You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ian St John

Red Nick

Good player. Failed manager. Decent on telly in Saint and Greavsie.

Probably comes across as too bitter these days. I suspect the main reason is that the game is now littered with multi-millionaires who only possess a fraction of the talent and application he had. He played at the wrong time to reap all the financial rewards.

Right on the first 2 points G, but I hated him and Greavesie, I watched the programme cos it was about football, but they made me ill, talk about sycophantic! At least Greaves would stick up for Spurs if anyone tried to have a go at them, but 'Saint' would never say anything if someone had a go at us, too worried about his job I expect.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Team selection? no-one was prepared or would have even anticipated maldini scoring in the first few minutes and the 2 goals from crespo were sheer class and textbook striker positioning. I doubt very much that Ian would have predicted that half time result before the game started, and as such things needed to change dramatically at half-time as what the fuck else are you going to do at 3-0 down?

Rafa made those drastic changes as it was a desperate situation and that gamble paid off.

ISJ must be senile to not see that.

• 9 years later...

Looking at that Scotland shirt he gave to Robertson reminded me of the one he gave me as a kid , short sleeves and V neck though, it was great playing footy in it then and wish I still had it. He was one of my heroes as a kid back then , couldn’t give a fuck whether he’s a cunt or not , probably not as it’s like people who go on about say musicians who maybe twats but who gives a fuck , it’s what’s on vinyl that counts and nothing else.

• Upvote 1

Met him for the first time when was sat on the end of my hospital bed after I came round from a coma after Hillsborough. He chatted with my old man for ages. Top bloke. Met him again at Radio City during a European game in about 2003. He was a great guy and offered a lift to anyone who needed a lift through the tunnel to the Wirral. He's also one of our greatest ever players, and was part of the Shankley revolution. Maybe appreciate him rather than slag him off on hearsay.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, TheRedMachine said:

Met him for the first time when was sat on the end of my hospital bed after I came round from a coma after Hillsborough. He chatted with my old man for ages. Top bloke. Met him again at Radio City during a European game in about 2003. He was a great guy and offered a lift to anyone who needed a lift through the tunnel to the Wirral. He's also one of our greatest ever players, and was part of the Shankley revolution. Maybe appreciate him rather than slag him off on hearsay.

I agree with that