Quantcast
FAO Photography virgins - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tom R

FAO Photography virgins

I've always wanted a nice SLR camera but have never really wanted to fork out the £600+ for one.

A good friend of mine however now has one going second hand - a Canon 450D + 18-55mm lens as she's upgrading to a "Canon 5D Mark II", whatever that is.

Anyhoo - Is this a decent camera for my needs i.e. BASIC. And what should I look to pay for one second-hand?

She's basically looking for "offers" on it and they're anywhere between £500-600 brand new.

But I just really don't know what the values are for second hand cameras and there doesn't seem to be any on ebay to make a judgement.

Would I be insulting her if I offered her, say, 200 squids?

Cheers virgins x

She's a pretty good mate like. She the girlfriend of my my wife's best mate.

Fuck it. I'll go in at £200. She can only say no I guess.

Tom,

how interested are you in photography? If all you need a camera for is to take pics of nights out with the missus, family gatherings etc then the 450D is overkill. You'd be better off with a compact; they're lighter, cheaper and easier to use.

If you have more than a passing interest in photography and would like to pursue it as a serious hobby then it might be worth getting.

Can't help you with the costs in the UK, as I'm not in the UK.

Sandman.

The 450d is a nice camera, and depending on how much use it’s had, condition and actuations etc, 200 notes might sound a little tight of you :)

Ah fuck it, like you said she can only say no!

You might want to have a look at dpreview.com for info on cameras and camera kit if you were thinking of making a part time hobby out of it.

In my opinion you can’t go wrong with a Canon or Nikon when you are in SLR territory.

As a guide, I had a Nikon D50 for 3 years, paid about £550 for it in 2006 and sold it last year on ebay for £150. The Canon is a better camera though.

I reckon if you offer £200-£250 and a bumming she's getting a reasonable deal.

Edit: I was selling that without a lens, so I'd probably offer more towards £250.

Let's dispense with the pleasantries and crystalise the discussion here.

On the one hand, she's a mate and the camera is clearly worth £250-300 second hand. On the other hand, she wants cash because she's got her eye on her new camera just like you've got your eye on her old one.

If she's a mate, she's not going to think you're trying to rip her off if you go in at £200 - she'll probably just assume you're a daft cunt who knows fuck all about cameras, so go in at £200. The fact that she bought that £600 camera in the first place suggests she's clued up about them, it would be a lot of cash if she only uses it for girls night out snaps on facebook (not to mention difficult to fit into a handbag) so if she doesn't know what it's worth, that's her lookout. If she's happy to sell it at that price great, if not you know you'll go up to £250 for it, maybe more because you've wanted one for a while and it's attainable now, so make her a better offer.

Failing that, bum her to death, steal the camera and send an e-mail to her entire address book saying that she's gone to Peru for three months to "discover herself". Then burn her house down.

Bumming her is out of the question.

She's gay, and a really good friend's (my wife's best mate) girlfriend, which makes her strangely immune to my advances.

regards my own interests - I've got a good eye for a picture and i'm looking to take things in to a hobby more than judst casual phot taking, so I guess that's why I'm after an SLR.

She's still had no bids on ebay, so I might be in with a chance with it like.