You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

To think this fine upstanding citizen cannot get a job on a permanent salaried basis, and has to resort to a zero hours contract, and it's all the fault of the government, of course.

Is that your genuine feeling? If so you're a prick. If not and you're just taking the piss then that's a bit prickish too.

Natural development.

Just allow THE PARTY to form an opinion and then decide it's good enough for you.

Oh no....what if it was one of the things they HAD to vote for...for the good of a cohesive government...to save the country!

Letting your rosette do your thinking can have some real problems. It's a minefield.

Natural development.

Just allow THE PARTY to form an opinion and then decide it's good enough for you.

Oh no....what if it was one of the things they HAD to vote for...for the good of a cohesive government...to save the country!

Letting your rosette do your thinking can have some real problems. It's a minefield.

It's a cunts trick.

• Upvote 1

Natural development.

As a liberal, I have no problem supporting the things a liberal party does because if they're liberals, they will be doing what they believe is expedient to create a liberal society.

The alternative, that they are not a liberal party, is a notion I'm not prepared to tolerate unless it's supported by some pretty strong evidence.

In a similar way, it's not unreasonable for me to have faith that Br*nd*n R*dg*rs will do what he thinks is best for L*verpo*l F****a** Cl**, and the alternative notion - that he is not trying to improve things - can safely be dustbinned.

Besides, we weren't talking about "the party", but an elder stateswoman of said party, who has no need whatsoever to pull any punches if she believes NHS reform is not for the best.

• Upvote 1

As a liberal, I have no problem supporting the things a liberal party does because if they're liberals, they will be doing what they believe is expedient to create a liberal society.

The alternative, that they are not a liberal party, is a notion I'm not prepared to tolerate unless it's supported by some pretty strong evidence.

In a similar way, it's not unreasonable for me to have faith that Br*nd*n R*dg*rs will do what he thinks is best for L*verpo*l F****a** Cl**, and the alternative notion - that he is not trying to improve things - can safely be dustbinned.

Besides, we weren't talking about "the party", but an elder stateswoman of said party, who has no need whatsoever to pull any punches if she believes NHS reform is not for the best.

I thought you had collective responsibility and as a mature party of goverment can't just go throwing punches...which one is it?

The gymnastics you did to justify Cable's Royal Mail antics prove quite clearly the stance comes first and then the evidence is worked around the stance.

Your comparison is risible by the way. On many levels.

Funny report about the them looking to offload the profitable Eurostar operation in a BBC piece glibly entitled the 'great British sell off', with some boffin saying 'we won't know if we've got a good price for the family silver until it's sold, but it won't make any difference to the country's finances. Investors in the middle east and asia are sure to be scrambling to get involved'. Yay.

• Upvote 1

If an objective alien (of course there is such a thing) was beamed down into Westminster five years ago and asked to give an opinion now on whether the LDs were a liberal party, our extra terrestrial chum would struggle to say yes, in any language.  

I thought you had collective responsibility and as a mature party of goverment can't just go throwing punches...which one is it?

I don't know where you get that idea from. I've never been bound by anything of the sort.

The gymnastics you did to justify Cable's Royal Mail antics prove quite clearly the stance comes first and then the evidence is worked around the stance.

I don't recall any gymnastics.

Incidentally, Royal Mail shares are currently trading at 394p, a mere 64p above their initial share price, and rendering most of the criticism of Cable moot.

Your comparison is risible by the way. On many levels.

I'm sure you're going to explain why.

GPs are on mega salaries, are they?

"The number of family doctors earning more than £100,000 a year has quadrupled in less than a decade, according to evidence submitted to the annual NHS pay review.Official documents show that more than 16,000 GPs are being paid six-figure sums, including more than 600 on more than £200,000. Nine years ago, just 4,000 were paid more than £100,000 a year."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nhs/10595090/GPs-pay-Number-of-doctors-earning-100000-has-quadrupled-report-shows.html

The pay deal that Labour gave them was the most inept ever given to the public sector. More money, less work, fewer hours. Now if this was an idealogical statement fair enough, but it wasn't, it was sheer incompetence.

I have no objection to GPs being well paid. I also have no objection to them laughing all the way to the bank on being offered the deal, who wouldn't have taken it? I do object to those involved in making the deal walking away leaving everyone else to pick up the costs, and consequences.

• Upvote 1

"The number of family doctors earning more than £100,000 a year has quadrupled in less than a decade, according to evidence submitted to the annual NHS pay review.Official documents show that more than 16,000 GPs are being paid six-figure sums, including more than 600 on more than £200,000. Nine years ago, just 4,000 were paid more than £100,000 a year."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nhs/10595090/GPs-pay-Number-of-doctors-earning-100000-has-quadrupled-report-shows.html

The pay deal that Labour gave them was the most inept ever given to the public sector. More money, less work, fewer hours. Now if this was an idealogical statement fair enough, but it wasn't, it was sheer incompetence.

I have no objection to GPs being well paid. I also have no objection to them laughing all the way to the bank on being offered the deal, who wouldn't have taken it? I do object to those involved in making the deal walking away leaving everyone else to pick up the costs, and consequences.

Average pay about £70k. I consider that to be well paid but not a 'mega salary' by any stretch.

And that's not taking into consideration what they are actually doing, of course.

• Upvote 1

Average pay about £70k. I consider that to be well paid but not a 'mega salary' by any stretch.

And that's not taking into consideration what they are actually doing, of course.

£70k for 7 years (?) training and to be the first line of defence in recognising/suspecting cancer.

I'd rather pay them a bloody good wedge than have underpaid, undervalued over worked GP's that are exhausted, on the verge of a breakdown and miss things.

But then I'm a cunt like that, I'd rather pay tax and get good quality services.

Fucking weirdo I am.

• Upvote 2

£70k for 7 years (?) training and to be the first line of defence in recognising/suspecting cancer.

I'd rather pay them a bloody good wedge than have underpaid, undervalued over worked GP's that are exhausted, on the verge of a breakdown and miss things.

But then I'm a cunt like that, I'd rather pay tax and get good quality services.

Fucking weirdo I am.

I agree.

Obviously.

SD is the one who doesn't. He thinks GPs are overpaid.

I think if there's one profession that should be highly paid, it's doctors, other public servants too but definitely doctors. I think it's the only profession that doesn't require a work permit to work abroad isn't it? Which says it all - supply and demand baby, you should be down with that surely SD, you Adam Smith lover you.

• Upvote 2

Are you going to explain to me what's "Tory" about complaining that ordinary taxpayers are subsidising mega salaries in the NHS?

Fuckwit.

Even if i agreed that Doctors were overpaid(I obviously dont) we all know that 'reforms' will be all about hammering the lower ranks of Health Workers anyway as Doctors have a very strong Union and even the cunts in Parliament and the City need a Doctor.

I wouldnt mess with the people who examine your Prostate if I were those cunts in charge.

Asking or telling?

No-one begrudges doctors good pay. The facts are that their pay has accelerated at a time when what they do has reduced, increasing costs on the NHS.

I am not sure of your point here, really.

If the costs of running the NHS are increasing, then raise taxes. Don't cut worker's pay.

• Upvote 1

In what are no doubt seen as simpler times, I do remember the governments of the day making specifically that point when required - that general taxes were to rise in order to pay for things like the NHS.  Then again, the populace was more enlightened in terms of the 'good of the country' - certainly people were less selfish and self obsessed - and thus were less likely to write to the Daily Mail and Telegraph and help to create UKIP.  

It seems almost unthinkable now that a political party would have the courage to do this, at least for the working and middle classes. 

• Upvote 1