You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Britain moving in 'right direction', says Cameron

David Cameron has used his New Year's message to say the UK is "heading in the right direction".

The prime minister said 2012 was "tough" but people can look forward to 2013 with "realism and optimism".

In the video address released on Sunday, he admitted he had "no quick fixes" to the UK's economic problems.

But he said there has been "real progress" on cutting Britain's financial deficit, welfare reform and improving school standards.

BBC News - Britain moving in 'right direction', says Cameron

:whatever:

Moving in the right direction for him and Tory chums, big businesses and the wealthy. What about the rest of plebs that constitute the vast majority of the population? Seriously this guy is such a fucking idiot. The sooner Cameron and the rest of those toffs in his cabinet are fucked off the better.

BBC News - Britain moving in 'right direction', says Cameron

:whatever:

Moving in the right direction for him and Tory chums, big businesses and the wealthy. What about the rest of plebs that constitute the vast majority of the population? Seriously this guy is such a fucking idiot. The sooner Cameron and the rest of those toffs in his cabinet are fucked off the better.

I agree that he's an idiot but in this case he is just spouting the same old crap that his rich corporation backers tell him too.

Why is anybody surprised,its the Tories after all?

• 2 weeks later...

Meh. Not really telling him anything that a competent tax lawyer or accountant wouldn't. Bit of a cunt's trick of them not to mention that this clip is years old, not that anyone should expect much in the way of fair treatment from that smarmy twat Neill.

Meh. Not really telling him anything that a competent tax lawyer or accountant wouldn't. Bit of a cunt's trick of them not to mention that this clip is years old, not that anyone should expect much in the way of fair treatment from that smarmy twat Neill.

EH!? He's not a "competent tax lawyer or accountant" is he though - he's the fcking chancellor of the exchequer. Are you saying it's okay for George Osbourne to very publically and glibly advocate ways of avoiding your tax responsibilities while still getting your full portion of care from the state? you don't have to attempt some piecemeal defence of any and every perceived attack on the coalition you know!?

(not that it makes any difference whatsoever when he said this - the description of the clip actually mentions they don't know anyway)

Edited by Mr. Beast

not that it makes any difference whatsoever when he said this

Of course it does. He is introduced as plain old George Osborne MP, not even as Shadow Chancellor, so that would make the clip at least 8 years old. Or maybe he should have whipped out his crystal ball, seen that he would be the Chancellor of the Exchequer in the future, and declined to answer the question?

Of course it does. He is introduced as plain old George Osborne MP, not even as Shadow Chancellor, so that would make the clip at least 8 years old. Or maybe he should have whipped out his crystal ball, seen that he would be the Chancellor of the Exchequer in the future, and declined to answer the question?

Why does it matter if he's chancellor or not? He loves a bit of tax-avoidance. That's the point of the clip, not that it needed pointing out when the PMs trust fund comes from avoidance too.

It's hardly a fucking surprise to anyone with a brain that a Bullingdon Club member would promote tax avoidance.

It's like moaning that a clip of someone saying there is no point in reading is irrelevant because he wasn't Minister for Education 8 years ago. He still said, and thought those things.

"Oh but Little George wasn't Chancellor then so his comments don't count becuase he has seen how Labour ran this country to the ground and has changed into a good little man looking to right by the people who make this country what it is today"

Do me a favour.

Tax dodging cunt, just like a true Tory capitilist.

Why does it matter if he's chancellor or not? He loves a bit of tax-avoidance. That's the point of the clip, not that it needed pointing out when the PMs trust fund comes from avoidance too.

It's hardly a fucking surprise to anyone with a brain that a Bullingdon Club member would promote tax avoidance.

It's like moaning that a clip of someone saying there is no point in reading is irrelevant because he wasn't Minister for Education 8 years ago. He still said, and thought those things.

For what it's worth, it's not a tax dodge, it's a benefits dodge.

I suppose your stance on it is going to depend on whether you think people should have to lose all their assets to fund end-of-life care or not.

For what it's worth, it's not a tax dodge, it's a benefits dodge.

I suppose your stance on it is going to depend on whether you think people should have to lose all their assets to fund end-of-life care or not.

No, that would be a debate about changing the benefit law, not about passing your wealth to your children (no doubt avoiding other laws that might tax you) to get around the law.

Are we pretending he isn't talking about the same schemes used to avoid inheritance tax too?

What happened to your harsh stance on unearned income from parents passing things down to kids? I thought you saw unearned income as a highly taxable target?

I do think people should lose some assets to pay for their care. It's a strange stance to say they shouldn't. A family home is enough to pass on to the next generation and can set them up for life.

No, that would be a debate about changing the benefit law, not about passing your wealth to your children (no doubt avoiding other laws that might tax you) to get around the law.

