You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Very Liberal, what are your lot going to do about this Stronts?

Here we go. The original story is, unsurprisingly, a pack of lies.

I wanted to write to reassure you that the current reports in the media about Government plans to snoop on your emails are complete nonsense.

Liberal Democrats have always been, and will continue to be, opposed to a centralised database that allows government to monitor your internet activity at will.

That is not going to happen under these proposals and never will happen in a government that includes me and the Liberal Democrats.

The proposals being considered would simply update the current rules – which allow the police in criminal investigations to find out who was contacted and when – to cover new forms of technology that didn’t even exist when the original laws were made, like Skype.

What this will not do is allow the government, or the police, or any other agencies, to read your emails and Facebook messages (or any other social media for that matter) at will. The content of your communications is currently, and will always be, protected by tough rules that mean a warrant is needed before any interception could take place.

I don't believe for one second the Liberal Democrats would dissolve this government over the issue of e-mail and phone interceptions. I believe they would lie to me rather than baste themselves up and shove the Paxo up their own arses.

Featherstone's word means nothing to me. Nothing at all.

Digital Dave is Watching You

In opposition the liberal Conservatives were hardline in opposing New Labour’s surveillance state. David Cameron gave speeches attacking it:

…stopping the state from exerting too much power over us demands another big change. This Government is running not just a control state, but a surveillance state. In 2007, Privacy International ranked Britain’s privacy protections joint 43rd out of 47 countries surveyed – with the worst record in Europe, and only marginally better than Russia and China. Faced with any problem, any crisis – given any excuse – Labour grasp for more information, pulling more and more people into the clutches of state data capture… And the Government doesn’t want to stop with the basic information. They want the most complex, important, personal information there is… Scare tactics to herd more disempowered citizens into the clutches of officialdom, as people surrender more and more information about their lives, giving the state more and more power over their lives. If we want to stop the state controlling us, we must confront this surveillance state.

Dave’s government is now proposing to allow the security services to monitor every single email, Facebook status update, text and tweet. This is such an about turn, which will ramp up the surveillance state so much, that one wonders if it is deliberately being set out to be defeated. The Coalition Agreement promised “We will end the storage of internet and email records without good reason”, libertarian Tories and the LibDem left will surely form a parliamentary coalition against it which a cynical opposition will surely join. The more Machiavellian-minded might suspect that the purpose of the proposal is for it to be dropped and thereby demonstrate that the government is listening to its backbenchers. Surely when we already have Google already monitoring everything, we hardly need the state to get in the game…

I wonder what SD will say when we are focred to have ID cards? "Oh but there would have been even more ID cards if Labour were in power....."

I think the English riots are behind this. The powers that be are really, really afraid of the internets - be they in Syria, the USA or here.

Was reading the Daily Mail on the shitter before, anyone notice this little gem? It passed me by completely.

Schemes for a ‘mansion tax’ have been torpedoed by Eric Pickles after he effectively deleted a database compiled by council tax spies containing details of millions of homes.

The move means that any levy on properties worth more than £2million would now take years to introduce.

Liberal Democrat ministers have told their Conservative coalition partners that a mansion tax – or an equivalent tax on unearned wealth – must be introduced before they agree to scrap the 50p top rate of income tax.

But it has emerged that the Communities Secretary has scrapped the database of property details that would have been used to calculate who would have to pay.

Officials say it would take three years to conduct a new nationwide survey of property values. A Lib Dem policy paper on the mansion tax explained that the party would use information from the Valuation Office Agency, the Government’s council tax inspectors, to implement the charge.

Inspectors at the VOA had logged details of the number of bedrooms and bathrooms of all 25million homes in England and Wales. Other information included whether homes had swimming pools, conservatories or sea views.

The data, which would be crucial for deciding who should pay a mansion tax, had been entered into a complex database – but Mr Pickles ruled out using it for a council tax revaluation until at least 2015.

More...Locked out: How a buy-to-let boom has transformed the mortgage market for a younger generation of buyers

A revaluation in Wales in 2005 saw four times as many households moving up a band as moving down, and Labour postponed plans for a revaluation in England that same year amid mounting anger over the potential for big tax rises hitting middle-class families whose homes had risen in value over the past 20 years.

Despite this, inspectors carried on logging details of people’s properties, prompting accusations that they were preparing for a revaluation by stealth.

However, the most recent accounts from the VOA show that, following budget cuts, its database has been scrapped as maintaining the U.S. technology would be too costly.

