You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Mourinho doesn't get 96 points or more this season will Pellegrini have done better, or not?

If Mourinho got 90 points and won the league would, in the grand scheme of things Mourinho have done a better coaching job then Pelligrini? I don't mean just judging on the trophy, but on the coaching

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barca were also a weaker team, for me. Letting Eto'o go and bringing in the plank was a mental piece of business. also, Iniesta was out most of the season.

Again, having said that; Messi was fucking amazing again and Pedro stepped up to the plate, so Eto'o's goals were shared amongst the other attacking players.

They got 99 points???? 99 points!

Had Real won the league with their 96 points then that would have been a record, but Barca won it with even more. Both Real and Barca beat the record for highest points tally ever. And Barca were weaker??

Had Mourniho not virtually cheated his way past Barca in the CL then they'd haev another European Cup too.

It doesn't matter if he bought those players or not, he was given arguably the best player from each of their respective leagues and Xabi Alonso to boot.

He won nothing, his team where good, but they had to be good they had so much talent in it.

The season before Pellegrini took over (2008/09) Real finished 2nd with 78 points. At the end of 2009/10 Real finished 2nd with 96 points.

That’s a huge improvement and as RiS has said, only a fucking unbelievable season from Barca who managed 99 points stopped them from winning the league.

If Mourinho doesn't get 96 points or more this season will Pellegrini have done better, or not?

If Mourinho got 90 points and won the league would, in the grand scheme of things Mourinho have done a better coaching job then Pelligrini? I don't mean just judging on the trophy, but on the coaching

Well put it this way. Whats more important? Having a trophy in the cabinet or becoming a good pub quiz question 'Who got the most points and never won the league?'

I don't think that type of thing exists in Spain does it? I kind of agree, but if there's a better manager - i.e Mourinho - might as well get him in.

true, but i don't think the "failure" at Madrid was great enough to rule him out of coming to us. I think the second year, had he got it, would have proved whether or not he was up to the job. It wasn't an abject failure.

Weaker team was probably the wrong choice of phrase. They certainly weren't the same team from the previous season as Eto'o was a far better fit than Ibrahimovic.

How did he virtually cheat his way past Barca then? They won the first leg quite comfortably, in the end, then he went there and parked the bus.

It was for Guardiola to find a way of beating them; he didn't.

If Mourinho wins the league it doesnt matter what points he gets even if its less than Pellegrini's.

Its like people who say certain people in other seasons would of won the league with that tally. They never though.

For the record, Mourinho wont win the league this season after last night.

If it were Mourinho who'd had the same season at Real Madrid last season, he'd be laughed at and labelled a failure. Especially since his winning the league with inter wasn't any great shakes due to all the money he had there. He couldn't fail with all that money, apparently.

Yet, when a club spends near enough £200m in one summer and then goes on to win the square root of fuck all (including being knocked out of the Spanish Cup by a third division team) somehow, that manager is lauded and hyped as the fella to push us on. Despite him not winning anything of note in his career.

he may have taken Villareal to a CL semi, but I'd say that was comparable to Hodgson taking Fulham to the EL final.

Ted's owning this thread.

Getting sacked with 96 points is insane.

That may be be Real Failure, but it's insane. It's insufferable ego based on past achievement.

Even after last night they won't grasp that they'd do well to just hang in there and give it a few seasons, get the odd cup win. As good as Barcelona are, someone will beat them in the Champions League and that means Madrid and others get their chance for a great victory.

We've all fumed about Roy, but it's entirely possible the next appointment will be similarly underwhelming. That may mean goodbye to Torres, even Reina, a massive rebuilding job, and patience. Lots and lots of it.

For Pellegrini or whoever.

Pellegrini did do a good job at Real Madrid but like its been posted they were beaten to the title by the results against Barcelona.

I very much doubt Pellegrini had much of a say regards transfers as the President of the club (or whatever title they are called over there) wanted to buy La Liga and have the club playing superb football with it.

Mourinho has taken over and so far after yesterday they too may fail to win the league courtesy of their results to Barcelona and don't forget he added more players to this expensive squad.

Pellegrini not only got Villareal to the semi's of the Champions League (far greater achievement then getting to the final of the Europa League) its the fact that he got Villareal into the tournament in the first place by finishing i think it was second in La Liga which is something Hodgson has not got anywhere near matching.

