You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't mind the whole £16 Million issue.

I just think it's ridiculous to suggest he some sort of Martyr, he's in the best position at this club.

Whereas I think it's ridicules to think he solely wants to stay out of greed. Both stand points are daft.

I just can't understand why people always have to look for some conspiracy or wild theory when more then likely he's just happy here, thinks he can turn things around and wants to stay.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whereas I think it's ridicules to think he solely wants to stay out of greed. Both stand points are daft.

I just can't understand why people always have to look for some conspiracy or wild theory when more then likely he's just happy here, thinks he can turn things around and wants to stay.

I don't think it's some sort of conspiracy Johnny, but as I said I don't fall for the whole 'He loves Liverpool Football Club', because he doesn't, I have no doubt his family are happy hence the reason he's fighting tooth and nail, and i admire that in a certain sense.

But he used the fans in getting the 5 year contract, and the owners simply had to sign him on to save their own skins, he took advantage of 'some' fans seeming desperation to have him on for 5 years.

Don't get me wrong, i wasn't annoyed that he got a contract, it's just he wanted 5 years, when it should have been 3, with an extra two when he wins a major trophy, but it was once more a 'Rafa v the owners' situation and he came out of it smelling like flowers.

I suppose this is as good a thread as any, my Aunties Brother used to play for Liverpool in the early sixties, never made it beyond a couple of seasons in the reserves. He is adamant that Paisley was the reason for the success during the Shankly era, and points to the subsequent success under Paisley as proof. He dismisses Shankly as an egotist who spoke to players out of the first team like dirt, and said that players were terrified of him.

Personally I think he is full of shit and bitter because he got fucked off, something my Uncle delights in telling me. I suppose that makes him an ITK.

Unless Tom, Spy Bee, Dave U, Micky and Tich have had in depth conversations with every Liverpool player, past and present, then any arguments are flawed.

The rafapologists were sure quick to paint Alonso as greedy when we left for Madrid.

I don't think it's some sort of conspiracy Johnny, but as I said I don't fall for the whole 'He loves Liverpool Football Club', because he doesn't, I have no doubt his family are happy hence the reason he's fighting tooth and nail, and i admire that in a certain sense.

But he used the fans in getting the 5 year contract, and the owners simply had to sign him on to save their own skins, he took advantage of 'some' fans seeming desperation to have him on for 5 years.

Don't get me wrong, i wasn't annoyed that he got a contract, it's just he wanted 5 years, when it should have been 3, with an extra two when he wins a major trophy, but it was once more a 'Rafa v the owners' situation and he came out of it smelling like flowers.

I don't think you do think there is a conspiracy Ant, it was more of a general comment as so many people now seem to look far too much into every little action at the club to try and find some weird and woderful reason for what ever the issue is, instead of just looking at the most obvious reason, as that is usually what the situation is. Somebody yesterday said "I just can't understand what Benitez is at now that he has not gone to Juve" when more then likely the reason is that he just wants to stay because he likes it here and feels he can be a success.

How did he "use the fans" for his contract? I don’t think Purslow would be in any way swayed as to whether to give him a 3 or 5 year contract. And I certainly don’t remember any campaign to get Benitez a 5 year contract by fans. And why did the owners simply have to sign him to save their skin?

Also, why doesn't he love Liverpool football club? What makes you say this so categorically? He has certainly put up with some amount of shite from the owners. And it's not money before we hear that old nonsense again as he would easily get the same salary, if not more, at Juve or Real.

The rafapologists were sure quick to paint Alonso as greedy when we left for Madrid.

So the people who said one of the reasons Alonso left was for the money are thrown in with the Rafapologists now also?

Any chance you could do up a list of our opinions please as I tend to forget and it would be good if you could remind us?

But anyway, how does Alonso being called greedy (I don't think he was greedy so where does that leave me as I'm a "Rafapologist" apparantly?) for leaving for more money to Real, compare with Rafa being greedy for staying with alleged less money at Liverpool?

Benitez expects quality arrivals - Liverpool FC

Rafael Benitez is confident Liverpool will still be able to attract high-class signings this summer despite the absence of Champions League football next season.

He is confident Liverpool can still bring in the right calibre of player even though they are playing in the Europa League next season.

"Liverpool is a massive club and can attract top-class players because of their name and their history and the quality we have in the squad," said the Reds boss.

"Always we have targets in mind. We have been working and preparing the targets and every year is the same."

Reds prepare swoop for duo - Liverpool FC

Reports had surfaced that Liverpool could not meet Cole's wage demands, however with Tottenham also baulking at Cole's demands and his current club Chelsea not prepared to pay Cole what he wants the player now has to lower his financial demands.

The only problem for Liverpool is that Cole wants Champions League football something that Liverpool can no longer offer, that however is seen as a mild stumbling block and while Spurs remain favourites to end up with Cole, he could still end up at Anfield.

