You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bad '90s shirts

RedKnight

A nice bit of a diversion away from all the manager stuff.

Whilst other decades had some nasty shirts, surely it was the '90s that inflicted the worst type of footy shirts on us. Not just by design, but also the material used as well.

Adidas were one of the worst for it, despite doing some classy kits in the '80s, they just went completely off the rails in the '90s with some of ours.

Liverpool-92-Home-USE.jpg

And not forgetting

Liverpool-93-Home-PI.jpg

But aside from shafting some of our kits they also put some of these howlers.

Romania-96-Home-USE.jpg

France-96-HomeUSE.gif

Germany--94-Away.jpg

USA-94-Away-Boys.gif

Away from adidas, some of other fucking foul bastards.

Everton-94-White.gif

Inter-Milan-92-Third.jpg

Tottenham-95-Purple-USE.jpg

Eurgh! Post your own hall of shame contenders, remember the bigger the team, the better it is. We all know Coventry had gash shirts but it was Coventry, what do you expect?

I actually like all of those Adidas efforts in the first post. I also love that Muller Villa shirt, too. The ones I like least are our two, but the first one was the first Liverpool shirt I owned and the 94-95 one reminds me of a really enjoyable season.

Anyway, some other shockers:

Chewsea, 1996

chels-3.jpg

Birmingham, 1992

birmingham-city-novidade-a-venda-camisa-de-futebol-1992-1993-s_11542_1.jpg

Birmingham always have shit kits, but that was extra shit.

I liked the 90's kits as they were different. Now the only real difference is whether Nike, Adidas or Umbro (ect) make it.

I loved our cream kit. That was my first one, with Berger on the back in red. I wish I had got the green and white one when Fowler scored two away at Old Trafford. That was probably my favourite Liverpool away kit of the 90's.

Liverpool's 90s kits were generally pretty awful, so seemed apt for the team at the time. I have all the Liverpool home shirts from 1989 onwards, and the 90s ones are by far the tackiest. Poor material choice and poor fitting. The worst culprit is undoubtedly the one that should have had greater effort put in, the Centenary shirt.

That grey ManU shirt actually doesn't look that bad if you remove the ghastly badge and all the sponsors logos. Same with the grey England 90s effort.

When Adidas reverted back to their 3 shoulder stripes designs, things improved rapidly. Perhaps Nike making inroads into the market forced the other established names to up their game, which is a good thing.

Liverpool's 90s kits were generally pretty awful, so seemed apt for the team at the time. I have all the Liverpool home shirts from 1989 onwards, and the 90s ones are by far the tackiest. Poor material choice and poor fitting. The worst culprit is undoubtedly the one that should have had greater effort put in, the Centenary shirt.

That grey ManU shirt actually doesn't look that bad if you remove the ghastly badge and all the sponsors logos. Same with the grey England 90s effort.

When Adidas reverted back to their 3 shoulder stripes designs, things improved rapidly. Perhaps Nike making inroads into the market forced the other established names to up their game, which is a good thing.

The thing is that we couldn't actually use our orignal colours could we, but the centenary was back before kit designers actually put any effort into special occasions like that. We changed our badge though.