You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Not unless Cameron is secretly working for The Telegraph and has been wearing a wire up his arsehole.

Don't be daft, Cameron wouldn't work for the Telegraph.

Also, I agree with you about books, by the way. Not really said anything because I can't be fucked to do the research about literacy etc.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Just so we're clear about this, you're all lambasting Lib Dem MPs for being honest, after spending the last 3 months lambasting them for being dishonest?

To answer your question... no. It would be nice to hear your views though, if you have any of your own on this matter.

Just so we're clear about this, you're all lambasting Lib Dem MPs for being honest, after spending the last 3 months lambasting them for being dishonest?

Nice to see members of this forum being as consistent as usual.

quite the opposite I'm very happy to see the libdems talk openly about their problems with the coalition and speak up when they are uncomfortable with a policy. I think that reflects very well on them. I just wish it was done in a more appropriate way than being caught out in a journalistic sting.

I also recognise you are operating in an environment where it is very difficult to be open about differences as any split is immediately portrayed as the imminent collapse of the government and consequently MP's choose to say nothing, but hey you wanted to be in government so thats one of the problems you've got to solve. Its a dilema and maybe this is an orchestrated attempt to do something about that. I think its brave if it is, particularly the decision to take on Murdoch.

Police may ban future marches to prevent disorder - Telegraph

By Martin Beckford, Heidi Blake and Steven Swinford 7:00AM GMT 15 Dec 2010

The Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, said that outlawing the demonstations was an option for the authorities but conceded it could anger protestors further.

He admitted he was “very worried” about the effect on law and order in town centres and suburbs caused by large numbers of officers being sent to the centre of the capital.

Despite widespread criticism over the policing of the protests, and warnings that the Met’s tactics risk leading to the death of an innocent bystander, Sir Paul said he was proud of the professionalism of the 3,000 officers on duty last week.

It emerged that 182 people, most aged between 17 and 25, have been arrested in four demonstrations against state spending cuts and the planned rise in university tuition fees over the past month, with many of them described as ordinary students who did not set out to take part in riots and had not been in trouble before.

Detective Chief Superintendent Matt Horne said the number arrested could grow considerably as 80 officers study video footage.

Related Articles

Students to 'kettle' Yard

14 Dec 2010

Police pull protester from wheelchair

13 Dec 2010

U-turn on water cannon

14 Dec 2010

Met chief: police response to riot 'embarrassing'

10 Nov 2010

Police 'embarrassed' by student riots

11 Nov 2010

Under pressure Met chief takes six weeks off

15 Dec 2010

Speaking at New Scotland Yard, he said there was a "stark contrast" between the violent scenes in Westminster and homes with crying parents and shocked young people when police arrived.

He added: “I would urge those who turn up for protests to think about the impact this could have on their future careers.”

Asked at the press conference if the Met would consider banning future marches, Sir Paul replied: “That’s one of the options we have got. Banning is a very difficult step to take, these are very balanced judgments.

“We can’t ban a demonstration but we can ban a march, subject to approval by the Home Secretary.”

But he went on: “When you have got people willing to break the law in this way, what is the likelihood of them obeying an order not to march or complying with conditions on a demonstration?

“Sometimes putting that power in could just be inflaming the situation further.”

He said public buildings and monuments in London, such as the Cenotaph, could be boarded up to protect them during future demonstrations, as happened ahead of May Day protests in recent years.

Sir Paul conceded the events are stretching his force’s capabilities, saying: “When you are putting 3,000 people out, not just on one day but a significant number of days, the consequences of that for the rest of the organisation are quite clear.”

He said he is “very worried” about the knock-on effect on securing neighbourhoods and town centres as hundreds of officers are redeployed to Westminster.

Sir Paul said he did not want a "paramilitary model" of policing in Britain but admitted a fresh review is taking place of whether or not water cannon should be used against rioters.

“I do not want to engage in an arms race, a knee jerk reaction to thugs and hooligans who do not know how to behave when they are accompanied by an overwhelming number who want to demonstrate peacefully.