Demand: The Lib Dems have said that a mansion tax must be introduced before they agree to scrap the 50p top rate of income tax (file picture)

Most Tory MPs argue that new property taxes would hit ordinary families and pensioners who have worked hard and paid their share.

It would, they warn, penalise those with large mortgages who are not otherwise capital-rich, as well as pensioners on modest incomes living in long-held family homes and professionals who live in large shared houses in London.

Some Tories fear that the Lib Dems are agitating for a mansion tax safe in the knowledge that the Conservatives will not agree to one – allowing them to paint their coalition partners as ‘friends of the rich’ at a time of austerity.

Tory MP Peter Bone praised Mr Pickles’s decision.

‘This mansion tax would cost goodness know how many millions to get up and running,’ he said. ‘People would suddenly find the houses they live in being valued at some enormous sum, very often having lived there for years and years or perhaps having inherited the property.

‘We know the Liberals don’t like anyone that has been successful but this really would be an unfair tax. It’s good that the Government has got rid of the information that could have been used to calculate it – why should the State be keeping databases like this?’

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I wonder what SD will say...

I think Strontium Dog has demonstrated that he's a tribalist: He's not so much interested in the policies of the parties, but instead interested in supporting his 'team'; His values are secondary to how he supports his 'side'. That's fine, he's a right ol' loyal Lib Dem, but there's little wondering going on when it comes to vocal support of his favoured party.

I think Strontium Dog has demonstrated that he's a tribalist: He's not so much interested in the policies of the parties, but instead interested in supporting his 'team'; His values are secondary to how he supports his 'side'. That's fine, he's a right ol' loyal Lib Dem, but there's little wondering going on when it comes to vocal support of his favoured party.

He hates the public most of all, hates democracy.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He hates the public most of all, hates democracy.

As much as I like disagreeing with you, Den, I don't think anybody who sticks up for the way this government spat in the faces of voters on tuition fees and the NHS can possibly say they support democracy. To pledge no rise in tuition fees, then support the government introducing fees, to support a Tory party in their shake-up of the NHS when they pledged against it, that's not supporting democracy.

Being voted for on the basis of doing one thing, then doing the exact opposite (or lending your votes to make it possible) isn't democratic.

As much as I like disagreeing with you, Den, I don't think anybody who sticks up for the way this government spat in the faces of voters on tuition fees and the NHS can possibly say they support democracy. To pledge no rise in tuition fees, then support the government introducing fees, to support a Tory party in their shake-up of the NHS when they pledged against it, that's not supporting democracy.

Being voted for on the basis of doing one thing, then doing the exact opposite (or lending your votes to make it possible) isn't democratic.

You could argue the same for the Tory party, none of this was in their mandate, to be expected if anyone remembers the last fling with the cunts but not mentioned beforehand, certainly they never mentioned 5 years until they got the queens dick on the shoulder at the palace, they should have said 2 and a half seeing as they only got half a vote and then split it between them as if goverment is to be broken down into bite sized chunks to be carved up between the butchers of the public justice pork sword "I will not cut the NHS" etc.

They are just ramming everything through arent they? They tax the poor then say, " Honest, yeah we are gonna tax the rich in, er 2014, oh no 2015, are whats that I've just deleted the bastard database. Its gonna take until 2015 now, luckatthatyabastard...."

Didn't your manifesto pledge to stop it, not add to it, Stronts?

Yeah, well, to roll it back anyway, which is what the Freedom Bill does. There must be some cognitive dissonance somewhere if we're simultaneously rolling back RIPA and increasing its scope.

Fucking hell, you don't change do you. Still trolling. You're Dennis Tooth with proper sentence construction.

Not that it's any of your business, but yesterday I was prepared to resign from the party if the plans were as they had been described. After the hasty reassurances from Clegg and Featherstone, it's more wait and see, but I can't pretend to be happy.

Of course, you'll probably still be calling me a Lib Dem tribalist when I'm shoving dogshit through Nick Clegg's letterbox.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Fucking hell, you don't change do you. Still trolling.

Well, nice to be consistent, isn't it?

Not that it's any of your business

Strange thing to say, considering I didn't actually ask. Ne'ermind.

but yesterday I was prepared to resign from the party if the plans were as they had been described. After the hasty reassurances from Clegg and Featherstone, it's more wait and see, but I can't pretend to be happy.

Of course, you'll probably still be calling me a Lib Dem tribalist when I'm shoving dogshit through Nick Clegg's letterbox.

I think the old "I'll believe it when I see it" idiom is appropriate for this one.

