You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Two pet dogs that faced being put down because their owner couldn’t take them with him when he was forced to move house because of the bedroom tax have been saved.

Keith Fleetwood, of Netherley, had failed to find a new home for his nine-year-old Rottweilers and feared he would have to have them destroyed when he left his three-bedroom home for good.

But after an appeal in the ECHO a good Samaritan came forward and offered to take Ryker and Beauty in.

Mr Fleetwood, 60, and his wife can now move into their new one-bedroom Liverpool Mutual Homes flat in Mossley Hill and the new owners have said he can visit the dogs – which he has had since they were eight weeks old – whenever he likes.

Mr Fleetwood said he was still angry that the government’s controversial cut to housing benefit for ‘under-occupancy’ meant he still had to destroy his flock of 40 racing pigeons.

But he told the ECHO: “I’ve been looking for the right people to take the dogs in and since I was in the ECHO I’ve had about a dozen people call.

“But I wouldn’t let them go to just anyone and I had to sound them all out on the phone to be sure.

“The woman who is taking them is going to have them both so it means they won’t be split up and her friend who came with her is a dog trainer so I’m satisfied with where they’re going.” The dogs have now been taken to their new home in Linacre, near Bootle.

Mr Fleetwood should soon be able to move into his new property which was found after his housing association Riverside got in touch with LMH to help him downsize.

But health and safety rules in the flats meant he could not bring his pets with him.

He said he was angry not only to have to part with the dogs but to have to give up his home of more than 30 years in which he raised his children.

He must quit the property because its two spare rooms mean his housing benefit will be cut by more than £1,000 a year, which he says he cannot afford.

He added: “It’s a heartbreaking decision but what’s done is done. I blame the government for what’s happening to me now and it will take some time to get over it.

“People need to stand up to this government like they used to because these policies are really hitting people hard.”

A spokesman for LMH said: “The accommodation Mr Fleetwood applied for has shared communal facilities so if he wanted to take it he would not have been able to keep his two large dogs and pigeons because of the impact they would have on other tenants.”

Fuck me the dog's will be gutted. Would rather stay in Netherley msyelf.

The fact the Tories are shitting themselves because they haven't been Tory enough and UKIP are at the heels, and Labour - the party which built the welfare state - won't even commit to scrap bedroom tax, tells you all you need to know about the direction we're headed in.

Said it before but the media are the principal enemy now. They're setting the spirit of the age.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The fact the Tories are shitting themselves because they haven't been Tory enough and UKIP are at the heels, and Labour - the party which built the welfare state - won't even commit to scrap bedroom tax, tells you all you need to know about the direction we're headed in.

Said it before but the media are the principal enemy now. They're setting the spirit of the age.

They're all in it together. It'd normally sound like a conspiracy theory or something, but it's clearly happening. Private companies, politicians, and the media are colluding in an attempt to take pretty much everything they want. It's just fucking shit. I hate it. When you've got private healthcare companies throwing money at those in government, and in return the government feed public funds to their private healthcare companies via contracts, it's time to start again.

They're all in it together. It'd normally sound like a conspiracy theory or something, but it's clearly happening. Private companies, politicians, and the media are colluding in an attempt to take pretty much everything they want. It's just fucking shit. I hate it. When you've got private healthcare companies throwing money at those in government, and in return the government feed public funds to their private healthcare companies via contracts, it's time to start again.

Yep. With the media I don't actually think it's that planned, it's just a simple case of the rank and file all being wealthy middle class bellwhiffs. Many have exactly the same outlook on life, politics, people, very often it's the same crowd as those who move in and out of politics. I went to the Labour Party conference last year and the journalists there were all like that, as were the Labour party press people, the University of York clearing brigade who'd been subbed by their parents to do a two year unpaid internship. Go out with a BBC camera crew to a council estate for a feature on Mischief Night and you'll see what I mean - they have their own security guards.

Exactly as it was in the early 80s under Thatcher. Deja vu but much worse as the hard stuff was done by her government.

Exactly as it was in the early 80s under Thatcher. Deja vu but much worse as the hard stuff was done by her government.

The Thatcher comment is a good shout. If you look how her 'legacy' was depicted, and how the royal birth has been covered - it shows you what kind of people you're dealing with now. They're swept along themselves, how can they point you to the truth?

The Thatcher comment is a good shout. If you look how her 'legacy' was depicted, and how the royal birth has been covered - it shows you what kind of people you're dealing with now. They're swept along themselves, how can they point you to the truth?

We used to have people intelligent enough to be sceptical about a lot of the stuff published in the press but now it seems a lot of people swallow it all as the gospel truth.

Very sad.

We used to have people intelligent enough to be sceptical about a lot of the stuff published in the press but now it seems a lot of people swallow it all as the gospel truth.

Very sad.

