You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Surely the line is already privatised, and £1bn back is no bad thing? That will continue after the franchise comes up for renewal.

I was not in favour of the wholesale privatisation of the railways, nor do I think that reprivatizing them in total is the answer.

Not it isnt. It was taken back into state ownership after National Express defaulted on payments.

Whilst I hate the tories and Osborne the fact he's had a sex life and dabbled in class A's shouldn't stop him from being an MP, chancellor or even stop his ambitions of being leader of the tories and PM.

The fact he's a vile fucking politician with no scruples or compassion should.

It really should bar him since most people would lose their jobs if they were be found to be on lemo, its not a drug Id like my political representatives to be permitted to take. I could see half the cabinet were lemo heads many moons ago, can we drum up a frenzy get rid of Osbourne anyway?

How can anyone make a valid point of not returning the country's assets away from a few rich individuals and back into the publics hands? Rail should be first to be renationalised, followed by gas and electricity.

Where's the money coming from? They have to buy it back, not just take it back.

Wonder why the chronic alcoholic Ed Balls wouldnt stop at the scene after bumping his car? A £900 pound fine ey, not bad Id pay that on my excess alone were I to report it at the time of me doing it. The police corporation meeting its remit again. No rule for the rulers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bradford-west-yorkshire-28658217

They wouldnt, its our country. If we want to have a country of our own we just need to cancel the queens leasing agreement with us of its possession. Or just buy it back for 0p once they bankrupt themselves. Most the private companies will go bankrupt if the state takes its support and subsidisation away

They wouldnt, its our country. If we want to have a country of our own we just need to cancel the queens leasing agreement with us of its possession. Or just buy it back for 0p once they bankrupt themselves. Most the private companies will go bankrupt if the state takes its support and subsidisation away

He's out!!!

Anyway, by your logic what's to stop say the US deciding it wants to own BP in America? I think the law is getting in the way of your plans.

Why can't they just be taken back? Take em back and string a few up on a lampost to swing, as a warning to to other thieves who think they can get away with robbing our money

Why can't they just be taken back? Take em back and string a few up on a lampost to swing, as a warning to to other thieves who think they can get away with robbing our money

Law. Say you just take back EDF and NPower, how do you think the French and Germans would react? What about all the people who work for the companies?

He's out!!!

Anyway, by your logic what's to stop say the US deciding it wants to own BP in America? I think the law is getting in the way of your plans.

It wouldnt own BP its just taking over their facilities, the staff would all be offered their old jobs only the parasite capitalists taking the profits out lose.

Check south america a few countries there did it and are rolling in it as a result.

• Downvote 1

Law. Say you just take back EDF and NPower, how do you think the French and Germans would react? What about all the people who work for the companies?

You dont need the company though do you, why would you want to send the profits of the utilities in this country to the French and Germans again?

You dont need the company though do you, why would you want to send the profits of the utilities in this country to the French and Germans again?

Either I'm missing something or you aren't explaining it very well.

Say you nationalise Energy, one day you walk in and seize control of everything. You have 6 massive and a bunch of smaller suppliers. You've got millions of shareholders big and small, foreign and English who've lost billions. Pension funds with massive loss of assets. You've got thousands of contracts that the government is now responsible for and as we buy gas from a very pissed off Europe the good chance they'll stop selling it to us.

What else does 'owning' mean then?

Some under developed countries have done it, but it's illegal and no one outside those countries really cared.

Well BP, EDF and Npower are all former nationalised entities. When you say some under developed countries I think you are referring to the petrobas one, Im pretty sure many people would say no one outside those countries really cared but the point is it can be done, its called national interest, they effectively did the same thing with the banks when the banks went bankrupt.

Either I'm missing something or you aren't explaining it very well.

Say you nationalise Energy, one day you walk in and seize control of everything. You have 6 massive and a bunch of smaller suppliers. You've got millions of shareholders big and small, foreign and English who've lost billions. Pension funds with massive loss of assets. You've got thousands of contracts that the government is now responsible for and as we buy gas from a very pissed off Europe the good chance they'll stop selling it to us.

We buy it elsewhere then. Petrobas would give us a deal, since its in their interest to perpetuate their own model. Nar seriously you think if we nationalised europe would stop selling to us based on what? The profits of the people who used to be in charge?

I'm sure this would have no negative impact on Britain's ability to do business in the world at all.

Privatisation and/or nationalisation should be done on a case by case basis - not for ideological reasons.

I'm sure this would have no negative impact on Britain's ability to do business in the world at all.

Privatisation and/or nationalisation should be done on a case by case basis - not for ideological reasons.

By britain you dont mean britain do you you mean british corporations living off the back of the government subsidies?

Glad you pointed out for us all that privatisation should not be done for idealogical reasons, in which case it shouldnt happen at all since there is little economic reason, not to the people, there are economic reasons for the elite few to have things privatised however. Its very rarely ideological on either side, nationalisation or privatisation either makes sense to the majority of people or makes sense to the minority of elites, there is little ideological that is just a tool to convince more people of a privatisation's validity.

And Im sure companies will be flocking here to capitalise on cheaper energy costs. As if propping up these utilities who make a 5 billion profit off the poorest, sends it offshore takes nothing at all out of our economy and doesnt add to small business costs.

Whose side you on SD? Whose side you really on?

I'm sure this would have no negative impact on Britain's ability to do business in the world at all.Privatisation and/or nationalisation should be done on a case by case basis - not for ideological reasons.

Oh i don't know, a few toffs swinging from lamposts wouldn't discourage many people. Israel make shitloads of money across the world inbetween slaughtering kids in a foreign country.

Nationalisation is for ideological reasons, when it works we all gain, when it fails we all lose. It's the perfect incentive at the end of a stick.

• Downvote 1

What else does 'owning' mean then?

Some under developed countries have done it, but it's illegal and no one outside those countries really cared.

Lots of illegal things happen and then someone powerful makes them legal, or makes the problem go away.

Legal is irrelevant. Morality of the act and the power to do that act is more relevant.

The whole of South America cared Rico. And those underdeveloped countries that followed this sort of action are now on the rise. You see the US comments on the Falklands recently? Yep, from Argentina, who told their creditors to go fuck themselves and didn't crumble into the dust.

Osbournes new idea is we should use the welfare budget to build new railway links. They really don't believe in society. "welfare payments which are not generating either a real economic return and at the same time are trapping people in poverty" I reckon poor pay has a bigger influence on trapping people in poverty.

We need to make money I say we charge 10 pound a ticket to watch george osbourne be shot out of a cannon into a brick wall.