Well, yeah he would have. If he got less points and won the league - meaning Barca got less points too- it'd probably be an indication the league was stronger than last term.

Personally, I think Barcelona will win it at a canter and probably pass the 100 point mark. and yeah, Mourinho - if they win nothing - would be considered a failure. The only question would be if they stick with him.

The season before Pellegrini took over (2008/09) Real finished 2nd with 78 points. At the end of 2009/10 Real finished 2nd with 96 points.

That’s a huge improvement and as RiS has said, only a fucking unbelievable season from Barca who managed 99 points stopped them from winning the league.

Of course, I get what you mean. But Barca only won the league last year. RM should have got to the Semi's at least in the CL and should have won a domestic trophy.

It's about trophies. I agree with some of the sentiments that he was on a hiding to nothing, but he still failed.

For the money they spent (not what he spent) to come out of it with nothing but the highest points total to never win the league, well it's not good enough.

Pellegrini did do a good job at Real Madrid but like its been posted they were beaten to the title by the results against Barcelona.

I very much doubt Pellegrini had much of a say regards transfers as the President of the club (or whatever title they are called over there) wanted to buy La Liga and have the club playing superb football with it.

Mourinho has taken over and so far after yesterday they too may fail to win the league courtesy of their results to Barcelona and don't forget he added more players to this expensive squad.

Pellegrini not only got Villareal to the semi's of the Champions League (far greater achievement then getting to the final of the Europa League) its the fact that he got Villareal into the tournament in the first place by finishing i think it was second in La Liga which is something Hodgson has not got anywhere near matching.

They finished third. They knocked Everton out the qualifier, remember?

I think it's a perfectlly fair comparison to make. How long had it been since Fulham were anywhere near Europe? They were both unfancied and written off early in the tournemant, yet they defied expectations and went on the latter stages.

Getting sacked with 96 points is insane.

That may be be Real Failure, but it's insane. It's insufferable ego based on past achievement.

Even after last night they won't grasp that they'd do well to just hang in there and give it a few seasons, get the odd cup win. As good as Barcelona are, someone will beat them in the Champions League and that means Madrid and others get their chance for a great victory.

We've all fumed about Roy, but it's entirely possible the next appointment will be similarly underwhelming. That may mean goodbye to Torres, even Reina, a massive rebuilding job, and patience. Lots and lots of it.

For Pellegrini or whoever.

Torres and Reina go there is no re-building job per se because its over.

Anybody who thinks a manager ought to be able to load a team with superstars and take the league from a team like Barcelona ought to look at the result last night. I'm surprised it's even being argued.

They're the best team of this generation. Mourinho's a decent manager, and his team of galacticos got absolutely tonked.

If you want a domestic example, take a look at Mancini at City and the money they've spent. They're still a considerable way behind Chelsea, United or Arsenal in terms of class and consistency and they're playing in one of the most average premiership's of the last five years.

Pellegrini took a brand new team to 96 points, three behind Barcelona who are on another level. I agree they arguably should have done better in the Champions League. But this idea that any manager could slot into that set-up and do that well in the league is laughable. Many people thought the same thing about us under Benitez and that Hodgson would steady the ship. That worked out well, didn't it?

He may have been a 'Real' failure for failing to win a trophy, but by any normal standards that points tally is a hell of an achievement. Second only to a team that lost just a single game that season.

Well, yeah he would have. If he got less points and won the league - meaning Barca got less points too- it'd probably be an indication the league was stronger than last term.

Personally, I think Barcelona will win it at a canter and probably pass the 100 point mark. and yeah, Mourinho - if they win nothing - would be considered a failure. The only question would be if they stick with him.

They should do, but they won't. My objection with what you said was that you transferred the Real idea of failure and used it as an argument against having Pelligrini here. I wouldn't want anyone ruled out of a job with us just because Real deemed them not worthy. they are a bunch of meffs.

They should do, but they won't. My objection with what you said was that you transferred the Real idea of failure and used it as an argument against having Pelligrini here. I wouldn't want anyone ruled out of a job with us just because Real deemed them not worthy. they are a bunch of meffs.

I can't argue with that, yeah.

I still feel he's hyped up, though. Flavour of the month.