You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Either a wum or Norman Tebbit.

Having not conversed (or not remembering it) with this odious little Tory before, I decided to go full Sugar Ape. Below is a post of his from the thread on Bankers. So, yes, a WUM it would appear.

Couple of minor points:

1) the banks and the government aren't the same thing, banking salaries are set by supply and demand, not by the government

2) if you dispute the above, remember Labour presided over the banking crisis, not the tories

3) the public purse stands to benefit from bank 'bailouts' (they were never actually bailouts), which is helping to fund things like the raising of the tax free allowance which has made millions of hard working people better off

4) it was Labour's 'make em poor, keep em poor' vote buying policy (aka the 'welfare' state) that created the majority of the public debt

5) regardless of who is in power right now, Labour's mess needs to be cleaned up by cuts, that's something even Labour themselves agree with (infact that's one of an hilariously long list of Tory policies that Labour initially denounced only to change their minds once the realised it worked)

6) we are more or less the fastest growing economy in the developed world

7) employment is at record levels

8) the country is booming

9) I'm moosebreath and I'm here to straighten this place out a bit

Why are you assuming that we all support every single policy of the Labour party?

I'm not, but given the clear anti-tory bias on here I think it's worth pointing out the major contributions that labour made to some of the more negative aspects of modern life in the UK. There's plenty more than just their ludicrous university policy to go yet.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm not, but given the clear anti-tory bias on here I think it's worth pointing out the major contributions that labour made to some of the more negative aspects of modern life in the UK. There's plenty more than just their ludicrous university policy to go yet.

I'm anti-Tory, and for good reason. I'm moderately anti-Labour. Why? They took too many steps towards the Tories. Hope this helps.

crack on then, and when we can be bothered we'll undress your madcappery and divest it of any dignity.  

Is it just me of is moosebrearh throwing numbers around without sources, like he vilified people for doing?

On the going to uni to study a subject which guarantees a career path point, that's billocks too.

I can see the point that is trying to be made, but it is made on a complete fallacy that the importance, scale and logistical needs of an employer/sector will be exactly the same three to four years after somebody starts their degree, which is when a uni student will move from the world of academia into the working world.

You simply can't predict what will happen. Just look at the legal sector.

People who studied law would have had a fairly decent chance of getting a training contract upon completion of their degree and additional post graduate studies. Now, the availability of training contracts has dried up. For numerous reasons. The economic downturn. The increasing ability of non-legal institutions to offer what are technically legal services.

The firm I worked for went from offering 12 training contracts per year, in the Liverpool office, to offering two per year, nationally.

So, the black and white situation painted by moosey isn't entirely reflective of the situation, in reality.

• Upvote 1

So you only count income as income if it doesn't have to be spent on something? Lol wow, that's a new one. You were saying that going into education as a single mother was impossible due to childcare costs, I pointed out that if you go into education as a single mother you get childcare paid for through childcare grants. Simple as that. You can also get tuition fees paid for and maintenance loans and grants plus extras for certain situations, then potential for bursaries, awards and so on. I know people who left low paid full time work to go back to uni and ended up considerably better off as a full time student not working at all than they were before. Plenty of money is available for people of all ages and situations who want to improve their prospects.

You've not said much else here. On the 50% of kids going to uni thing, how has that worked out then? You lot all seem pretty keen to get across how bad things are out there, why is that the case then if labour's children were all supposed to be such well rounded and capable people having each been given a degree for ticking boxes?

Lol, lol, really?

So her income isn't over 20k a year, it's actually the 7k? A single mother is supposed to be able to support her children on 7k? Genius! 

Read this shitforbrains, I graduated this year as a mature student, a single mother of 4 children. It's been a hard slog, I know all about those so called perks you are battering on about I know first hand the financial implications, so don't you even think of coming preaching to me. I can tell you now, it isn't all that. It isn't all rosey, it isn't all sitting there and having money thrown at you, getting a degree for ticking boxes, how dare you make such insinuations.  I know damn well some people can better themselves, I'm evidence of that, however I'm not so self righteous to think that just because i managed it, it means everyone else can. 

Do i agree with 50% of the population having access and graduating from further education? Err yeah too bloody right I do. An education for a salary shouldn't be the sole reason a person gets a degree, it should be about bettering yourself and if the income goes up with that, bonus. More importantly it should be about what can be passed on, that wealth of knowledge shouldn't be restricted to only those that can afford it, nor should it be defined by what it can earn you as an individual but how it can better society.

The issue is paying extortionate fees for the privilege of gaining that knowledge. But if you have the means to finance it, knock yourself out. Going back to basics, the poorer members of society have less options. 

Do i support Labour? No, I don't. I think they're a crock, would I have them over the Tories? Any day of the week. 

