You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Engineer" (Pellegrini is a qualified civil engineer)

Get him in he can help get the new stadium built. ;)

Seriously though, I like what I see in that article. He certainly sounds like the kind of manager I would like to see us bring in. I certainly like the cut of his gib.

and you have to let him invent in the last 25 meters

Creative football is hard if you aren't able to combine with others or be comfortable touching the ball. If a coach gets upset the first time a player makes a mistake in the final meters, the player will do things practically, but not make a difference. Making mistakes while trying new things is better than plain football

Comments like this make him sound promising in deed. Many on here complained that the problem with Rafa was that he was to restrictive and didn't allow players to be creative and got on their backs straight away if they made a mistake or didn't conform. We need someone with tactical nous who will also let the players play the bloody game.

What he did at Villa Real was great and that is what we currently need. I would be happy with him as a long term appointment.

If it'd have been Mourinho who'd finished second with that expensively assembled squad last season he'd have been a failure.

But as it was Pellegrini and he's not Hodgson, it's in the success column.

Don't agree. He was competing with a Barcelona team that - even with Real's massive outlay on players - would have been worth considerably more than them, many of whom had been playing together in the academy, or first team, for years. Not to mention that Pellegrini had to gel his team together and so on. Plus, before the spending, he'd inherited a Madrid team that was a shadow of its former self.

I'd struggle to think of a team that has had money thrown at it and won the league in the first year, let alone knocking a team like Barca off its perch. Look at Man City, even with the overall decline in premier league quality they won't get anywhere near the kind of win ratio Pellegrini had at Real (87.5% at home, 62.5% on the road, according to wiki). Not to mention they finished the league 24 points ahead of the third-placed team with a +67 goal difference.

He'd be well worth a go at the job imo.

Guest PurpleNose
People should take into concideration that there's a massive difference in quality between the squad Pellegrini had at Real, and the one he'll inherit here.

Still, I think he would be a good choice

To be honest, I think he'll prefer the control here. He'd rather discover some unknown player in Uruguay, and pay 900k for him, than have some £50m superstars bought for him.

He's a little like Wenger in that regard.

He'd improve our squad a lot, and quite quickly, without spending much money.

To be honest, I think he'll prefer the control here. He'd rather discover some unknown player in Uruguay, and pay 900k for him, than have some £50m superstars bought for him.

I doubt he'd complain if we started to spend £50m on players.

What I most like about him is his flexibility. He doesn't have a regimented formation, he will adapt his approach depending on his players but always plays attacking, passing football.

Guest PurpleNose
I doubt he'd complain if we started to spend £50m on players.

What I most like about him is his flexibility. He doesn't have a regimented formation, he will adapt his approach depending on his players but always plays attacking, passing football.

Well he didn't like the fact he had no say at all at Real Madrid. Said he found it impossible to do his job. I think he just wants to be able to sign the players he wants.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what an attacking manager will do with a midfield of something like - Maxi, Gerrard, Meireles and Cole.

There is no excuse whatsoever for us being 19th.

Well he didn't like the fact he had no say at all at Real Madrid. Said he found it impossible to do his job. I think he just wants to be able to sign the players he wants.I'm really looking forward to seeing what an attacking manager will do with a midfield of something like - Maxi, Gerrard, Meireles and Cole.

My point (badly made) was I'm sure he wouldn't complain if he had that sort of money to spend here.

He'd have us playing some great football and getting good results.

I like Pellegrini, I like Rijkaard, I like a lot of possible managers... but Roy is dead to me.

I agree with that sentiment.

Quite a bit actually, there is no fact in the world that might point out that these two will fail with us.

They are both great managers with class, and most importantly of all........managers that know their shit.

Roy out.

He'd improve our squad a lot, and quite quickly, without spending much money.

Work permits will be issue. he will have to look moreso in europe

Guest PurpleNose
Work permits will be issue. he will have to look moreso in europe

Plenty of Argentinians and Brazilians have Italian passports. Getting players directly from Chile and Uruguay will be more difficult.

Some of his signings were South Americans who had gone to weaker leagues in Europe, and Pellegrini had taken a chance on them stepping up.

Plenty of Argentinians and Brazilians have Italian passports. Getting players directly from Chile and Uruguay will be more difficult.

Some of his signings were South Americans who had gone to weaker leagues in Europe, and Pellegrini had taken a chance on them stepping up.

For the long term though did we ever sign that deal with Genk? In Belgium?

Wasnt the idea to take good south american players, have them play in Belgium then get their visa for here?

Pellegrini was top of my list in the summer (alongside Kenny) so i'd definitely be happy with him. There's no guarantee that he'd do well, especially considering the fact that he hasn't won anything outside of South America.

When I watched Real Madrid last season though they were far better to watch than they had been for years and they also got 96 points (the exceptional players that they signed obviously helped that though). Villareal were good to watch when he was there as well.

Knowing our luck though, he'd come in and nothing would change in terms of style!

Guest PurpleNose
For the long term though did we ever sign that deal with Genk? In Belgium?

Wasnt the idea to take good south american players, have them play in Belgium then get their visa for here?

Not sure, judging by the silence on it, probably not.

# They are the ones who got Pellegrini exclusive on his LFC job interview: 'They liked me but said they wanted an English coach'. about 4 hours ago via web

# The #Pellegrini to Qatar story comes from Chilean paper El Mercurio, who have great contacts with him: El Mercurio.com - El periódico líder de noticias en Chile.... about 4 hours ago via web

# #Pellegrini wants to work 20 days month in Qatar & 10 in Chile, won't start before June 2011. Sounds like he might take time to decide about 4 hours ago via web

# For those who think #Pellegrini in #LFC running: he's in Qatar right now mulling over offer to coach Al-Sadd & then take over national team about 4 hours ago via web

Ben Lyttleton (benlyt) on Twitter

Well he didn't like the fact he had no say at all at Real Madrid. Said he found it impossible to do his job. I think he just wants to be able to sign the players he wants.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what an attacking manager will do with a midfield of something like - Maxi, Gerrard, Meireles and Cole.

At Liverpool we call that wanting "total control".

Plenty of Chileans and Uruguayans have Italian connections too, look at Pellegrini's last name, that Uruguayan who played against us tonight Cavani sounds like another one. Plus Latin Americans who have been playing in La Liga tend to pick up Spanish and therefore EU passports in double quick time, kind of the Spanish equivalent of our Commonwealth.