back to the people.

Our department isn't as bad as many others, partially because we are a joint public-private sector initiative, but there are still some spectacularly brazen examples of waste. Until very recently managers were taking 1st class rail travel and ordering in expensive sandwiches for meetings - is this really a best use of public money? Don't even get me started on all the cash that was spunked out on pointless consultants. And we have these big TVs dotted around the building, they don't do anything except have a rolling news ticker across the screen, they are for all iintents and purposes functionally useless. And now they're talking about getting more? What? They sent out a survey the other day asking what they should use these TVs for - er, dunderheads, why did you spend tens of thousands on huge LCDs when you had no idea what the fuck to do with them?!

But this is what happens when people are insulated from any risk and when there are no consequences of over-spending - well, consequences only for the taxpayer anyway.

It's out of control and it needs to end here.

I am a modestly paid public sector worker in a self-funding department. Not sure of the relevance though, except insofar as I am acutely qualified to comment on public sector waste.

The problem is the entire culture in the public sector. Because public sector monopolies have a fixed customer base, there's no competition that would drive down prices. There's no need to justify spending to anyone. There's no incentive for any member of staff to do more work than the bare minimum, or for anyone to make efficency savings. And when efficiencies are identified, the first thought isn't "How can we make our service cheaper for the customer?" but "Where else can we spend these savings in our business?"; its money burning a hole in someone's pocket when it should be going back to the people.

Our department isn't as bad as many others, partially because we are a joint public-private sector initiative, but there are still some spectacularly brazen examples of waste. Until very recently managers were taking 1st class rail travel and ordering in expensive sandwiches for meetings - is this really a best use of public money? Don't even get me started on all the cash that was spunked out on pointless consultants. And we have these big TVs dotted around the building, they don't do anything except have a rolling news ticker across the screen, they are for all iintents and purposes functionally useless. And now they're talking about getting more? What? They sent out a survey the other day asking what they should use these TVs for - er, dunderheads, why did you spend tens of thousands on huge LCDs when you had no idea what the fuck to do with them?!

But this is what happens when people are insulated from any risk and when there are no consequences of over-spending - well, consequences only for the taxpayer anyway.

I'm not sure how cuts in the number of TV screens in an office or the cost of sandwiches will change anyone's life so while I agree that sort of waste needs addressing, I dont think its what is really at stake.

On the wider point you make, I've worked in plenty of differnet organsations and SME's would absolutely not tolerate the shit you describe. but dont go thinking that big organisations are massively more efficient than the public sector. There is plenty of pointless bureaucracy, empire building, flawed business case justifications and recycling of savings in large organisations rather than giving the cash back.

Sounds familiar. Sounds a little like the banking policies that brought the global market to it's knees.

I've always worked in the private sector and can play snap for any waste and lack of incentive that you can in the public. I laugh because we've got exactly the same thing with LCDs at the moment.

Public service shouldn't be driven by cost, it should be driven by quality. They shouldn't get given a budget to do a 7/10 and then say they can do it cheaper, they should keep the same budget and look to re-route any saving into doing 10/10. Let the private sector in and you get it done for half price with a quarter of that saving being syphoned up to a very small amount of people and the service dropping to 3/10.

Two ways of looking at this - our 5 year old has just been diagnosed with mild autism -we have been getting loads of help from the local council which are all schemes that are facing the axe. If we get help now, then there is every chance he will be able to lead a normal life when he is older, working and paying taxes, rather than claiming benefits. The cuts in the 80s created the benefit culture in many of these places, which we will be paying for with all our taxes for years to come.

My eldest has Soto's syndrome, we had a vast amount of input from years 4-8. Initial prognosis was grim (from a parent's point of view), both physically and mentally. She'd never be main stream, language would always be basic. never manage unsupported.

She's a dream 15 year old, in main stream doing her GCSE's. Without any one to one support. I know damn well without the intensive input given in those early days she'd of be relatively no better now then she was then, infact the educational psychologist at the time said she'd never regain ground that's already been missed. She's caught up and surpassed some of her peers. I've no doubt she'll be a productive member of society, she wants a degree in primary education. Well worth that initial investment i'd of thought.

My eldest has Soto's syndrome, we had a vast amount of input from years 4-8. Initial prognosis was grim (from a parent's point of view), both physically and mentally. She'd never be main stream, language would always be basic. never manage unsupported.

She's a dream 15 year old, in main stream doing her GCSE's. Without any one to one support. I know damn well without the intensive input given in those early days she'd of be relatively no better now then she was then, infact the educational psychologist at the time said she'd never regain ground that's already been missed. She's caught up and surpassed some of her peers. I've no doubt she'll be a productive member of society, she wants a degree in primary education. Well worth that initial investment i'd of thought.

Post of the Year So Far!!

Good on your girl Melons, I hope she goes far!