Having not conversed (or not remembering it) with this odious little Tory before, I decided to go full Sugar Ape. Below is a post of his from the thread on Bankers. So, yes, a WUM it would appear.

Crikey, so glad i've been away a while. What a muppet. 

• Upvote 3

Lol, lol, really?

So her income isn't over 20k a year, it's actually the 7k? A single mother is supposed to be able to support her children on 7k? Genius!

Read this shitforbrains, I graduated this year as a mature student, a single mother of 4 children. It's been a hard slog, I know all about those so called perks you are battering on about I know first hand the financial implications, so don't you even think of coming preaching to me. I can tell you now, it isn't all that. It isn't all rosey, it isn't all sitting there and having money thrown at you, getting a degree for ticking boxes, how dare you make such insinuations. I know damn well some people can better themselves, I'm evidence of that, however I'm not so self righteous to think that just because i managed it, it means everyone else can.

Do i agree with 50% of the population having access and graduating from further education? Err yeah too bloody right I do. An education for a salary shouldn't be the sole reason a person gets a degree, it should be about bettering yourself and if the income goes up with that, bonus. More importantly it should be about what can be passed on, that wealth of knowledge shouldn't be restricted to only those that can afford it, nor should it be defined by what it can earn you as an individual but how it can better society.

The issue is paying extortionate fees for the privilege of gaining that knowledge. But if you have the means to finance it, knock yourself out. Going back to basics, the poorer members of society have less options.

Do i support Labour? No, I don't. I think they're a crock, would I have them over the Tories? Any day of the week.

Crikey, so glad i've been away a while. What a muppet.

Lol, no, her income is £20k, of which she can spend £12k or what have you on childcare. Plainly, it is still income.

I agree that education can also be about simply bettering yourself, and if you're capable and willing to pay for it, go for it. If you expect other people to pay for so you can have kids and a nice house as well, I think it's perfectly reasonable for the people paying for it to expect a return in the form of a measurably more productive member of society.

If you don't think this is how most people see it, go look for a charity that will pay for you to indulge your self improvement whims for four years, there must be loads of them around no?

• Downvote 2

So

And he said he would "put a stop" to the "extraordinary lengths" to which he said some technology companies went in order to avoid paying tax.

"If you abuse our tax system, you abuse the trust of the British people," he said.

"And my message to those companies is clear. We will put a stop to it. Low taxes, but low taxes that are paid.

So avoid tax at all costs and we will reduce what you have to pay.

16:08 Breaking News

A future Conservative government would introduce pre-paid benefits cards for welfare claimants to ensure they cannot spend their money on alcohol, drugs or gambling, Iain Duncan Smith announces.

Cunts idea that

Also why not reduce the amount of inheritance tax on pensions that the majority will never get near. Wouldn't be to benefit your own and other friends income would it.

Cunts

Lol, no, her income is £20k, of which she can spend £12k or what have you on childcare. Plainly, it is still income.

I agree that education can also be about simply bettering yourself, and if you're capable and willing to pay for it, go for it. If you expect other people to pay for so you can have kids and a nice house as well, I think it's perfectly reasonable for the people paying for it to expect a return in the form of a measurably more productive member of society.

If you don't think this is how most people see it, go look for a charity that will pay for you to indulge your self improvement whims for four years, there must be loads of them around no?

But you agree, it's not a survivable income. Sort of blows your theory out of the water there, doesn't it? 

Why shouldn't education be state funded? Why shouldn't there be finance available for it for those unable to afford it but that clearly have the ability? 

No, there are not loads of charities around to adequately fund further education for all those who can not afford it. 

LOL! Twice? What the hell is going on with this place, no neg on either of those. I hope you're ashamed of yourselves forumites. I've met my neg quota apparently, otherwise i'd have sorted at least one. 

Pre-paid benefits cards are a good idea but will probably just be traded. I prefer the idea of rations. Just a package of food and essential goods like milk, bread, cheese, liver, some beans, butter, a few oranges, soap and toothpaste. No money, no choice, just the essential safety net that the welfare state was meant to provide.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

No, can't think of any...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2055073/Tory-MPs-25-000-junket-Equatorial-Guinea-paid-dictatorial-government.html

Three Conservative MPs enjoyed a £25,000 junket to Equatorial Guinea this summer just weeks before a report concluded human rights violations in the country were 'trivial'.

Nadine Dorries, Steve Baker and Caroline Nokes visit to the country's capital Malabo was supported by the dictatorial government through the Triarius Foundation who support West African and Islamic states.

The £25,000 cost was funded thanks to a grant by the nation's government to the foundation.

Pre-paid benefits cards are a good idea but will probably just be traded. I prefer the idea of rations. Just a package of food and essential goods like milk, bread, cheese, liver, some beans, butter, a few oranges, soap and toothpaste. No money, no choice, just the essential safety net that the welfare state was meant to provide.

Cunt