You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Purslow was appointed in June, Rafa got his new contract long before that.

Really?

“The most important aspect of the football club I was involved in in my first week in the job was securing Rafa for another five years. You only have to look at the Premiership era and our two major competitors in the last 10 to 12 years to see the benefits of longevity."

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - Liverpool FC - News - Liverpool FC managing director Christian Purslow backs Rafa benitez

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree - hence teh situation he finds himself in this summer

but 1 of the main reasons for his massive new contract last season was because he had made himself no.1 at Liverpool and had convinced the owners that the club could not be run without him

Who can blame him for that - if you were in the position to do that wouldn't you do it?

Turn your anger away from Benitez and focus it on the Leeches.

Rafael Benitez signs new Liverpool contract until 2014

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has finally ended speculation over his future, signing a four-year contract extension worth around £20 million that will keep him at Anfield until 2014.

By Paul Kelso, Chief Sports Reporter

Published: 10:01PM GMT 18 Mar 2009

After months of tortured negotiations that have seen the contract redrafted at least eight times, Benitez and the American co-owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, finally agreed terms yesterday afternoon.

The removal of chief executive Rick Parry, who leaves in May, is understood to have been the key in persuading Benitez to extend a relationship that began in 2004.

Inside Rafa's new deal Parry’s exit was announced just after the first leg of the Champions League tie with Real Madrid, and once the second leg and the Premier League visit to Manchester United were completed with handsome victories, Benitez decided to end the uncertainty.

The deal was closed with a series of faxes and telephone conversations between the Spaniard’s advisers and the Americans. Frustration at Benitez’s prevarication has been growing, with some connected with the club suspecting he was holding out for an offer from Real Madrid.

Benitez has repeatedly used the contract negotiations to enhance his position at Anfield. He has often raised the stakes, twice publicly rejecting contract offers on the eve of crucial league matches since January.

He has also quibbled over detail, demanding that the contract be paid in euros, then sterling, and seeking a clause that allows him to leave if the club is sold and he does not like the new owners.

“My heart is with Liverpool Football Club, so I’m delighted to sign this new deal,’’ Benitez said last night. “I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club like this and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying.”

“It is wonderful news that Rafa has made a long-term commitment to the football club,’’ said Hicks. Gillett said: “With Rafa continuing to manage the team, we can look forward to more great football and success on the pitch.”

Big deal - How the Benitez contract saga unfolded:

August 2008: Benitez reportedly comes close to quitting the club over their failure to back his transfer bid for Gareth Barry.

November 2008: The club’s co-owner Tom Hicks expresses his desire to sort Benitez’s long-term future out and talks over a five-year extension open.

December 2008: Benitez agrees personal terms on the extension to his current contract. Sources close to the deal intimate that money is not an issue. Benitez is concerned, though, that he should play a more active role in setting valuations on transfer targets and the two sides fail to agree a deal.

January 2009: The Spaniard turns down two drafts of his deal amid fears he does not enjoy the same level of control in the transfer market as several of his Premier League counterparts. He also wants assurances on contracts for his coaches and criticises the club for being slow to offer players such as Daniel Agger new deals.

February 2009: Benitez turns down another draft of his deal after asking for guarantees over his own personal position in the event that the club is sold or secures new investment. He insists he does want to stay but admits there are no guarantees that he will be able to.

February 2009: A flurry of bets force bookmakers to stop all wagers on whether Benitez will quit as Liverpool manager by the end of the month.

March 2009: Chief executive Rick Parry announces he is to leave the club at the end of the season after 12 years at the helm.

March 18 2009: Benitez finally puts pen to paper on a new five-year deal after the club satisfies all of his demands, stating he would never have been able to say no to staying.

Rafael Benitez signs new Liverpool contract until 2014 - Telegraph

Liverpool appoint Christian Purslow as their new managing director

Liverpool have appointed Christian Purslow, a financier with strong links to Merseyside, as their new managing director.

By Paul Kelso, Chief Sports Reporter

Published: 10:19AM BST 22 Jun 2009

Liverpool have unveiled Christian Purslow as Ricky Parry's replacement. Purslow, an Anfield season-ticket holder, will join the board and take over many of the responsibilities of outgoing chief executive Rick Parry, but will step aside when a full-time replacement for Parry is appointed.

Purslow's priorities will be to renegotiate the £350m loan with RBS due to be repaid at the end of July and to work with manager Rafa Benitez on summer transfer targets.

Mascherano agent holds Barca talks Purslow, whose background is in private equity, speaks fluent Spanish and has already struck a relationship with Benitez. He is understood to have played a role in the negotiations surrounding Fernando Torres's new contract.

A friend of club legend Kenny Dalglish, Purslow was recommended to owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett as a potential new board member and has the support of both of them. Crucially this should allow him to bridge the divide that occasionally appears before the American owners.

The new managing director is also said to have decent relations with senior staff at RBS including chief executive Stephen Hester, and club sources said the bank welcomed his appointment.

Talks with RBS will take place imminently, with the owners prospects of satisfying the bank's demands enhanced by Gillett's impending sale of the Montreal Canadiens. With Hicks yet to raise finance from his for sale US assets, it remains to be seen if this affects the delicate equilibrium between the owners.

Liverpool appoint Christian Purslow as their new managing director - Telegraph

I'm nearly sure i read that Purslow was here a good bit before the contract was signed.

He was. But Code has an issue with this.

Amazing that Purslow didn't join for a full 4 months after Rafa signed his contract, yet he is still happy to say to the press that his first main job was get Rafa tied down to a contract. What an odd thing to lie about when it is so easy to disprove....... Or could Code be wrong? Again....

And yet just a few months after this it seems that Purslow was undermining Rafa in the middle of a crucial season with a view to getting him to resign and save the yanks a few million that they were obliged to give him under the terms of that same contract. Things sure change fast at this shambles of a club.

Guest The Chimp
Whoever comes in will have my full support unless/until they show they're not worthy of it. Surely that's not too much to ask for any new manager?

In theory I guess that's the way it should be, but for me personally if it was the likes of O'Neill, McLeish or Hughes coming in - even Hodgson if I'm being totally honest - then I'd find it hard to summon up that support. In fact I think I'd be the opposite to you in that they'd have to win me around. Not covering myself in glory perhaps, but it's how I feel.

Rafa on Mourinho to Real Madrid:

"I know Mourinho has dreamed a lot of coaching Real Madrid but I do not know if he is the right person to train Madrid. Pellegrini has done a great job and deserves great respect because he's still coach and it's not pleasant to hear talk about who's going to replace you."

No of course not, much better to spend 6 years leaking the names of clubs who are supposedly interested in signing you up.

"I know Mourinho has dreamed a lot of coaching Real Madrid but I do not know if he is the right person to train Madrid. Pellegrini has done a great job and deserves great respect because he's still coach and it's not pleasant to hear talk about who's going to replace you."

No of course not, much better to spend 6 years leaking the names of clubs who are supposedly interested in signing you up.

This.

Do you think Benitez would have won the title at Chelsea with the money available?

Do you think Benitez would have won the title at Inter with the money available?