You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Delighted for the fella, he bidded his time long enuf... gets a run & bangs in 3. For a free transfer I reckon we done ok, alright der has been games he disappeared, but still his clever passin & movement brings an eliment to the squad dat we dont get wit any other player... Much rather him in d startin 11 than Joe Cole any day of the week...

Maxi was a bad signing who has been largely terrible this season, in the games that he has played, which have been thankfully few since Kenny replaced Budgie.

He should be one of the many players we ship out this summer, because if we want slow wide players who prefer to be central and can't play 442 that well, then we all already have Dirk Kuyt, who is a far better player who scores more goals, creates more goals and works harder, and can also play as a striker and support striker.

That said, he was MOTM yesterday - a great hat-trick, created lots of chances, made space for himself and worked really hard. Really excellent display.

Good game for him, great to see him get the opportunity to bang in a few in his return. Not being harsh, but i'd rather the goals went to Suarez. He worked his socks off yesterday and deserved to get the goals! I think we're onto a winner with Carroll and Suarez, both could easily be 20plus goals a season strikers. That'd be amazing to see.

We should keep him for one more season, as a squad player in my opinion.

We can't get rid of ALL the dross this summer, and he is the best of a bad bunch. As he showed yesterday, he can still be a useful player against lesser opposition and he strikes me as someone who would be happy to be a bit part player too.

The thing is, he's clearly well liked by other members of the squad and has helped Suarez settle in. His legs are pretty close to gone but he's a class player in terms of his technical ability. Whether we keep him must really depend on what he's earning. If his wages mean we can't justify keeping him then we should let him go. He's good, but ultimately a luxury.

• 2 weeks later...
He's earned himself another season as far as I'm concerned. He's been great since Kenny brought him back in. Really thrives on the movement and havoc Suarez creates.

Agree. If we can afford having him on the wages he's supposedly earning he's a very good alternative to have. Maybe struggling a bit against the top sides because of his lack of physical attributes, but his positioning, intelligence and ability to keep/play the ball makes him a perfect alternative when playing the lesser sides.

He's a good player, never really understood the hate. He come in to a Benitez team in crisis with no morale and Rafa was getting more and more defensive. Then he played under the worst manager in English football history who detests attacking players, it was never going to happen for him.

Can we improve on him? For sure, but players like him are exactly what we need for a strong squad.

The critic towards him was well deserved. But the guy deserves credit when he is performing as he does now. Kenny Dalglish gets the best out of him, and he deserves to be here next season in my opinion.

I was one of those who half a year ago was hoping for him to leave in the summer, but he really found his form lately.

Well done Maxi.

I've always liked him. Puts in a shift, retains possession, and an impressive goals per game ratio for a wide man, considering he's been in and out of the team. Intelligent player too. I like him - more importantly, I'm sure Dalglish likes him, as he sees a little bit of himself in him.