Stephen Ireland wants out of Manchester City desperately, he is unhappy there and Liverpool have been linked with the player on a regular basis.

City are prepared to listen to offers for Ireland who has accepted that he will not figure in Roberto Mancini's plans next season and again Benitez will face stiff competition from Harry Redknapp's Tottenham.

The advantage this time for Liverpool though is that Ireland wants to remain in the North of England and that has put Liverpool in the driving seat but and it is a big but, Man Utd are also said to be interested in the Man City midfielder and a move from Sir Alex Ferguson is seen as a bigger obstacle than a bid from Tottenham.

It at least appears that things are starting to settle down at Anfield, he club is now looking forward with a more positive outlook and the doom merchants that were writing off both Rafa Benitez and Liverpool may find that they have jumped the gun somewhat.

I don't think you do think there is a conspiracy Ant, it was more of a general comment as so many people now seem to look far too much into every little action at the club to try and find some weird and woderful reason for what ever the issue is, instead of just looking at the most obvious reason, as that is usually what the situation is. Somebody yesterday said "I just can't understand what Benitez is at now that he has not gone to Juve" when more then likely the reason is that he just wants to stay because he likes it here and feels he can be a success.

How did he "use the fans" for his contract? I don’t think Purslow would be in any way swayed as to whether to give him a 3 or 5 year contract. And I certainly don’t remember any campaign to get Benitez a 5 year contract by fans. And why did the owners simply have to sign him to save their skin?

Also, why doesn't he love Liverpool football club? What makes you say this so categorically? He has certainly put up with some amount of shite from the owners. And it's not money before we hear that old nonsense again as he would easily get the same salary, if not more, at Juve or Real.

He doesn't love Liverpool Football Club for the reasons you just stated, time and time again he has felt within his right to remind us that 'I could have been elsewhere'. What sort of attitude is that? He is lucky to be at Liverpool Football Club, no manager, player or fan is bigger than the club. Fowler realised that 10 years ago, and Gerrard did as well, it's time Benitez did.

People not particularly yourself have seen the issue more in the past as being 'Benitez v The Owners', and the contract wasn't about Liverpool FC. It was a power play. He deserved a contract, but he could drive a hard bargain for two reasons

1. The Yanks needed Benitez more than he needed the Yanks

2. The Fans

He still had the fans backing, and he will always have the fans backing in any potential argument with the owners within reason. He got one of the best contracts in the league last year, despite the lack of funds, and the rumoured gagging order, he left that room when he signed that contract with his future secure. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just think and feel he sold his out for personal gain, and not for the gain of Liverpool Football Club.

I don't think he was promised funding, not at all, hence the reason why he hasn't spoken out.

Reds prepare swoop for duo - Liverpool FC

Reports had surfaced that Liverpool could not meet Cole's wage demands, however with Tottenham also baulking at Cole's demands and his current club Chelsea not prepared to pay Cole what he wants the player now has to lower his financial demands.

The only problem for Liverpool is that Cole wants Champions League football something that Liverpool can no longer offer, that however is seen as a mild stumbling block and while Spurs remain favourites to end up with Cole, he could still end up at Anfield.

Stephen Ireland wants out of Manchester City desperately, he is unhappy there and Liverpool have been linked with the player on a regular basis.

City are prepared to listen to offers for Ireland who has accepted that he will not figure in Roberto Mancini's plans next season and again Benitez will face stiff competition from Harry Redknapp's Tottenham.

The advantage this time for Liverpool though is that Ireland wants to remain in the North of England and that has put Liverpool in the driving seat but and it is a big but, Man Utd are also said to be interested in the Man City midfielder and a move from Sir Alex Ferguson is seen as a bigger obstacle than a bid from Tottenham.

It at least appears that things are starting to settle down at Anfield, he club is now looking forward with a more positive outlook and the doom merchants that were writing off both Rafa Benitez and Liverpool may find that they have jumped the gun somewhat.

Well colour me surprised that the official website has linked to this article.......

He doesn't love Liverpool Football Club for the reasons you just stated, time and time again he has felt within his right to remind us that 'I could have been elsewhere'. What sort of attitude is that? He is lucky to be at Liverpool Football Club, no manager, player or fan is bigger than the club. Fowler realised that 10 years ago, and Gerrard did as well, it's time Benitez did.

People not particularly yourself have seen the issue more in the past as being 'Benitez v The Owners', and the contract wasn't about Liverpool FC. It was a power play. He deserved a contract, but he could drive a hard bargain for two reasons

1. The Yanks needed Benitez more than he needed the Yanks

2. The Fans

He still had the fans backing, and he will always have the fans backing in any potential argument with the owners within reason. He got one of the best contracts in the league last year, despite the lack of funds, and the rumoured gagging order, he left that room when he signed that contract with his future secure. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just think and feel he sold his out for personal gain, and not for the gain of Liverpool Football Club.

I don't think he was promised funding, not at all, hence the reason why he hasn't spoken out.

