You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My opinion of him has been a bit topsy-turvy over the last few months, pretty reminiscent of his form I suppose. I thought he finished last season very strongly and would be a real asset to the team this year but overall he's been really poor.

What is crystal clear for me is that he's a player who needs to be in a team that's playing well. That might sound obvious but there are lots of players who can still stand out and put in good performances when the team is struggling but he seemingly can't do that. When the team is playing good football and looking cohesive then he usually looks very good; like yesterday.

He strikes me as almost a 'homer'. Not a lazy cunt like Robinho away from home and puts the effort in at home but he looks very good in a side playing well but disappears in a side playing poorly.

This isn't due to a lack of effort it's just the type of player he is and the type of game he plays.

Nope.

He was central to our best play today. Give him some credit.

Did say he took his goal well. The play in general is just awful. It's noticeable throughout the game just how little roy and sammie speak to each other. Roy certainly is stuck in his ways, which is not always a bad thing in a manager, but is when your under hodgson.

I'd like to see him play on the left more. It seems like he might not go backwards as often when he's cutting inside onto his right foot and gets into more varied positions in the box.

you must've missed his games on the left last season then?! I was irate when Roy put him on the left today but fortunately it worked out in the end, Maxi is a quality player but we still aren't playing to his strengths, the games we did last season (Portsmouth Burnley and maybe a couple more) with Stevie, Aquilani,Torres and Maxi playing fluid attacking football were great to watch

Guest San Don
Nope.

He was central to our best play today. Give him some credit.

Agree with that. He has looked the last couple of games. Hope he continues to do so and shows that consistency.

you must've missed his games on the left last season then?!

To be honest, most of last season is kind of hazy to me. I know I watched those games, but I'll be damned if I can remember anything specific about them. I think all the fan squabbling from last season may have actually overpowered the football in my memory.

Today, I thought Maxi got into good positions more often when he was playing from the left, but it's possible that it's partly down to N'Gogs introduction leaving more space for him and us getting more players forward in general.

The more we have of the ball the more we get out of Maxi. If the game's stretched, he gets isolated and doesn't have the power to hold the ball up or the pace to fly past his man with ease, and is less effective because of this. When we keep hold of the ball and play it on the deck, he passes it well and finds space, making him more useful. I don't trust Hodgson to get the best out of him regularly, but he's been impressive the last couple of games so hopefully we might see it continue.

• 5 months later...