I think it kind of goes deeper than that. People don't really care much about what's going on. There's a lot of reasons why local newspapers are dying out and the internet is only part of the story, a big part of it is that young people don't read them - they don't read them online either, other than for a few snippets or some sport coverage - the main reason they don't read them is because they feel less connected to where they live and to the people around them than they did in previous years. I firmly believe most people out there don't care what the Tories do to the country, as long as it doesn't impact them.

Anyone else see the articles knocking about in relation to more rights for the police to shut down protest and arrest people. Some weak worded shit like being moved on if you are deemed to be "annoying".

As you apply more free-market fundamentalism and privatise more and more of the public's services and assets it goes hand in hand with having to have a more brutal and firm police wing to crush dissent from those suffering. It's Chicago School 1.01.

I see that Monsanto have bought a division of Blackwater too. So that's not at all end of days stuff.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Clearly we'd all be better off if we followed the example of those nations who have nationalised everything. I'm sure they're wonderful, free places to live.

Yeah, brilliant. If we want to have healthcare provide by the state, we should just fuck off to North Korea, because that's what we all want! Either that or some people just think some things are too important to leave to the greedy private sector.

Clearly we'd all be better off if we followed the example of those nations who have nationalised everything. I'm sure they're wonderful, free places to live.

Why do you always have to take things to extremes? Why is the ONLY alternative to the UK/USA system of economics - a system we have SEEN with our own eyes is destructive, to become some kind of North Korean tractor factory?

Capitalism wasn't always like this, it went along quite nicely for many years until it had all its marbles removed.

I was at a party once with a senior journo from the Economist, and he gave me the patter that 'capitalism isn't ideal but it's the best model we've found', and I said there were alternative models, like the Scandinavian model which balances a free market with social responsibility, or pointed out how the Japanese were motivated to work not by self interest, but my a devotion to the betterment of their society, and he said "yes but that's all coming to an end, they were able to do that because they were homogenous societies, but there's more immigration now'.

This is the kind of nonsense even supposedly educated people use to defend the indefensible. What he basically means is, "a lot of my friends are doing very nicely out of it thank you, if you don't like it it's because you're a communist and you don't understand how things work'.

Like the American right blaming Detroit's decline on 'high taxes'. Rather than admit their model is leading us all to ruin, they'll just come out with increasingly ridiculous alternative reasons for it. How ridiculous they are proves how indefensible their position is.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Is there a definitive list of things which are too important to "leave" to the private sector (whatever that means), maybe I could get a look at that.

I didn't say leave to the private sector, I said leave to the greedy private sector. I would imagine that gives away what it means, doesn't it? Surely we can agree we don't want our governments dictating what clothes should look like or what music should sound like, leave that to private enterprises. Surely we can also agree that sometimes we don't want to leave basics necessities exposed to corporate greediness.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Why do you always have to take things to extremes? Why is the ONLY alternative to the UK/USA system of economics - a system we have SEEN with our own eyes is destructive, to become some kind of North Korean tractor factory?

Capitalism wasn't always like this, it went along quite nicely for many years until it had all its marbles removed.

I was at a party once with a senior journo from the Economist, and he gave me the patter that 'capitalism isn't ideal but it's the best model we've found', and I said there were alternative models, like the Scandinavian model which balances a free market with social responsibility, or pointed out how the Japanese were motivated to work not by self interest, but my a devotion to the betterment of their society, and he said "yes but that's all coming to an end, they were able to do that because they were homogenous societies, but there's more immigration now'.

What did he say after you punched him in the throat?

What did he say after you punched him in the throat?

He has a million pound house and does one story a day, which he said he usually nicks from Bloomberg and gives a slight rewrite. Not to sound bitter, but this is not a meritocracy!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He has a million pound house and does one story a day, which he said he usually nicks from Bloomberg and gives a slight rewrite. Not to sound bitter, but this is not a meritocracy!

Yeah, but what did he say after you punched him in the throat.

Yeah, Iv'e experienced things like that before. Plagiarist wankers. For example, I knew this senior journo from the New Statesman, he has a million-dollar condo and does seven stories a week which, he admitted, he usually pinches from the FT. Sometimes it's hard to feel like it's really the best who get ahead.

I find it quite funny that the capitalists (Americans most certainly) hide behind the word of God. However they don't actually follow much of the word of God and specifically ignore 'Love thy neighbour'.

They just prefer you to do the biggest shit you possibly can in a paper bag, set it on fire, leave it on his doorstep, ring the bell and run away. Whilst hiding behind a bush sniggering at your neighbour trying to get a fresh squashed turd out of the grooves on his trainees.

Yes, because they are they only two possibilities; you fucking clown.

Clown indeed. You're the one who keeps mentioning Blackwater, as if it was some kind of template for all private involvement in public services. Blackwater (as it's no longer known) doesn't even operate in the UK ffs.

If you could stick to real world examples of outsourcing in the UK, we'd all be much better off.