You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

IDS is a dangerous ideologue, incapable of mixing it at the highest level, instead, he lives in the shadows sewing pernicious seeds.

As for the BBC being right wing, historically it is the Tory party who invariably squeal, not the Labour party. If you want to see right wing bias try Fox news

I thought of Iago from Othello when I read that last part of that post. Repped

Anyone who thinks the bbc are a left wing broadcaster needs to get out more. 50,000 marched on their London headquarters yesterday in protest against austerity and it failed to make their news.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/21/protest-march-austerity-london-russell-brand-peoples-assembly

Nice peace on the Queens outfit at Royal Ascot though.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Looks like its failed to make nearly all the news outlets even that article I can't seem to find from the guardian homepage.

Had they started throwing stuff through windows and setting stuff on fire, it would have been front page.

It's a perfect example of the right wanting to control the news and the information put out.

Luckily we don't have Fox News here but give it a while...

If that cunt thinks the bbc (who I've a lot of respect for but still slate) are constantly negative it's because it's a shit policy you fucking idiotic clown of a cunt.

Had they started throwing stuff through windows and setting stuff on fire, it would have been front page.

Spot on.

You can actually blame Labour for the current state of BBC News. It was Blair's government that went after the BBC over David Kelly's death. Once Hutton had delivered his whitewash the BBC governors caved-in and forced Greg Dyke out and the die was cast. What sticks in the throat was that Dyke was actually doing a decent job, and was eventually proven right to have stuck by his journalists.

Homeless figures treble among private rental tenants

By Richard Bilton

BBC Panorama

23 June 2014 Last updated at 09:30

People being made homeless when a private tenancy ends is now the single biggest cause of homelessness in England

The number of people made homeless when a private tenancy ends has trebled in the past five years. It is now the single biggest cause of homelessness in England and most have been thrown out by private landlords.

The room is no more than 15ft square. It is packed with furniture and boxes, most of the floor is covered. There is a double bed down the middle of the room and a smaller children's bed wedged in a corner next to the fridge.

Family pictures jostle for space on the wall alongside cardboard boxes and racks of drying clothes. This is where Carla, Paul and their two children lived for nine months.

"It's a very big embarrassment when you have friends and family come over here," Paul says. "You see… effectively my failure as a dad to my family."

It is a tiny place for four people to eat and sleep, for two children to play. "This is it, it's here or nothing, so we have to take it day by day. Looking any further than that is very daunting," he says.

Paul and Carla are part of a new generation of homeless people - they both work, but they say they cannot afford a home.

Their story is common. They had their own privately rented place in their home town of Milton Keynes, but when the six-month tenancy ended the landlord asked them to leave.

According to government figures, the end of a tenancy has been the most common cause of homelessness every quarter for the last two years. In the final quarter of 2009, 1,060 households in England became homeless after their private tenancies were ended, while the latest figure for the first quarter of 2014 is 3,330.

And once low-income families lose a home, they can quickly get trapped. The waiting list for social housing is enormous, but the cost and insecurity of the private sector is too much.

Living like this has affected their health - Paul and Carla have both been on anti-depressants. But their situation is increasingly common - nationally there are 44,000 people living like this.

'Bit shocked'

In Ashford, Kent, Vicky and her daughter have also had to leave their home. Their tenancy came to an end and the landlord wanted them out.

Vicky has never been behind with the rent or had a complaint against her - she was asked to leave because she is on housing benefit.

Vicky was asked to leave her home because she is on housing benefit

"I was bit shocked," she says. "I kind of thought that if you've treated the property well and you've paid your rent, I couldn't see what the problem would be. I think I deserve better."

Her landlord thinks it makes straightforward economic sense. Fergus Wilson owns 1,000 properties in the South East and decided to evict 200 tenants who were on housing benefit, because he thought they were at greater risk of defaulting.

"We are in business to make money. We are not a charity. If we went to the other extreme of having 100% people on benefits then we would go pop because of the default rate," he says.

"We've had a moral responsibility for a number of years, but it's just reached such a point that we cannot continue."

Vicky found another place to rent, but says it has been a brutal experience. "It just feels so unfair that in this day and age the rug can be pulled out from your feet like this," she says.

Low-income families are being hit by a combination of factors: cuts to welfare payments, rising rents and a shortage of social housing. And some are just falling through the gap.

'Like Victorian times'

Two years ago, Dean Miller was an executive working for a cosmetics company and he and his two children were living in a five-bedroom detached house in Surrey. When I met them, they were sleeping in a camper van.

"It's difficult for us. This is primitive stuff. This is what people did in the Victorian times," he says. "The children having to go to toilet in front of each other - leaning over buckets - it shouldn't happen in this country."

Dean borrowed the camper van from a friend

Every story of homelessness is different, but Dean's started with him falling ill and ended with his home being repossessed.

The family were offered council properties, but Dean and his wife were worried about crime. They could not afford private rented accommodation and in the end, their options ran out.

The camper van is old and borrowed from a friend. They got permission to park it in a church car park. At first they tried to make camping seem like an adventure for the children, but the novelty soon wore off.

So what is the answer? Housing charities say tenants need more security, and the country needs more house-building.

The government says overall homelessness is falling and that nearly £1bn has been set aside to help struggling families.

In the end, the families I met all managed to find tenancies. But the trend is clear: a shortage of homes, and the rising cost of private rented accommodation is leaving a generation of families unsure how long they will hold on to their homes.

'Like Victorian times'

Two years ago, Dean Miller was an executive working for a cosmetics company and he and his two children were living in a five-bedroom detached house in Surrey. When I met them, they were sleeping in a camper van.

"It's difficult for us. This is primitive stuff. This is what people did in the Victorian times," he says. "The children having to go to toilet in front of each other - leaning over buckets - it shouldn't happen in this country."

Whilst I can sympathise with this lad, and I really do feel for his kids, the irony is that two years ago, with his shiny expensive house in Surrey, he probably voted for the shower of cunts we have in charge now. And he was actually offered a council place. So fuck off.

This article sums up the BBC for me.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/culture/2013/06/why-i-cant-stand-clare-balding

"Why I can't stand Claire Balding" Will Self.

Don't really know what he's getting at there. The whole of the media is posh, the Guardian is like the Baird School. I imagine the New Statesman is full of posh cunts too.

That fella in the camper van was offered two different places by the council but chose to stay in the camper van? I know everyone wants to have their perfect home but if you're in a desperate situation then you'd think taking any decent home in your borough would be preferable to remaining homeless, especially if you have a family. Councils need to stop indulging people who keep refusing properties just to get their dream home.  If you want to be choosy about where you want to live then go private and stop messing the council around.

• Upvote 1

The kids were love the camper van. It will be like Scooby Do, they can drive around all day trying to solve mysteries like why the fuck they chose a camper van over a house

'If it wasn't for these pesky kids we could both have gone on the game and bummed our way to financial security'

Don't really know what he's getting at there. The whole of the media is posh, the Guardian is like the Baird School. I imagine the New Statesman is full of posh cunts too.

The guardian is not meant to be an impartial broadcaster financed by the licence fee, not sure i can understand your point.

I think he's making the observation that the BBC output is still very middle england, jolly hockey sticks. There veiw of the working class class is Eastenders where Danny Dyer puts on a kareoke night in the vic and Phil Mitchell punching someone in the face over a dodgy motor. If you are unfortunate to veiw the BBC press reports on their rolling news channel you'll see how middle England the guests are. The coverage of Thatchers death showed you all you need to know about the BBC, they're full of shit.