“I am most reluctant to move towards this but at the same time we should keep everything under review.”

Meanwhile Ed Balls, the shadow home secretary, said planned cuts to the Metropolitan Police budget – which will see it lose £330 million over the next four years - were a "reckless and dangerous gamble".

The Met, along with the other 42 police forces, is facing a 15 per cent cut in real terms over the next two years alone.

Its headquarters became the subject of a “human kettle” on Tuesday lunchtime, held by about 30 friends and supporters of Alfie Meadows, who underwent emergency surgery after allegedly being hit by a police truncheon during a recent protest.

Wearing hard helmets and mocked-up bloodied bandages around their heads, they linked arms and held up banners reading “Justice for Alfie”.

The injured student's mother, a lecturer at Roehampton University, joined the protest.

Susan Matthews, 55, said: “I think it's incredibly damaging to a country when the police behave violently because it removes trust.”

His injuries were highlighted by Simon Hardy, of the NUS, who told the House of Lords' joint committee on Human Rights that the Met’s tactics could lead to another death.

He said: "If they want to make the protests more violent, if they want to increase the police repression, it is only a matter of time before they have another Ian Tomlinson or Blair Peach at the demonstrations.

“On December 9 Alfie Meadows thankfully didn't die but someone in his situation could be hit by a policeman's truncheon or knocked over by a horse and could be killed.”

Barclays Bank gags Guardian over leaked memos detailing offshore tax scam, 16 Mar 2009 - Wikileaks

Barclays Bank gags Guardian over leaked memos detailing offshore tax scam, 16 Mar 2009

From Wikileaks

(Redirected from Barclays Bank gags Guardian over leaked memos detailing offshore tax scam, 16 Mar 2009/)

Jump to: navigation, search

Unless otherwise specified the document described here:

* Was first publicly revealed by Wikileaks working with our source.

* At that time was classified, confidential, censored or otherwise withheld from the public.

* Is of political, diplomatic, ethical or historical significance.

* Any questions about this document's veracity are noted.

* The summary is approved by the editorial board.

Follow updates:

Email address:

* RSS feed

* Twitter

Secure talk join our chat.

To sponsor reportage of this document by mainstream journalists submit a targeted donation.

For press inquiries, see our media kit.

If you have similar or updated material ACT NOW.

For an explanation of the page you are looking at please look here.

March 17, 2009

Summary

On Monday 16th March 2009, The Guardian newspaper in the United Kingdom published a series of leaked memos from the banking giant Barclays, together with the article:

Revenue investigates Barclays tax mole claims | Business | guardian.co.uk

The next day, these documents were removed from The Guardian web archive, as a result of a court injunction obtained in the middle of the night:

Barclays gags Guardian over tax | Business | guardian.co.uk

Barclays' lawyers, Freshfields, worked into the early hours to force the Guardian to remove the documents from the website. They argued that the documents were the property of Barclays and could only have been leaked by someone who acquired them wrongfully and in breach of confidentiality agreements.

The Guardian's solicitor, Geraldine Proudler, was woken by the judge at 2am and asked to argue the Guardian's case by telephone. Around 2.31am, Mr Justice Ouseley issued an order for the documents to be removed from the Guardian's website.

The documents are copies of alleged internal memos from within Barclays Bank. They were sent by an anonymous whistleblower to Vince Cable, Liberal-Democrat shadow chancellor. The documents reveal a number of elaborate international tax avoidance schemes by the SCM (Structured Capital Markets) division of Barclays.

According to these documents, Barclays has been systematically assisting clients to avoid huge amounts of tax they should be liable for across multiple jurisdictions.

A commentator to the Financial Times stated:

I was lucky enough to read through the first of the Barclays documents...

