You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

What about the poor bastards on zero hours contracts, who live fucking miles away from their piss poor jobs, and get precisely fucking zero in travel expenses? Isn't that fucking intolerable? Or is that just a case of "take the job even though leaves you fuck all to live on, or we'll stop your JSA"?

In it together my arse!

And he can't afford to live in London on that and his wages?

That expense allowance is more than I earn.

He can go get fucked the cheeky cunt.

He lives in his constituency...this is hard work. He doesn't want to commute, when in London during the week he wants to live near work and have his kids over. He can't do that on the wages so he's stepping down.

Now some of you may be able to do that, I suggest you stand as an MP and do it.

He lives in his constituency...this is hard work. He doesn't want to commute, when in London during the week he wants to live near work and have his kids over. He can't do that on the wages so he's stepping down.

What if he just had one kid visit at a time? And maybe bought one of those foldable scooters?

• Upvote 1

You mean he won't dip into his own pocket.

If I got a better paid job out of town, I would have to move and use my own wages to support me and my family. I don't have the luxury of the taxpayer being able to support me with living expenses.

Some of the arguments on here are hilarious, I wish I could cross reference your views on a Tory MP dipping into his own pocket with the views on the late Comrade Crow living in a council house.

That argument doesnt even make sense.

Your friend the Tory MP was/is paid by you,me and everybody else in this country while Bob Crow was paid by his Union members and by living in his council house gave money back to the state in rent.

I dont think a MP should be allowed to walk out on the job the choose during the 5 years. You choose to stand as a MP and made a commitment to serve the public knowing full well the minimum salary and you would receive. You should not be able to break that because you do not earn enough. He can say its not the lifestyle he wants for his family but if I was unemployed and said I dont want that job on the gas/oil rigs as ill be away from my family id be told to fuck off and take the job. The man has made a fortune out of his 'public service' by sticking his fingers in the publuc purse for years. Seeing as he didn't see out his term how about clawing some of that money back

I think the main issue isn't that he's done it, it's that he's said it. The whole expenses scandal exposed the fact that we have a generation of MPs who are more concerned with building property portfolios than they are with the concept of public service, public duty, or of making the country a better place. A lot of politicians traditionally, especially Tory ones, probably could have been living the high life on some country estate but chose to get involved in public life because they wanted to help shape the country, no doubt their intentions weren't always selfless, but I doubt many went into politics thinking it'd be a good 'career' in the accepted sense of the term.

It just makes you realise how all 'higher' concepts of genuine, healthy nationalism, public duty and service have been replaced by money. Same with coppers to an extent. I'd rather have a copper who does what he does out of an inbuilt sense of duty and justice rather than because it pays for his lawn furniture.

That's why we don't think twice about selling off British brands and industries to anyone who'll pay, and why politicians and their friends often benefit. It's why G4S had to be bailed out by the army in the Olympics. Some things simply can't be bought. Public service can't be paid for. If it is, it's not worth having.

• Upvote 4

Rico, what has convinced you he can't afford it?

The allowances that enable members of parliament to stay in London while they are away from their families – my family lives in Lincolnshire in my constituency – does not allow me to rent a flat that could accommodate my family. So I very rarely see my family and I have to put family life first and every single parent listening to this will hopefully understand," he told the BBC.

Funny how he couldn't find a home that would be suitable and allow him and his family to live in London. I have found plenty of flats or houses in London/surround for under 2.5k a month.

For probably the 5th time, the fact you could live there has no impact on the fact he felt like he couldn't.

Of course it does. It proves that once the easy money stopped he didnt want to do the job anymore. If he wanted to bitch about loosing the excessive expensive they used to get fine. But he can fuck off complaining when his house allowance is more than 50% of the people in this country earn. Not to mention employing his wife for a good wage even before his yearly salary is included. While we are all told that belt tightening and cuts are needed everyone of the twats in power and plenty of the opposition are raking in money at every opportunity. He is talking shite and wants off the gravy train that he commited to because the easy ride has slowed and he cant take as much out the pie as he wants.

The allowances that enable members of parliament to stay in London while they are away from their families – my family lives in Lincolnshire in my constituency – does not allow me to rent a flat that could accommodate my family. So I very rarely see my family and I have to put family life first and every single parent listening to this will hopefully understand," he told the BBC.

Oh, so just his word then. Cool.

Just that with him flipping his property on our money and being paid by external agencies such as private healthcare firms down the years I'd be a little dubious that it's a matter that he can't afford it; just that it allows him to make less money than another course of action. 

Which is a completely different spin.

Basically, for a long time MPs have been able to supplement their income via expenses in a 'nudge nudge wink wink' fashion. Even when it was exposed there was sort of an element of 'what are people complaining for, isn't this how it works?' type vibes.

This chap has simply thrown his dummy out the pram pure and simple.

As I say, I've no problem with him doing it, it's his life and his job, but I do think it's hugely disrespectful to say what he has when there are millions of people out there losing sleep over how they're going to pay the bills, and people who've had their wages and working conditions battered on his government's watch.

• Upvote 4