You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Babbel to return to Germany?

Hermes

12-02-04

Babbel eyeing return to Germany

Blackburn Rovers on-loan defender, Markus Babbel, has confirmed that Schalke and Hamburg are interested in taking him back to Germany.

Babbel is spending the season on loan at Blackburn but he is contracted to Liverpool until the summer of 2006. With Liverpool reported to be prepared to sell the former German international defender, Babbel admits he is considering a return to his homeland.

"Schalke's general manager Rudi Assauer called me shortly before Die Bundesliga resumed after the winter break and asked me about my contract," the 31-year-old told Kicker," he confirmed.

"At the beginning of the season I had also be in touch with Hamburg, but I had just agreed to move to Blackburn.

"Both clubs are interesting, because they have tradition and are ambitious, but right now I haven't made up my mind."

"It's very important to me that after my long-lasting injury and the two years' break I have got the chance to play again," he added.

"Here (Blackburn) I am allowed to commit mistakes and overall things are going okay for me.

"On the one hand I am okay with Blackburn and on the other hand I am still crazy for Liverpool as I am used to competing with the best

Does anybody think Finnan is better than Babbel?. In my opinion Finnan canot tackle and is not the attacking full-back we were led to believe that we were signing. Please post opinions on that statement.

On form and fully fit, there is absolutely no contest. Babbel urinates on Finnan from a large height. He seems to have played most games at Blackburn this season which would indicate that his fitness is fine, but looks like he's had his chips at Anfield, unfortunately. I would have him back like a shot, personally, simply because Finnan has not, and i doubt ever will, impress me.

I think Finnan is a good buy. No one will argue that Babbel is by far the superior or at least was, but I think Finnan has done OK. He still needs time to settle and has had a few injuries, so if he can stay injury free then he will be good for us.

As for Babbel, I would love to see him back, but he is not the player he was. Perhaps either GH or any new manager should sit down with him in pre-season and say that if he gets his head down and works hard he will be given another chance. If not then it is only Babbel to blame. He had a serious injury and Liverpool supported him to the hilt and gave him a new contract even though he may never have played again. That is real support and he repaid it by moaning and being a d1ck head in reserve games. If GH lets him go I can't really argue. Still I'd have the talk with him at the end of the season and see what Babbel has to say and try and asses his attitude. It's just a shame. I think the disease messed with his mind (whose mind wouldn't be, when you get a life threatening illness). In all I wish Marcus all the best, and would love it if he was given and took another chance with us.

Agree with Rex.I think Finnan's done ok and will improve as he gets more games but obviously he's not in the same class as Babbel at his best.

But - is Babbel anywhere near his best and could he convince GH that his attitude is right?And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he playing mostly in central defence these days?Has he got the pace and stamina for RB now?

I thought Babbel was one of our best players in the treble season and was gutted when he got that illness. I haven't seen much of him at Blackburn but given our injuries I'm sure he'd have improved our defence this season, either at RB or CB.

As for Finnan, I think it's unfair to judge him just yet as his first season with us has been interrupted by injury. Let's hope he stays fit until May and lives up to expectations.

My mates a big Blackburn fan and goes to all their games. He says that he's playing reallly well and is the only consistant one in their back four this season. If he has the right attitude, then he will be good for us again and it is useful he can play at centre back as cover. However, he needs to get his head straight as when he left for Blackburn he was talking about going to a "team going places" which was a bit disrespectful to us and now he is saying that " he is used to competing with the best" which is disrespectful to Blackburn. For any faults or arguments against GH, I back him fully on this one, whatever he decides to do

I think the illness took any pace he had away and he would get found out playing at RB. Still have him back if his attitude was right, would give H & H defensive cover, still think Houllier will still get rid of him which is a shame.

Markus was fantastic in the treble year at right back and so far Finnan hasn't lived up to those standards, but in time I think 'Finn' will prove to be a fantastic player for us. Don't forget he missed pre-season through injury and has also had a month out during this season so I think he's done quite well to be fair.

Disagree with anyone who says he's not the attacking full back we all thought, he plays as a right winger most of the time!

Would love Markus to come back because I still think he's got it but we'll have to see.

Isn't Babbel on a £50K a week contract with us? Rather let him go permanently then bring him in just as cover therefore draining £2.5 Million worth of funds a season! Great player in his day but was never going to be the same after that illness:(

Guest Bellflower
houllier takes no shite off anyone.

No ? Takes it off the Donkey every time he goes on the pitch

I'm not saying every time the Donkey plays anymore, because he doesn't.

Babbel was obviously well off the pace against Villa and had to come off. GH was understanding the first time he spat his dummy out because of the life threatening illness Babbel had been through. However, he did it again and in my view was taking the piss.

He was a great player for us and could provide cover for the centre backs. However, we need pace in those positions now and, as has already been said, he's on a lot of money to be just a back up man.

Babbel will probably never get the level he previously was at but even now a 100% fit Babbel who may have lost a yard of pace is better than the Biscans and Traores of this world and could definately still do a job for us. BUT I also think that Finnan has also done bloody great job for us and will get even better when the team fully gels.

Thins Ryan has a good point about the level of wages as they are probably not far off that. Thing is we gave him a 2 year extension whilst he was ill, a nice gesture but ultimately LFC are a business and football club not a charity. I dont think my employer would guarantee my salary for another two years if I was that ill.

Guest Original202

I'd welcome a return of the 2001 Babbel.

Think he's worth having back anyway, great centre back and great right back. Not to mention all his experience.

I think Finnan is a decent enough player but I don't think we really needed him.

Guest McBermin
Do Blackburn pay his full £50K a week wages for the duration of the loan or just a percentage?

I think Blackburn may be paying half his wages, im not sure.

Would love to see Markus back next season :yes: Any new manager might want him back as well so never say never, come home No6 Markus.

Guest Kirkland
Markus was fantastic in the treble year at right back and so far Finnan hasn't lived up to those standards, but in time I think 'Finn' will prove to be a fantastic player for us. Don't forget he missed pre-season through injury and has also had a month out during this season so I think he's done quite well to be fair.

Disagree with anyone who says he's not the attacking full back we all thought, he plays as a right winger most of the time!

Would love Markus to come back because I still think he's got it but we'll have to see.

I don't think finnan can help us although he is pacey and can pass,that's about it. Babbel is strong, bull like defender who when on song can marshall liverpool like no one can. He is a class defender. We shud bring him back as soon as possible.

Guest heropsychodreamer
I don't think finnan can help us although he is pacey and can pass,that's about it. Babbel is strong, bull like defender who when on song can marshall liverpool like no one can. He is a class defender. We shud bring him back as soon as possible.

The Babbel of the treble season was... He will never be the same player again. I think Finnan has don reasonably well, and expect more of him next season if he can stay injury free and get a good pre season behind him.