You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Decent player but I agree with the OP that the hysteria about him has got a bit silly this season.

Feel he is on a similar level to Jamie, but I would start Carra against USA for the reason that both King & Terry are left-sided central defenders & while a lot of 'experts' don't ever seem to take this into account , the readjustment can be quite difficult, hence the dreadful performance in the first half against Mexico & the relative calm brought by Carra's introduction in the second half.

It also explains to an extent why Jamie's form was variable early last season when he was getting shifted from side to side & often played to Skrtel's left , but he was far better when allied with Agger/ Soto who prefer the left CD role in the second half of the season.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ledley is a very good player. Someone earlier mentioned Crouch saying he's the most talented defender he's played with. Thierry Henry said he was the best defender he'd faced in England.

Martin Jol said Ledley was the best central defender he'd seen in his career.

He's a quality player but if he's starting as first choice i don't see how his knee will get through all the games. He'll have to be rested at some point.

Guest PurpleNose

Looks very good in the Premier League. He's strong, quite quick, and decent enough in the air.

At International level he looks shite. Will do so in the Champions League as well. The forwards at this level have much more intelligent movement off the ball, and will make Ledley look a bit silly.

Not overated at all. If he was not injured he would be right up there as the best of his generation. Terry is overated as was Adams. The best defender of his generation in England is Campbell by a mile, had no weakness.

aside from being a bottling big jessie

To be honest anyone who can play in a league as physical as the premier league is now without training has to be a pretty talented player, especially when you consider he has no opportunity to work on his partnership with his fellow defenders away from matches.

anyone else think he is vastly overrated and not get the fuss about him?

sure he is a decent defender, but nowhere near this Franco Baresi like world class player people say he would've been had he stayed fit and no way should he start for England over Carra or go to a world cup when he can barely even train (surely that sort of treatment should be reserved for the likes of Stevie and Rooney) and i dont think he should even be in the Tottenham starting line up when Woodgate is fit.

On top of all that he seems a bit of a cunt as well, just needed something to talk about other than our depressing club

Against Spurs on the first game of last season, Ledley truly impressed me. I would go as far as saying, he was one of the best players we came up against last season. When he is fit, we would love to have a player of his quality here. In my opinion, he is the best England centre back by quite some way. So, to answer your question - no I don't think Ledley is overrated.

Guest PurpleNose

Completely unproven at International or Champions League level. How can he be anywhere near world class?

Titus Bramble looked a reasonable centrehalf in the Premier League last season.

Guest PurpleNose
Thierry Henry says he is one of the best he has ever played against.

Martin Jol says he is one of the most gifted defenders he has ever worked with.

TLW residents somehow know different.

He's exactly the sort of player that would be difficult for Henry to play against, because he can't run past him.

King is perfect for our league. We don't have hoards of clever trequartistas. Our league is all about power and pace. Not intricate passing and movement.

When did Jol say that about him? He'd only actually managed at two small Dutch clubs before Spurs.

He's exactly the sort of player that would be difficult for Henry to play against, because he can't run past him.

King is perfect for our league. We don't have hoards of clever trequartistas. Our league is all about power and pace. Not intricate passing and movement.

When did Jol say that about him? He'd only actually managed at two small Dutch clubs before Spurs.

Look I ain't saying he is like Baresi or anything. But he is clearly a very good defender and people on here calling him shit are just being fools. He is better than Terry and Rio on his day. As far as I see it's Rio and Terry that are more overrated than King is.

Guest PurpleNose
Look I ain't saying he is like Baresi or anything. But he is clearly a very good defender and people on here calling him shit are just being fools. He is better than Terry and Rio on his day. As far as I see it's Rio and Terry that are more overrated than King is.

No argument from me there.

If I gave a fuck about the England team I'd have wanted to see King and Carragher as the partnership for the last 4/5 years.

But I still think as a country we produce some very naive centrebacks, because of the nature of our domestic league.

No argument from me there.

If I gave a fuck about the England team I'd have wanted to see King and Carragher as the partnership for the last 4/5 years.

But I still think as a country we produce some very naive centrebacks, because of the nature of our domestic league.

I can't argue with that point. The whole footballing system in England is naive. Be fast, be strong, don't worry about ball control, technique or other such tricky things.

That, to me, is the major factor in why, no matter how many talented players are in an England squad, you'll never win a World Cup again. At least until the whole attitude to football is changed, which will be a very difficult thing to do, requiring an immense amount of effort from a large number of individuals to relearn how to teach kids to play football in a way that the individual coaches themselves never were.

But until that day comes the tabloids will still blame it on a lack of passion from players within the squad and question whether or not England would have won that Quarter Final had they had the pace of Theo Walcott. And surely Fabio Capello should have taken him because his pace "frightens" opposition players.

Apart from the game against Mexico he's looked good whenever I've seen him play this/last season. You've still got to question the decision to take him to a world cup though, when he quite obviously struggles to play in consecutive games. Shame his career has been held back by injury.

Guest PurpleNose
I can't argue with that point. The whole footballing system in England is naive. Be fast, be strong, don't worry about ball control, technique or other such tricky things.

That, to me, is the major factor in why, no matter how many talented players are in an England squad, you'll never win a World Cup again. At least until the whole attitude to football is changed, which will be a very difficult thing to do, requiring an immense amount of effort from a large number of individuals to relearn how to teach kids to play football in a way that the individual coaches themselves never were.

But until that day comes the tabloids will still blame it on a lack of passion from players within the squad and question whether or not England would have won that Quarter Final had they had the pace of Theo Walcott. And surely Fabio Capello should have taken him because his pace "frightens" opposition players.

The only thing worse than the ethos and organisation of English football is the quality of our football journalism (well and bad aids, but you get my point).

As a nine year old I was playing on a full size pitch. These aren't things Capello can fix.

We've been left behind. Even some of the Eastern European nations, with a fraction of the resources, are playing better football.

There needs to be an enormous shift at all levels of English football, but with the biggest laissez-faire attitude of the football world in the Premier League change is unlikely.

The only thing worse than the ethos and organisation of English football is the quality of our football journalism (well and bad aids, but you get my point).

As a nine year old I was playing on a full size pitch. These aren't things Capello can fix.

We've been left behind. Even some of the Eastern European nations, with a fraction of the resources, are playing better football.

There needs to be an enormous shift at all levels of English football, but with the biggest laissez-faire attitude of the football world in the Premier League change is unlikely.

Precisely. Football in this country is going down the shitter and we are all paying over the odds for the priviledge of watching it happen.