I will say it was absolutely breathtaking, extraordinary. The depth of deceit, connivance and deliberate, artificial avoidance stunned me. The intricacy and artificiality of the scheme deeply was absolutely evident, as was the fact that the knew exactly what they were doing and why: to get money from one point in London to another without paying tax, via about 10 offshore companies. Simple, deliberate outcome, clearly stated, with the exact names of who was doing this, and no other purpose.

Until now I have been a supporter of the finance industry - I work with people there regularly and respect many of them, and greatly enjoy the Financial Times and other financial papers. However this has shone a light on something for me, and made me certain that these people belong in jail, and companies like Barclays deserve to be bankrupt. They have robbed everyone of us, every single person who pays tax or who will ever pay tax in this country (and other countries!), through both the bailouts and schemes such as this.

Guest Pistonbroke

Banning demonstrations would be taking a leaf out of the communists book. The huge difference is that if it kicked off big style in the UK the resources are not there to deal with it unless the Tories are planning on bringing the Army in which would take them down the military junta route with Cameron pulling the strings without even being in the forces. Mind you, nothing would surprise me with those bunch of odious cunts.

Banning demonstrations would be taking a leaf out of the communists book. The huge difference is that if it kicked off big style in the UK the resources are not there to deal with it unless the Tories are planning on bringing the Army in which would take them down the military junta route with Cameron pulling the strings without even being in the forces. Mind you, nothing would surprise me with those bunch of odious cunts.

I think demonstrations have been brewing in this country for years. I personally think they pre-date the coalition cuts but that is the straw which broke the camel's back.

We've been getting shafted for years on things like jobs, wages, pensions, petrol costs, house prices etc, that even if people didn't know why they were unhappy - they knew they were. I think it's found other outlets before now, such as binge drinking, but the frustrationd and the problems were always simmering - you could see that with the amount of working class people voting BNP etc.

Anyone heard anyone in the government comment on Barclays tax avoidance yet?

No? I'm sure they will, just give them time. We're all in this together after all, and after attacking "scroungers" so aggressively I'm sure Barclays will get theirs soon enough.

And if they don't I'm sure that Labour will pipe up and aggressively attack Barclays for their deeply immoral practices. Won't they?

No? I'm sure they will, just give them time. We're all in this together after all, and after attacking "scroungers" so aggressively I'm sure Barclays will get theirs soon enough.

And if they don't I'm sure that Labour will pipe up and aggressively attack Barclays for their deeply immoral practices. Won't they?

I must say, this far Ed Milliband has been a huge disappointment. He's as confrontational as Jimmy Osmond.

as long as it doesnt lead to them sacking off their independant contractors:whistle:

I must say, this far Ed Milliband has been a huge disappointment. He's as confrontational as Jimmy Osmond.

There a lot of hopes on him one day punching his way out of this political wet paper bag........with scissors on his hands.

Do not hold your breath.

Makes his brother look like a heavyweight and it's surprised me slightly to have to say it but the other bender of a Milliband would have been better.

Three flavours of the same failed shit, all in servitude to people who the failed ideology serves.

What sort of a fucking idiot would honestly expect change when the person who put Obama in the whitehouse is the same person who pioneered the exploitative mortgages that caused the whole system to collapse?

Penny Pritzker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The game's rigged, people.

Guest Pistonbroke
I think demonstrations have been brewing in this country for years. I personally think they pre-date the coalition cuts but that is the straw which broke the camel's back.

We've been getting shafted for years on things like jobs, wages, pensions, petrol costs, house prices etc, that even if people didn't know why they were unhappy - they knew they were. I think it's found other outlets before now, such as binge drinking, but the frustrationd and the problems were always simmering - you could see that with the amount of working class people voting BNP etc.

True, something is going to give soon. It's the same in Germany, the people get shafted from all directions..have a good whine about it but do nothing. Most are frightened of losing their jobs due to having debt and just toe the line. But eventually even they will get sick of paying money into a system that is corrupt and doesn't work properly. The gap between the rich ( who the governments around the World look after ) and the working class is immense whilst the gap between the working class and the poor is getting closer.