So when asked about leaving the club or interest from Real, etc, and he has said he could have gone but wants to stay here, that is him somehow showing that he doesn't love the club? That is just a complete reach Ant. I agree with you that Rafa has played the political game during this total mess since February 2007, but to suggest this is some sort of proof that he doesn't love the club is, in my opinion, nonsensical. For me, with all the shite he has had to put up with, there is infinitely more proof that he does love the club, then doesn't. And where does Gerrards regular references to how he could have gone elsewhere but couldn't leave, fit in with all this?

And yes, he got one of the best contract is the league last year on the back of a 2nd place finish with the second highest points total in our history. I agree that 5 years was too long, but the idea that the fans pressured the club into giving that contract just does not have any basis in fact if you ask me. There was no pressure on the club to offer him a 5 year contract.

Casey Coffman drew up the contract for Rafa, I had heard.

Either way Al, I don't think they would have been massively swayed by the fan base, especially as I don't remember any big movement from the fans demanding Rafa get a 5 year deal as opposed to 2 or 3 years.

I woulnd't be surprised if the owners agreed to tie him down long term to show stability ahead of hopeful investment, but I don't think the fans and some fanciful pressure from Rafa on the fans, had an bearing in this.

I honestly believe were going to be having fights for the next few years over Rafa as I'm pretty certain he will be staying, I am going to knock it on the head with the abuse to him as it ends up killing me inside, I will be taking my seat next season in the match and just supporting the team that unfortunatly will be looking a lot different from the one we had a few weeks ago(for the worse).

Really horrible how this club has gone, horrible how the fanbase has gone and no end in sight.

Just hope England win the world cup, Johnny boy.

I agree Al. We all know where everyone stands. I also am pretty sure Rafa will stay now. To be honest, the idea of top players or the manager leaving doesn't really fill me with much emotion either way, as it's the actual ownership that my mind always wanders back to and gets me annoyed and wound up. My heart is not really in transfers and managerial changes until the owners issue and the dire position of the club is hopefully sorted.

Usually I don't really get bothered with the World Cup, but I'm really looking forward to it this year after such a shite season and will be supporting Spain and England, especially now Carra is back in the squad.

It seems greed is good everywhere though now as I was offered my ST back in the Upper Cent for a £1000! Touting bastards.

Guest PurpleNose
ALL of this material has been covered in EVERY thread.

That was the point I was making. In typically British fashion.

I agree Al. We all know where everyone stands. I also am pretty sure Rafa will stay now. To be honest, the idea of top players or the manager leaving doesn't really fill me with much emotion either way, as it's the actual ownership that my mind always wanders back to and gets me annoyed and wound up. My heart is not really in transfers and managerial changes until the owners issue and the dire position of the club is hopefully sorted.

Usually I don't really get bothered with the World Cup, but I'm really looking forward to it this year after such a shite season and will be supporting Spain and England, especially now Carra is back in the squad.

It seems greed is good everywhere though now as I was offered my ST back in the Upper Cent for a £1000! Touting bastards.

What?!

That is the last thing I want happening. Uni lectures next year will be unbearable with cockney Essex wankers wearing their shirts and proclaiming to know everything there is to know about football when, in reality, they know the square root of fuck all!

Please god no.

What?!

That is the last thing I want happening. Uni lectures next year will be unbearable with cockney Essex wankers wearing their shirts and proclaiming to know everything there is to know about football when, in reality, they know the square root of fuck all!

Please god no.

You seem to be confusing two different regions there. People from Essex aren't Cockneys. What you've done there is the equivalent of calling someone a Yorkshire Scouser.

There was no pressure on the club to offer him a 5 year contract.

bollocks

the yanks wanted to appease the fans so they gave him his massive contract

but on Rafa's part he has made himself so ingrained in everything that goes on at the club that the owners could do nothing else other than offer him a new contract

Rafa's plan is/was to wait out the yanks - unfortunately his results on the pitch last season have fucked that plan up and now there are question marks over whether he is still the right man for the job

for me he should have been sacked in Jan tho and we should have got Hiddink in

bollocks

the yanks wanted to appease the fans so they gave him his massive contract

but on Rafa's part he has made himself so ingrained in everything that goes on at the club that the owners could do nothing else other than offer him a new contract

Rafa's plan is/was to wait out the yanks - unfortunately his results on the pitch last season have fucked that plan up and now there are question marks over whether he is still the right man for the job

for me he should have been sacked in Jan tho and we should have got Hiddink in

To quote you, "Bollocks"

No manager is so "ingrained" in a club anywhere in the world that it makes him unsackable.

To quote you, "Bollocks"

No manager is so "ingrained" in a club anywhere in the world that it makes him unsackable.

i agree - hence teh situation he finds himself in this summer

but 1 of the main reasons for his massive new contract last season was because he had made himself no.1 at Liverpool and had convinced the owners that the club could not be run without him

Purslow was appointed in June, Rafa got his new contract long before that.