If we're pretending he isn't talking about the same schemes as inheritance tax too, then maybe.

What happened to your harsh stance on unearned income from parents passing things down to kids? I thought you saw unearned income as a highly taxable target?

I do think people should lose some assets to pay for their care. It's a strange stance to say they shouldn't. A family home is enough to pass on to the next generation and can set them up for life.

That's what I mean, and that's what that clip of Osborne is explicitly about. At present the elderly have to sell their homes, if they own them, to fund nursing care. When you have a token amount of assets left, I think £17,000 or something like that, is when the state starts paying for your care.

Osborne is referring in the clip to schemes which let you insulate your house from that, presumably by putting it in trust or something, so that the state pays for your care without you having to sell the house.

I do agree with inheritance tax, I think it is a good tax, but even I would set the bar higher than 17 grand. Interest declared: my girlfriend's demented grandmother went into a home last year and her parents have had to sell her grandparents home, the funds from which went to pay for her £950 a week care (or did, until she died on Boxing Day).

That's what I mean, and that's what that clip of Osborne is explicitly about. At present the elderly have to sell their homes, if they own them, to fund nursing care. When you have a token amount of assets left, I think £17,000 or something like that, is when the state starts paying for your care.

Osborne is referring in the clip to schemes which let you insulate your house from that, presumably by putting it in trust or something, so that the state pays for your care without you having to sell the house.

I do agree with inheritance tax, I think it is a good tax, but even I would set the bar higher than 17 grand. Interest declared: my girlfriend's demented grandmother went into a home last year and her parents have had to sell her grandparents home, the funds from which went to pay for her £950 a week care (or did, until she died on Boxing Day).

Yes, but you're missing the point. Although it's edited, so he may well go on to lucidly describe how he feels the policy should be changed, he's basically just saying "This is the rule for paying your share, go get an IFA and avoid it".

I'd understand if you felt the editing was misrepresenting someone who held staunchly opposite views to those presented but what's the point with Osborne? Your issue was about the age of the clip, as if it mattered for some reason. As if he's somehow a changed man and so the clip was misrepresenting him. Opening with the later points on the policy would have been valid, defending him as a character is a bit pointless really.

Anyone with a brain knows what he and his pal stand for and it's trashing restaurants and trowing shut-up cash at peasants on daddy's tax-avoided trust fund.

Fucking class that Osborne clip, it's beautiful. It just sums up the mindset, and it's not just Tories by any stretch - but what makes it more repugnant when it comes to them is that they make careers out of branding people, they brand people scum or lazy or feckless at any opportunity they get, it's their m.o.

Double standards like this run right through the country. Teachers fiddle their exams, coppers fiddle their stats, MPs fiddle their expenses, people tax dodge, but they're not doing anything wrong, the only people doing anything wrong are the people wearing sportswear and pushing prams, that's how it works.

Yes, but you're missing the point. Although it's edited, so he may well go on to lucidly describe how he feels the policy should be changed, he's basically just saying "This is the rule for paying your share, go get an IFA and avoid it".

I'd understand if you felt the editing was misrepresenting someone who held staunchly opposite views to those presented but what's the point with Osborne? Your issue was about the age of the clip, as if it mattered for some reason. As if he's somehow a changed man and so the clip was misrepresenting him. Opening with the later points on the policy would have been valid, defending him as a character is a bit pointless really.

Anyone with a brain knows what he and his pal stand for and it's trashing restaurants and trowing shut-up cash at peasants on daddy's tax-avoided trust fund.

The government wants to change the system so that oldies only have to contribute a maximum of 35 or 50 thousand or something to their care costs, so it's not like he's being inconsistent in telling people how to avoid these costs, since he's part of a government which is planning to legislate most of them away.

I have no problem with his advice in the clip because I believe it to be fundamentally unfair that people should have to spend 150, 200, 250 grand plus on elderly care costs, money they can only get by selling their home.

The reason I mentioned the age of the clip is because it was being implied that this was something recent. Whatever you think of him, it's misrepresentative to portray it like that.

Fucking class that Osborne clip, it's beautiful. It just sums up the mindset, and it's not just Tories by any stretch - but what makes it more repugnant when it comes to them is that they make careers out of branding people, they brand people scum or lazy or feckless at any opportunity they get, it's their m.o.

Double standards like this run right through the country. Teachers fiddle their exams, coppers fiddle their stats, MPs fiddle their expenses, people tax dodge, but they're not doing anything wrong, the only people doing anything wrong are the people wearing sportswear and pushing prams, that's how it works.

What they would say is that there's a difference between money you earn yourself, and money you take from people who earned it, that's where the attitude comes from.