More seriously, if you do put your values above party loyalty, you surely must struggle with the things I've pointed out. Both liberalism and democracy are issues with this coalition's policies. To justify the... hmn... manipulation of such ideas must take a stretch on the part of people who have both liberal and democratic values in their hearts?

I won't deny that there's a few small wins for the Liberals in this government - although, not as joyous as the Liberal Democrats might attempt to make them sound - but all-in-all, this is incredibly disappointing. I need not list them because you know the problems and ineptitude this government, of which the Lib Dems are a part, has shown over the last 18+ months.

It's so bad that Milliband, who is the political equivalent of drinking a pint of luke-warm water and eating sawdust, has taken the Labour party to a large lead in the polls (10 points in some). It goes to show how people are sick of drinking the piss and eating the shit of this government. Things are worse than they were when this coalition took over. Nobody with any real values can be comfortable with that.

Here we go. The original story is, unsurprisingly, a pack of lies.

Nah. They are going to have a central database, but the LDs have managed to fight for the crucial safeguard that the trusty, reliable and ethically sound police will ensure that it is not abused.

Nick Clegg's response to the plans for Internet monertaring.

Nick Clegg: "There's been a lot of scaremongering, a lot of myths about"

This is the same reponse he gave about the NHS reforms and the tuition fees reforms.

The man is a total ballbag.

In a few months this will be passively picked up by surveillance software and flagged for review which will result in you getting a knock from plod. You'll then spent the next 4 years in the Nick Clegg Institute for Re-education with clamps on your eyelids.

In a few months this will be passively picked up by surveillance software and flagged for review which will result in you getting a knock from plod. You'll then spent the next 4 years in the Nick Clegg Institute for Re-education with clamps on your eyelids.

You could be right mate ,but it will probaly be a community copper as all the real ones are getting getting made redunda:yes:nt.

Heard Cleggy on radio 4 reassuring us that there's no problem, we won't be under surveillance, whilst saying 'look we don't know what's on the agenda yet'. I wouldn't trust his view on beans with a full English never mind anything political. Snake.

Yeah, well, to roll it back anyway, which is what the Freedom Bill does. There must be some cognitive dissonance somewhere if we're simultaneously rolling back RIPA and increasing its scope.

Fucking hell, you don't change do you. Still trolling. You're Dennis Tooth with proper sentence construction.

Not that it's any of your business, but yesterday I was prepared to resign from the party if the plans were as they had been described. After the hasty reassurances from Clegg and Featherstone, it's more wait and see, but I can't pretend to be happy.

Why were you ready to resign over a pack of lies? And why are Lib Dem MPs issuing open letters to the government on the Guradian if it's a pack of lies?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He does like to use the 'unsurprisingly, the whole world is a bunch of thick, lying bastards who are our to get at the clean, superior, trustworthy, 'only doing this mature politics for the good of the nation' Liberal Democrats' line.

Totally inept losers confident they can lock down the internet

03-04-12

A GOVERNMENT that can barely send an email has unveiled somewhat ambitious plans to rule the web with an iron fist.

Bolstered by successfully bungling an imaginary fuel crisis and impressively failing to deliver a hot snack reference, the coalition feels it is ready to exert total control over an enormously complicated and abstract network of lightning-fast electronic information.

Prime minister David Cameron, who still uses an AOL email account, said: "The internet is just a bunch of computers connected with wire, like a slightly more elaborate version of those baked-bean-can-and-string pretend telephones we used to make as kids.

"So spying on pretty much everything that happens on it will be a piece of piss."

Civil rights campaigner Nikki Hollis said: "On the one hand, it's deeply worrying that the government is seeking to create a surveillance culture that encompasses spying on all digital media.

"On the other, that same government would struggle to arrange a children's party if provided with a clown, a bouncy castle, some children and an unlimited supply of jelly.

"So it's hard to say whether we should be worried or mildly amused."

Home Secretary Theresa May said: "I have a total understanding of the internet. I've actually got it on my computer.

"Well, not the actual one in my office, but the shared computer in the meeting room we use to play games at lunchtime."

May further defended the plans by barking the new government slogan 'Paedo 9/11' in response to questions and has commissioned a children’s cartoon where ‘Blinky’ the security eye helps people find lost car keys in a bid to make it less terrifying,

May added: “It’s a well known fact that anybody planning to do something unspeakable, either with a bomb or their own penis, will chat about it at length with lots of other people using their own home computer and phone.

"Paedo 9/11.”

Dennis is currently stood in a room with the walls covered in newspaper clippings of UFO sightings, possible suspects on who killed JFK, theories on the Bermuda triangle, another wall with his name smeared on it with his own shit and he's wearing a tin foil helmet.